June Photo Contest

Got photos or video of you or your Mini or MINI? Post it! Monthly Photo Contest here.

Moderators: MINIBee, 2phun

June Photo Contest

Postby JBKone » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:27 pm

2phun asked me to inaugurate the June Photo Contest, so here it is.

It's time for the June 2012 installment of the Sunshine MINIs Photo Contest! HUGE PROPS to Aaron Cornaby at http://www.outmotoring.com for sponsoring this event and supplying us with gift certificates for each month's winner. Be sure to check out his website to make your shopping list of things you'll buy once you win!

This contest is designed to get you and your MINI/Mini out there exploring the ins and outs of our great state. So what's new about it? This isn't just a photo contest, it's a photo scavenger hunt! Keep that camera handy, as you never know when you'll find something that matches this month's categories!

Each month I'll post up 5 different topics. Your job is to take photos that include a MINI/Mini and correlate to the different topics.

Here are this month's items:
1. Mechanic
2. Boot
3. Entrance
4. Light
5. Water

PART 1) Creative Interpretation: You'll receive a point for each of the topics you successfully photograph with a MINI/Mini. For this part of the contest, you'll be able to use your out-of-the-box thinking to successfully complete the tasks. As long as your photo includes a real MINI and the item from the list, you get the credit. You can earn up to 5 points for completing all aspects of this part of the contest. Snapshots are fine for this section, but you may miss out on bonus points in part 2!

PART 2) Artistic Merit: At the end of the month, we'll be voting on the photographs in each theme for additional bonus points. Unlike our previous contests, I'm asking everyone to truly appraise each photograph and vote based on its artistic merit rather than its cleverness. Photographs ... not snapshots. Photos that actually took some forethought to pull off. I'd love to look into printing a SunshineMINIs.org calendar at the end of the year if we get enough quality shots. Elements that likely will be exhibited: composition, lines, depth, movement, lighting, emotion, perspective, etc. The artist who receives the most votes in a theme will receive an additional point added to his/her score, for a possible 5 point bonus.

The Rules:
1. One entry per category per member per contest period.
2. Each photo must contain a real, honest-to-goodness MINI/Mini (not a toy).
3. Each photo must contain an obvious correlation to the selected category.
4. Separate photos must be submitted for each category, even if one photo contains multiple correlations. Variations on the same photo also will not count, unless drastically different from the original.
5. Photos must be shot between the 1st of the month and the end of each month of the assignment.
6. All photos must be your original work.
7. You retain all copyrights to your photos. Any publishing of your photos on the website will give credit where credit is due.
8. You will need to host your photos on flickr, photobucket, or some other online photo storage service. Submit your photos to this thread. Also, make sure your album is set to allow direct linking.
9. Your first submission to each theme will be your only allowed submission, so make sure you know it's the one you want before you submit it.
10. DEADLINE for all entries is 11:59 P.M. on the LAST DAY OF EACH MONTH.

Scoring and Voting:
1. I MAY post leaderboard updates as the month progresses, but don't count on it.
2. Once the deadline has expired, I will post the current pre-voting standings of each photographer.
3. A separate poll will be posted in the Photography Forum for each of the categories of that month. Photographs will be posted in random order (probably whatever order they are in my inbox).
4. You may vote once in each of the polls to pick the photographs that you feel have the most artistic merit.
5. Polls will be open for five days, at which time the polls will expire. Within a couple days you can expect the poll results will be announced, bonus points awarded, and the final winner revealed!

Remember, this is a PHOTOGRAPHY contest, not a photo editing contest (maybe someone else will start a contest for that). With that in mind, you may exercise reasonable options that are available to the traditional film photographer which improves the aesthetics, but does not alter the integrity of the original scene. You know....MINImal adjustments. ;)

Acceptable adjustments:

1. Cropping (when in doubt crop it out if it improves the aesthetic qualities)
2. Contrast and brightness adjustments within reasonable limitations (these are available to the traditional darkroom printers)
3. Color balance within reasonable limitations (also available to darkroom printers)
4. Selective Dodge and Burn adjustments (also available to darkroom printers)
5. Dust and scratch retouching (also available to darkroom printers)

NOT PERMITTED categories would include: special filters that alter the integrity of the original scene.
Examples: solarization, cut and paste, distortions, artistic renderings and modifications that depart from the original scene. You know... the flying pigs, swirls, starbursts, and rainbow category.

