Personalized plate question

Discuss automotive issues that aren't really MINI related.

Moderator: BillTheCat

Postby mct » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:02 am

So we pre-traded our "mini" van a few weeks ago to lock in the trade amount while we wait for our new Countryman to be delivered next month. I had just renewed the tag in June so we should be able to transfer tags with no issue. My question is this:

Do I have to wait until the tag is transferred to the new car before ordering a personalized tag for the car?

Since we have a month left before delivery, I was going to see about starting the process now so it is ready to go when the car comes in.

Anyone here ever try this?
Pedro
2016 MINI Cooper S with JCW Tuning Kit - Clark
mct
SSM Track Junkie

Re: Personalized plate question

Postby TReed » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:04 am

You shouldn't have a problem at all. You might want to call the tag office anyway, just to let them know that the tag is not in use right now, but will be as soon as your car comes in. When I recently renewed my tag online, I noticed that I still have a previous tag from many years ago that is listed under my name, but is not active (it expired in 2006). It's my understanding that if I buy another car I can just activate that tag at any time and save the $225 initial tag fee. You can look yours up online here https://services.flhsmv.gov/virtualoffice/
TReed
SSM Carbon Fiber Princess

Postby mct » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:13 am

Thanks Tracey!!
Pedro
mct
SSM Track Junkie

Postby JDAWG » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:47 am

I am pretty sure you should be o.k to start the process as long as you have the VIN # for your new Countryman. Registration is tied to VIN, not to plate number. I am not 100% sure you can register a vehicle without proof of ownership (bill of sale or title) so you may want to check into that.

IF they let you register without proof of ownership, you will proably have to pay for a new personalized registration but you can take the plate off your old car and turn it in for a credit once you get the Countryman. The dealer is required to complete some form of registration when selling a car by Fl. law, so just have them issue a temporary tag which will cost you $20 instead of paying for a transfer registration ($150) and then paying again for the personalized plate. This should save you some $ in the long run.

Hope this helps.
JDAWG
Barely in Control

Postby mct » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:27 pm

Went to the tax collector office and they said I couldn't do anything until I owned the car and could provide bill of sale, etc. Well the goes a month of wasted time lol
Pedro
mct
SSM Track Junkie

Postby JDAWG » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:34 pm

kind of what I thought..oh well, now we all know, right?
JDAWG
Barely in Control

Return to Other Automotive Chat