* Need help fixing up your photos to post here?

Got photos or video of you or your Mini or MINI? Post it! Monthly Photo Contest here.

Moderators: MINIBee, 2phun

* Need help fixing up your photos to post here?

Postby Minvader » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:26 pm

Here's a link to some absolutely FREE software that you can use for editing your photos. I haven't personally tried these programs, but if I do I will let you know what I think of them here.

http://www.faststone.org/index.htm

FastStone Image Viewer 2.6 Freeware (Last Update: 2006-07-19)
An image browser, converter and editor that supports all major graphic formats including BMP, JPEG, JPEG 2000, GIF, PNG, PCX, TIFF, WMF, ICO and TGA. It has a nice array of features such as image viewing, management, comparison, red-eye removal, emailing, resizing, cropping, color adjustments, musical slideshow and much more.

FastStone Capture 4.4 Freeware (Last Update: 2006-09-26)
A powerful, flexible and intuitive screen-capture utility. It allows you to capture anything on the screen including windows, objects, full screen, rectangle / freehand-selected regions and scrolling windows/web pages.
The built-in Screen Magnifier is fun to use.

FastStone MaxView 1.7 Freeware (Last Update: 2006-06-05)
A tiny, very fast and innovative image viewer that supports all major graphic formats. Its intuitive layout and commands allow everyone, from beginners to professionals, to view and manipulate images quickly and efficiently.

FastStone Photo Resizer 2.2 Freeware (Last Update: 2006-03-22)
An image converter/resizer intended to enable users especially digital camera owners to convert, rename, resize, crop, rotate, change color depth, add text and watermark to images in a quick and easy BATCH mode. Drag & Drop is well supported.

:arrow: No Adware No Spyware
Free for Home Users

You don't need a big-budget program like Photoshop to optimize your photos... another great option is Irfanview... and it's also FREE! :D
-Tom
Minvader
Postmaster General

Postby James » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:34 pm

I also recommend downloading the free Picasa from Google:

James
Administrator Emeritus

Postby James » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:37 pm

Pedro listed a Windows utility which I use frequently:

mct wrote:There is a Windows Power Tool that allows you to highlight all your images in Windows Explorer and right click and re-size them on the fly with one click.

It is called PowerToys and info can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

The specific tool is called Image Resizer.

PS: It is FREE!!
James
Administrator Emeritus

Postby yankfan22891 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:36 am

does anyone know a good resizing program for mac?....i have photoshop elements at home but it just takes to long....
yankfan22891
Losing Control

Postby Minvader » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:24 am

It can only take a computer so long to re-size a picture, a fraction of a second most of the time... it's what you do to get it there that might take longer. So what exactly is it that you need to be able to do that is taking you so long? I'm an anti-Mac guy (a graphics guy too) and it's hard to believe a Mac could take so long. I thought those things were supposed to scream through digital imaging applications. :wink:

No photo is going to look it's best without a little bit of work done on it first, so if you are really concerned about how your photos look, get used to it taking a long time. My photo posting has slowed down a lot because I spend a couple minutes on each one that I post, and I take thousands. If you want to simply re-size a whole bunch of photos all at once, without any special processing done, look into "Batch Processing" in the PS Elements Help files, or tutorials on the web. That should get you speeding through big batches of photos faster than you thought possible.
-Tom
Minvader
Postmaster General

Postby BillTheCat » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:04 am

Yankfan... I also use Elements, and I batch resize them. No time flat. Mind you, I don't use a Mac, but I can't imagine that a function as basic as batch resizing is missing from the Mac version.

Open your photos in album view, so you can see dozens/hundreds of thumbnails. Highlight all of the photos you want to resize. Now, the next part may vary on Mac, but in Windows, I go to File->Export. The export window lets you set the image file type, image quality, and image size for all photos. I usually export them to a subfolder. (For instance, if I store my Mini Takes the STates photos in C:/Images/MTTS, I might store the resized, edited photos in C:/Images/MTTS/Edits so I know just by looking at the file tree that those are edited copies of the originals in the folder above them. (I like to keep the full size, high quality original in case decide to go back & play with them in Elements again later)

Once you commit to the export, it's a matter of seconds for all of the images to be resized & saved.
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby MINI_Marc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:19 pm

I have also heard that the GIMP is as close to a full version of Photoshop as you can get for FREE. I've tried it, and for free, it's not bad at all. I like Photoshop better though because the work area is a little more organized.

But hey, beggars can't be choosers right? :lol:

~MM
15% Alta Pulley | Minspeed CAI | "One Ball" Exhaust | TSW V2 Engine Damper | 2 Kicker Comp 10 Subs and 250Watt JL Audio Amp | JL Audio Front/Rear Speakers | JVC Head Unit | JCW Rear Wing | Ociari Cowl Scoops | Blue/White LED Interior Lighting | JCW GP Intercooler
MINI_Marc
Leader of the posse

Postby BillTheCat » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:23 am

FREE is worth some compromise for most of us amateurs.
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby Aluvendale » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:05 pm

For small and quick online editing, you can also use Picnik.

http://www.picnik.com/

Simple fixes, free.
"Sterling" MCS Clubman DS/S, Automatic, Xenons; Premium, Sport, Convenience, & Winter Pkgs
Aluvendale
Let's face it, you've lost it

Return to Mini and MINI Photographs and Video