NASA - Sebring - March 31-April 1, 2012

Join other MINI owners on the track in a non-competitive environment for High Performance Drivers Ed (HPDE)

Moderator: MINIBee

Re: NASA - Sebring - March 31-April 1, 2012

Postby beaner » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:30 pm

Ian: the easiest way to make your MINI slower than mine would be to switch drivers! see ya soon.
i'm out of room before i'm out of gears.
beaner
What's Control??

Postby mct » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:05 pm

Well? How was it?
mct
SSM Track Junkie

Postby Minibeast » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:38 pm

HOT! lol
Greg's Mini was running pretty damm good even if he didn't feel up to speed which scares the heck outta me! He was moving darn quick. Though I do know how to disable his car if it's for points! hahahahaha! (Better buy them switches Greg!) :twisted:
Mark
A Bloody Station Wagon and an '89 BMW 325 with M3 Motor.
Minibeast
Let's face it, you've lost it

Postby maitland » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:28 pm

Was a blast. TTC record got lowered to a 2:27.6 by a S2000 with lots of Torque. I did a 2:29.6 in a neighbors S2000 was I was super excited about because I didn't think that car would go sub 2:30 in a million years.

Got to meet beaner finally and see his new toy. Looks good. Looks like a lot of work.
Ian
2009 NASA TTC National Champion
03 Cooper S > RMW Topmount Rotrex Supercharger Kit 350whp, Vipec ECU, RMW Crankshaft, Group 4 Aero, OSGiken LSD Clutch/Flywheel, RWM Header/RACE cam/Cylinder Head, AST coilovers.
http://www.maitlandimports.com
maitland
Out of Control

Postby beaner » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:32 am

i had a great time. nice to finally meet you, Ian. Always good to see you Mark. Where was James? he started this thread and didn't show up.

i haven't been on a track in over 3 1/2 years. i've never driven this car. the car had a few issues that will easily be resolved by the next outing at Homestead in May. i melted the shift cables and it was very difficult to shift. i'll replace them and insulate them. i didn't come close to braking at the car's potential. trying not to flat spot a new set of tires while trying to find the limit. i didn't drive with much precision. this was expected with the layoff and new car. once more comfortable with the car, i know that there is a lot more in both me and the car. Ian, i'll never catch you. Mark better be worried though.

Overall, i would say it was a successful first outing. me, the car, the trailer and the truck all made it back in good shape.

beaner
beaner
What's Control??

Postby mct » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:50 pm

thanks for the updates! Wish I was there!
Pedro
2016 MINI Cooper S with JCW Tuning Kit - Clark
mct
SSM Track Junkie

Postby maitland » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:05 pm

beaner wrote:i had a great time. nice to finally meet you, Ian. Always good to see you Mark. Where was James? he started this thread and didn't show up.

i haven't been on a track in over 3 1/2 years. i've never driven this car. the car had a few issues that will easily be resolved by the next outing at Homestead in May. i melted the shift cables and it was very difficult to shift. i'll replace them and insulate them. i didn't come close to braking at the car's potential. trying not to flat spot a new set of tires while trying to find the limit. i didn't drive with much precision. this was expected with the layoff and new car. once more comfortable with the car, i know that there is a lot more in both me and the car. Ian, i'll never catch you. Mark better be worried though.

Overall, i would say it was a successful first outing. me, the car, the trailer and the truck all made it back in good shape.

beaner

Did you ever run the codes and see what caused the limp mode on Saturday in the rain? I also heard it wouldn't start in grid on Sunday, what happened?
Ian
03 Cooper S > RMW Topmount Rotrex Supercharger Kit 350whp, Vipec ECU, RMW Crankshaft, Group 4 Aero, OSGiken LSD Clutch/Flywheel, RWM Header/RACE cam/Cylinder Head, AST coilovers.
maitland
Out of Control

Postby mct » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:12 pm

beaner and limp mode go hand in hand at Sebring ;)

:whistle: ](*,) :lol: #-o
Pedro
2016 MINI Cooper S with JCW Tuning Kit - Clark
mct
SSM Track Junkie

Postby James » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:37 pm

beaner wrote:i had a great time. nice to finally meet you, Ian. Always good to see you Mark. Where was James? he started this thread and didn't show up.

i changed my plans at the last minute. There wasn't any interest among other novices and my girlfriend wasn't able to use my MINI for a Hyperdrive of her own. Maybe another weekend.
James
Administrator Emeritus

Postby maitland » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:23 pm

Almost be glad you didn't. I was out in the hyperdrive session instructing a C6 Z06... I'm fairly certain we went faster on Pit road then we did on track that session. It was a joke. In fact HPDE 1 and 2 was a joke entirely. Lining up behind the pace car bottled everyone up and then none of the novices used their mirrors and let people by. It was 15 mins into a 20 min session before we got enough clear road to even break 80 mph. He did let me take it out in a rain session. Thing did 140 down the back straight in the rain like it was nothing.
Ian
maitland
Out of Control

Postby beaner » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:13 am

[quote="maitland]

Did you ever run the codes and see what caused the limp mode on Saturday in the rain? I also heard it wouldn't start in grid on Sunday, what happened?[/quote]

i didn't run the codes from the rain session. it fired up immediately with no issues. Previous owner had a shield to prevent water from getting in. i have it, just didn't use it. it wasn't raining when i went to the grid. ECU toggle switch failed in the last session. i jumped the switch and it fired up instantly.

learning curves. the car will be better as will the driver.

greg
beaner
What's Control??

Postby beaner » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:16 am

mct wrote:beaner and limp mode go hand in hand at Sebring ;)

if one plays with one's toys correctly, they will fail occaisionally. ](*,)
beaner
What's Control??

Postby mct » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:18 am

beaner wrote:

Nothing some duct tape can't fix eh Greg? LOL
mct
SSM Track Junkie

Postby speedy1 » Tue May 15, 2012 11:56 pm

mct wrote:
beaner wrote:

Nothing some duct tape can't fix eh Greg? LOL

From what I understand....lanyards and zip ties work for some things :cringe:
2013 MINI JCW GP#0317 (Finnegan)
2013 MINI JCW GP #0028 (Hellbender)
2006 MINI JCW GP#0317 (Super Stella)
2006 MINI JCW GP#0713 (Snap)
2006 Dark Silver Convertible (Stella) Adopted[/b]
speedy1
Tag Queen

Postby mct » Wed May 16, 2012 12:42 pm

Very true!
mct
SSM Track Junkie

Postby getfast » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:52 pm

maitland wrote:Almost be glad you didn't. I was out in the hyperdrive session instructing a C6 Z06... I'm fairly certain we went faster on Pit road then we did on track that session. It was a joke. In fact HPDE 1 and 2 was a joke entirely. Lining up behind the pace car bottled everyone up and then none of the novices used their mirrors and let people by. It was 15 mins into a 20 min session before we got enough clear road to even break 80 mph.

Neither Hyperdrive nor the HPDE1/2 first session of the day are meant to be the high speed free-for-all you're apparently expecting. They are specifically meant to be a warmup for the HPDE'ers and a taste of track driving for the Hyperdrivers. In some other regions, both are done under full course yellow the whole time :wink:

Anyway we're gearing up for Oct 6-7 @ Sebring, registration is now open for all of it including Hyperdrive and HPDE and an Evo school on Saturday/autocross on Sunday. Details/pre-reg @ http://www.drivenasafl.com/sebring

Thanks and see ya there,

Jon Felton
Director, NASA Florida
getfast
Rookie

Previous

Return to Track Days