MINI Event/Meet at Sebring, Oct. 6-7 (NASA)

Join other MINI owners on the track in a non-competitive environment for High Performance Drivers Ed (HPDE)

Moderator: MINIBee

MINI Event/Meet at Sebring, Oct. 6-7 (NASA)

Postby Blainestang » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:21 am

MINI Event/Meet at Sebring International Raceway on October 6-7! NASA Florida Region is putting on a Track Day and Auto-X that weekend, and we're tired of seeing only a couple other MINIs at these events! Registration opened August 6, and we're working with the overall organizer (who has posted below as 'getfast') to answer any questions and make this a great MINI Event. More details to follow!

What makes this NASA Event great is that it has something for EVERYONE. For those who want to experience the historic Sebring International Raceway and drive your car as hard and fast as you are comfortable, you've got a couple options:

High Performance Driving Event (HDPE): Separate groups for first-timers up to people with years of experience
Hyperdrive: A single 20-minute session with the HDPE-1 (beginners) group to get your feet wet (it's much cheaper than the whole weekend, as well)

Also, for those who don't want to drive the HPDE or Hyperdrive, there's an Auto-X event on Sunday and an Auto-X school on Saturday! Myself and another SSM member, theging, represented MINI well at the last event, coming in 1st and 2nd in our respective classes!

Finally, for those who don't want to drive the HPDE or the Auto-X, spectators are free to enter and have free range of the paddock and can watch all the events. Additionally, depending on the desires of those that sign up, we can organize dinner(s), car show, etc.

If anyone has ANY questions, whatsoever, please feel free to send me a PM or ask a question here on the forum. And just to answer a very common question: No, you don't have to have a heavily modified JCW to have an absolute blast at this event. More to come on that soon.

Here's where we need your help... we don't have a name for this event, as you can see on the 'flyer'! So, let's hear some event name ideas! Oh, and get registered to drive your MINI like it was meant to be driven! Oh, and any comments, questions, concerns, ideas... please post them! The more input, the better.

Here's the link to the NASA registration/info Page:

http://www.drivenasafl.com/sheduleresults/sebring

Also, for anyone considering the full track day (HPDE), there are a limited number of $75 discount codes for new members if you email the director, Jon Felton, whose info is on that page.

Also, I'll start a list of people planning to come:

HPDE:
1. Blainestang
2. Beaner

Hyperdrive:

Auto-X:
1. MINIberger (per FB)
2. theging

Spectators:
1. MINI-B
Last edited by Blainestang on Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Blainestang
Out of Control

Re: MINI Event/Meet at Sebring, Oct. 6-7 (NASA)

Postby eaglebeagle » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:35 am

in honor of sharing the NASA Acronym, how about "Curiosity"
-Harley
2012 Countryman S
2008 Cooper with the sunroof! -SOLD
eaglebeagle
What's Control??

Postby JBKone » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:17 pm

:clap:
eaglebeagle wrote:in honor of sharing the NASA Acronym, how about "Curiosity"
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby James » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:56 pm

SSMPP.

(Sunshine MINIs Passing Porsches)
James
Administrator Emeritus

Postby BillTheCat » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:35 am

Do we know the costs for the various events yet?

Name: Romp in the Swamp
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby Blainestang » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:10 pm

BillTheCat wrote:Do we know the costs for the various events yet?

Name: Romp in the Swamp

I'm enjoying the clever name ideas! James, we better make sure at least one of us actually passes a Porsche if that's the name :D

Bill, here's the link to the NASA registration/info Page:

https://nasaproracing.com/event/1502

Also, for anyone considering the full track day (HPDE), there are a limited number of $75 discount codes for new members if you email the director, Jon Felton, whose info is on that page.

I will add this info the original post, too.
Blainestang
Out of Control

Postby getfast » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:01 pm

Hi all, Jon Felton from NASA Florida here, looking forward to having you come out and play! :motoring: Please don't hesitate to let me know what you need in terms of space and resources. Also please email me anytime if you have questions, jfelton(at)drivenasa(dot)com is the best way to reach me.

Also the event info/details page is http://www.drivenasafl.com/sebring or http://www.drivenasafl.com/schedule/sebring ... that is where you can find more than just the pre-registration stuff. As the event gets closer it will have links to the schedule, entry list, further details email, etc.

Thanks and see you at Sebring!
getfast
Rookie

Postby getfast » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:55 pm

Direct links to pre-reg pages for that weekend specifically...

Track stuff (Hyperdrive, HPDE, time trial, roadracing): https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1502

Autocross stuff (Evolution phase 1 school Saturday, autocross Sunday): https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1507
getfast
Rookie

Postby getfast » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:01 pm

Blainestang wrote:Also, for anyone considering the full track day (HPDE), there are a limited number of $75 discount codes for new members if you email the director, Jon Felton, whose info is on that page.

