[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4342: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4344: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4345: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4346: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Sunshine MINIs • View topic - HONEYMOON layover.....

HONEYMOON layover.....

Let's talk to our Mini and MINI friends across the Pond and around the world!

Moderator: James

Postby Alpha-6 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:47 am

Thoughts please:

Ok, so i was talking to one of the parent volunteers at the school that I teach and she happens to be born and raised in London and she says that the Way to go is the Gatwick Express, to Victoria Station/Tube, etc. To see Big Ben, Parliament, and The Eye.....

However she did say that she recommends skipping London entirely and taking the train the opposite direction into Brighton. She says it's a coastal community where we can stroll along the cobblestone roads see a few celebrity homes, and visit the quaint Antique shops....she says it's a bit more relaxed then London. I have never been to England and really would like to see the sites. From THOSE two options which do I go with??!?! She really did paint a gorgeous picture of Brighton BUT I will only be in England 8 hours, so should I at least see what most go to see??!? I'm confused :?....excited but confused as what to do.....thoughts please. :D
Alpha-6
Postmaster General

Postby BillTheCat » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:04 am

Depends on what YOU want to do, man. If you want to see the famous sights in person, head to London. Plenty of photo opps & such.

Brighton is a beautiful coastal community- very quaint, much more laid back. Pretty, but your photos will be just another countryside, quaint street/shop, etc.

Me, I'd do a whirlwind tour of London. Brighton is the kind of place where you want to spend at least a weekend at a B&B and enjoy the slower pace. Which you don't have time to do.
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby mk1coopers » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:19 am

I'm with BillTheCat on this one, London will pack more in in the short time you have with us, sounds like you need to come back next year for Mini 50 and spend some time seeing the sights / attending some Mini shows :D

Here's some more info on Brighton for you to help you make up your mind

http://www.brighton.world-guides.com/
mk1coopers
Starting to lose Control

Postby Alpha-6 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:47 am

Alpha-6
Postmaster General

Postby mackem » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:06 pm

I agree with Minvader that time is going to be really tight. And I agree with Bill (but a bit more emphatically), Brighton will be a total waste of your time.

Remember that to leave the international terminal, you are going to have to go thru customs going out and back in. Customs at Gatwick can easily take 45 minutes. Then quite a walk from the international terminal to the rail line. Sunday mornings is when they do routine maintenance on the suburban rail lines. You may be subjected to delays. You are not going to be able to assume that the train to Victoria is going to take 30 minutes on a Sunday morning.

And, to be honest, central London is dead on a Sunday morning. Not much open.

The Eye is definitely cool. If you are tight on time (and you don't know your way around the tube), you can take a cab to the Eye from Victoria for less than $20).

There are enough touristy things around Victoria that you can do them either walking or jump in a cab. For these short rides, a cab is not going to be much more than the tube.
Here is a route that includes Buckingham Palace, the Mall (It's a park, not shopping), Marble Arch, Trafalgar Square, Houses of Parliament and the London Eye. Southbank is going to be close by but I don't think much is going to be open on Southbank on a Sunday morning.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&saddr ... ham+Palace)+to:trafalgar+square+to:Parliament+Square,+London,+SW1A+0+(Houses+of+Parliament+and+Big+Ben)+to:Westminster+Bridge+Road,+London,+SE1+(London+eye)&hl=en&geocode=FbTDEQMdis39_w%3BFSbFEQMdssj9_w%3BFTPZEQMdv9X9_yGH3Twxb-Jb5g%3B%3BFU_WEQMd_Q3-_yFyu3hpISKSqg%3BCamPauB89oTMFa7eEQMdQC7-_yGe8dnYe8Y_HQ&mra=pe&mrcr=3&via=1&dirflg=w&sll=51.501044,-0.129747&sspn=0.026715,0.054932&ie=UTF8&ll=51.501815,-0.131435&spn=0.026714,0.054932&z=14

Looks like the link didn't work too well. You may have to paste all that into your browser. Have fun. Just don't run out of time
mackem
Losing Control

Previous

Return to International Forum