New car for the Boss Lady.

Discuss automotive issues that aren't really MINI related.

Moderator: BillTheCat

New car for the Boss Lady.

Postby doomsdaybob » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:53 pm

Sorry folks, no new MINI. The wife is dead set against any BMW products given the numerous trips to the shop my '03 MSC has racked up while I am usually working overseas.

We went around quite a bit and we ended up with a 2013 Volvo C30 R-Design. It moves pretty well. If it wasn't the last year for them I'd consider one for myself.

'13 Volvo C30 R-Design, DS, Premium Plus, AT. Boss Ladies new car but she lets me drive it some.
'03 MCS, DS/B, Prem, Sport, Alta CAI, Many parking lot dings but still shiny.
doomsdaybob
What's Control??

Re: New car for the Boss Lady.

Postby BillTheCat » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:50 pm

From that angle, it kinda looks like a 2-door version of my '09 Mazdaspeed3. But I have seen them on the road, and the similarity doesn't apply from all angles.

It IS a pretty decent looking vehicle, especially considering that it's a Volvo. Volvo HAS been making efforts to bring some sense of style into their designs in the last decade or so.

How has their reliability been of late? I never heard of anyone citing that as a reason to buy a Volvo. It's always safety.
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby doomsdaybob » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:19 am

Bill,
Did some research before we got it and most of the complaints against Volvo lately involve wind noise on the S60's. The C30 has the same 2.5 5cyl Turbo that comes standard in most of the lines. Parts and labor seem pretty reasonable. Since this will be the last of the C30's and they have been around for awhile now should have all the bugs worked out so far. We test drove the GTI and the A3 too. Just too many GTIs around right now and was actually more expensive to insure. A3 is being updated to new model already on streets overseas so can't order one til later in the year. A3 was very much more "busy" inside and in my opinion offered way less tech for the money. Audi still charging extra for Bluetooth even. And we couldn't discount the safety thing. This car is built like a tank. Next to my old Ram and the Mini these doors feel and close like solid doors, not at all flimsy. Turbo lag is barely noticable, very pronounced in the Audi. Road noise is pretty good considering the 18" rims and factory lowered suspension.

I'd have liked to look at a new Mini but my '03 has had some issues that the wife doesn't think a reasonably put together car should have. Clutch replaced last week of warranty, 3rd set of window motors/regulators, control arm bushings fell apart, oil pan leaks, most gaskets or seals replaced along the way, AC blower motor dying, radio/AC controls occationally just dissappear until car restarted, etc. Unfortunately most of this has happened while I was working overseas, so while I know I could have fixed a lot of it she did not want to mess with it. The dealer wants over 1.5K to fix the oil pan and AC blower and now I'm looking at a new headliner. Granted the car is 10years old now but only has 86K miles on it. If my lottery ship ever comes in I'm think I'm going back to another Ram truck but until the winning ticket I don't want those fuel bills. :-D
'13 Volvo C30 R-Design, DS, Premium Plus, AT. Boss Ladies new car but she lets me drive it some.
'03 MCS, DS/B, Prem, Sport, Alta CAI, Many parking lot dings but still shiny.
doomsdaybob
What's Control??

Postby JDAWG » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:49 pm

I had a chance to put one of these through its paces at a driving event for MINI a couple of years ago. Really nice car. The only complaint I had was brake fade under hard driving, but since I doubt your wife will be attending any track days, you should be o.k. hahaha. Congrats on the new addition..love the tail end on this car..really cool looking!
JDAWG
Barely in Control

Return to Other Automotive Chat