New Sneakers

Join other MINI owners on the track in a non-competitive environment for High Performance Drivers Ed (HPDE)

Moderator: MINIBee

New Sneakers

Postby yachtcomputing » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:36 am

Sorry to be an excited kid with a new toy but I got my first R-Comps for MLC-Mini to be used this weekend at Winterfest/Sebring.

Nitto NT01 215/45/17 on Enkei Racing NT03+M 17x7.5 rims.

Many thanks to Dan at Outperformanceshop.com and King, an Engineer at Enkei for going beyond the call of duty to help me find rims with the correct (I'll coin the phrase because it is a yet un-published spec) Spoke Offset Clearance [SOC]. King litterally got out the tape measure to measure rims to determine the space between the inner hub face of the wheel to the nearest inner face of the spokes. The goal is to determine if, when bolted on, the spokes clear the custome calipers. This is not a published spec but a very important one. Wheel Offset is NOT a spec that can be relied upon for this clearance.

For a close up http://yc-motorsports.com/NewSneakersWheel.JPG
Yellow'02 C/S Madness Stage 4 Engine, KW Var2 Coilovers, Rear Rollcage, TCE 13" Rotors, Wilwood 4 Piston Calipers, 27mmRear Swaybar, Urethane Bushings, Borla Ex
yachtcomputing
Losing Control

Postby LgEnf » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:54 pm

Pedro runs those tires - likes them bunches - I am sure he will chime in on this
Jamie and Staci
2004 Indi Blue MCS (Monty) Blue Flame catback, K&N Blue CAI Typhoon, Minspeed 15% pulley, BC coilovers, M7 USS, Minspeed 19mm rear swaybar, Hawk HT10 brake pads (one bad a$$ track ride)
2005 Ram SRT10 QC (Valerie)
LgEnf
Let's face it, you've lost it

Postby sBox » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:19 pm

I loved the ones I bought from Minibeast. I still have them too.
'06 RG/S MCS, Dinan Cowl + Stage 3 Software, Dinan STB, OS Giken LSD, ACT XTSS clutch/flywheel, 15% pulley, JCW Exhaust, 19mm Rear Sway Bar, H-Sport Camber Plates, Bilstein PSS9s, TSW Control Arms, '09 R56 Front Brakes
sBox
Barely in Control

Postby mct » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:19 pm

Nice choice! You will really enjoy the Nittos!
Pedro
2016 MINI Cooper S with JCW Tuning Kit - Clark
mct
SSM Track Junkie

Postby beaner » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:00 pm

wheels looks great and the added grip from the Nittos should be fun. later braking, earlier power application and higher corner speeds are all fun in this environment. pedro only ran these tires at daytona, which adds much more right side heat than most tracks. i'd start at 35 lbs all around, check pressures after a couple of sessions and adjust accordingly. try to concentrate on running consistent laps. this is the only way to be able to evaluate any changes that you make to your setup. have fun and post vids.
greg
i'm out of room before i'm out of gears.
beaner
What's Control??

Postby maitland » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:20 pm

Saw them on tirerack on sale a few months ago and almost pulled the trigger. Good weight, good width.
The Nitto's are a fine tire. Good step up from a street tire. Used em on a miata year or so ago for a time attack at Laguna. Ran em hard all weekend and hardly noticed any wear. They bark quite a bit kinda like a Hoosier R6 but with less Grip.... ie your not going fast until you hear them sing!
Ian
2009 NASA TTC National Champion
03 Cooper S > RMW Topmount Rotrex Supercharger Kit 350whp, Vipec ECU, RMW Crankshaft, Group 4 Aero, OSGiken LSD Clutch/Flywheel, RWM Header/RACE cam/Cylinder Head, AST coilovers.
http://www.maitlandimports.com
maitland
Out of Control

Sebring

Postby yachtcomputing » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:53 pm

It's going to be interesting. Sat Morning is in the 30's at Sebring ....Higher horsepower, colder tires..........

I hoping not to win anymore John Deer awards for fastest lawn mowed!
Yellow'02 C/S Madness Stage 4 Engine, KW Var2 Coilovers, Rear Rollcage, TCE 13" Rotors, Wilwood 4 Piston Calipers, 27mmRear Swaybar, Urethane Bushings, Borla Ex
yachtcomputing
Losing Control

Postby beaner » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:22 am

if you would swap out the black roofs and stripes for some green....
i'm out of room before i'm out of gears.
beaner
What's Control??

Postby dacarch501 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:42 pm

Nice Wheels and tires! I have a friend who has used them (NT-01's on an M3) at Sebring with good results. It looks like we will be the only MINI's representing this weekend, (other than Mr. pace car minibeast).
We will likely have a tent near Foreign Affairs, (my M3 friend is in Super solo for the first time.)
Come by and say hi (05 Hyper Blue). I will be the slower car on the SOLO group, trying hard to go fast. I am using the last stint on a set of Azenis RT-615's on s-Lites... not the best set up, but one I know well on this track. Still putting together an r-compound set on lighter 16's, but times are tough.
Dan
"El pasado es humo, el futuro viento, hay que vivir en el momento." -translation:"The past is smoke, the future wind, you must live in the moment." ... it rhymes in spanish.
dacarch501
Still has full Control

Return to Track Days