True story, I have a few coupon codes left. $75 off membership & full weekend HPDE registration when purchased simultaneously. MINI folks are welcome to 'em!

I love the MINIs, always wanted one but always needed something bigger for hauling people and gear around. I helped put on the ride & drive autocrosses at all four rounds of MINI Takes the States 2008 (Homestead, Road America, Boston, LA) and have been in a few on track, mostly at VIR. They are very capable track & autocross cars even in stock form. So please c'mon out and play with 'em! :motoring:
getfast
Rookie

Postby beaner » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:52 pm

Jon: you know that i will be there in my almost stock MINI. :twisted:

we have had as many as 15 MINIs at previous track days at various levels. it would be fun to do it again. the P-car guys will try to pick up the women in the group and complain that we are having more fun.

see ya there....

beaner
i'm out of room before i'm out of gears.
beaner
What's Control??

Postby Blainestang » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:30 am

beaner wrote:Jon: you know that i will be there in my almost stock MINI. :twisted:

we have had as many as 15 MINIs at previous track days at various levels. it would be fun to do it again. the P-car guys will try to pick up the women in the group and complain that we are having more fun.

see ya there....

beaner

Glad you're coming, Greg! I posted on your FB wall... er, timeline... but I figured you don't check that all the time.

I'm signed up for HDPE this time, but obviously won't be out there at the same time as you. :mrgreen:

It would be awesome to get a bunch of MINIs out at the same time! You'll have to convince some of the Miami-area guys.
2009 MINI Cooper : OB/W, Sport Package (DTC, Sport Seats [L], 16" Bridge Spokes [W], Front Fogs, White Bonnet Stripes, Rear Spoiler), Anthracite Headliner, MFSW - VERY Unofficial First Cooper w/ DTC
Blainestang
Out of Control

Postby theging » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:23 am

ill be at autox, i hope. I am planning on it.
2008 MINI Cooper S - Name: Carma
theging
Still has full Control

Postby Blainestang » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:35 am

theging wrote:ill be at autox, i hope. I am planning on it.

Great! The last event was a blast, despite the water-damaged iPhone and Tropical-storm Debbie!
2009 MINI Cooper : OB/W, Sport Package (DTC, Sport Seats [L], 16" Bridge Spokes [W], Front Fogs, White Bonnet Stripes, Rear Spoiler), Anthracite Headliner, MFSW - VERY Unofficial First Cooper w/ DTC
Blainestang
Out of Control

Postby Mini-B » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:49 pm

I'll be a spectator. ;)b
Mini-B
Starting to lose Control

Postby Blainestang » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:20 pm

Mini-B wrote:I'll be a spectator. ;)b

Great! I'll add you to the list. After watching this event, you may want to do more than spectate next time :D
Blainestang
Out of Control

Postby TReed » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:42 pm

I LOVE Sebring!!! Doubt I can afford this, though. I think I was a NASA member previous when we did the Phil Wicks event there in 2006. I also did a HPDE at Sebring with PBOC, in 2007 I think.
TReed
SSM Carbon Fiber Princess

Postby Blainestang » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:13 am

TReed wrote:I LOVE Sebring!!! Doubt I can afford this, though. I think I was a NASA member previous when we did the Phil Wicks event there in 2006. I also did a HPDE at Sebring with PBOC, in 2007 I think.

It's definitely a blast! I would have fun even if I was the only car out there, but it's icing on the cake when you surprise some of the "faster cars" with a 'cute' little MINI :mrgreen:

Might as well PM Jon and ask if you qualify for the new Member discount. And if not, the Hyperdrive is $75 and the Auto-X is $30, so there's all kinds of different options! I did the Auto-X last time rather than the HPDE and had a blast.
Blainestang
Out of Control

Postby getfast » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:32 pm

No PM's please, I can't guarantee that I'll see 'em, just email... jfelton at drivenasa dot com ... thanks!

Jon
getfast
Rookie

Postby maitland » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:03 pm

I'll probably drive our Mini down there if I don't tow the S2000 down. Kinda up in the air right now.
Ian
2009 NASA TTC National Champion
03 Cooper S > RMW Topmount Rotrex Supercharger Kit 350whp, Vipec ECU, RMW Crankshaft, Group 4 Aero, OSGiken LSD Clutch/Flywheel, RWM Header/RACE cam/Cylinder Head, AST coilovers.
http://www.maitlandimports.com
maitland
Out of Control

Postby Blainestang » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:27 am

maitland wrote:I'll probably drive our Mini down there if I don't tow the S2000 down. Kinda up in the air right now.

Seems like the MINI is running well... hope to see it there!
Blainestang
Out of Control

Next

Return to Track Days