Okay, enough of all that. Time's a wastin'! Git out there and start shooting!
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Re: June Photo Contest

Postby TReed » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:21 pm

Yay! Thanks Bradford! :cheering:
TReed
SSM Carbon Fiber Princess

Postby Becky & Luis » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:17 pm

Mechanic:
Becky & Luis
Barely in Control

Postby Becky & Luis » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:19 pm

Light:
Becky & Luis
Barely in Control

Postby Becky & Luis » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:20 pm

entrance:
Becky & Luis
Barely in Control

Postby JBKone » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:46 pm

Great pics! You may be the winner! :wink:
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby James » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:52 am

Becky & Luis wrote:Mechanic:

Where's the mechanic?
James
Administrator Emeritus

Postby francesrowena » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:54 pm

Becky & Luis wrote:Mechanic:

Oooh I like this one..

Sent from Tapatalk 2
Frances
qirlie @ instagram
francesrowena
Losing Control

Postby Lori » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:19 am

Becky, I love your light photo - that's awesome!!! How did you get the light to burst like that?
Lori
Starting to lose Control

Postby Lori » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:25 am

Here are my submissions for June. These categories were TOUGH!

Mechanic:

Boot:

Entrance:

Light (Done with a very slow shutter speed, and a sparkler):

Water:
Lori
Starting to lose Control

Postby Becky & Luis » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:17 pm

James wrote:Where's the mechanic?

He went to go find a screw, because his was loose.
Becky & Luis
Barely in Control

Postby Becky & Luis » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:23 pm

Lori wrote:Becky, I love your light photo - that's awesome!!! How did you get the light to burst like that?

Thanks, but your light pic totally ROCKS!! :bow: We took the picture with Luis' IPhone in the rain, so i think the water on the lense played a part in it. Excellent twist on the boot, BTW and you have the cutest mechanic ever!
Becky & Luis
Barely in Control

Postby JBKone » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:42 pm

great pics guys!
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby Sarag » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:49 am

WOW! Great photos everyone!! Becky, your light photo is wonderful, I can hardly believe it was taken with an iPhone! And Lori, the mechanic photo makes me smile! I love how he's wearing a MINI shirt as well.

I might submit some last minute photos tomorrow, but this is what I have so far.

Mechanic:

Boot:

Entrance:
Sarag
Starting to lose Control

Postby Lori » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:27 pm

Nice pics, Sarag! And thank you for the compliment! My mechanic is wearing a MINI hat too but the logo is flipped around to the back (oops).
Lori
Starting to lose Control

Postby A Belknap » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:29 am

DAAAAAAAAANNNNGGG! :shock: ALL these pictures are AWESOMEEEEEEEE BRA~! It's going to be REALLY hard to vote...
HIS:Princess Viktoria
~2012 Copper S~

HERS: King Gustav
~2014 Countryman S~
A Belknap
Starting to lose Control

Postby JBKone » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:37 pm

Man! Here it is about the end of July and nobody's brought up a voting thread!
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby Lori » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:03 pm

September now. :whistle:
Lori
Starting to lose Control

Postby James » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:24 pm

Since people took time to take and submit photos, couldn't we at least have a vote on them before shutting down the contest?
James
Administrator Emeritus

Postby R&J Mini » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:52 pm

Wow amazing photos!
2012 MINI Coupe Chili Red Black Stripes/ 2013 MCS Clubman Midnight Black
R&J Mini
Losing Control

Return to Mini and MINI Photographs and Video