[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4342: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4344: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4345: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4346: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Sunshine MINIs • View topic - The hunt for our next "family" car

The hunt for our next "family" car

Discuss automotive issues that aren't really MINI related.

Moderator: BillTheCat

Re: The hunt for our next "family" car

Postby 2phun » Wed May 02, 2012 1:05 pm

I've heard good things about the handling of the Murano and the Infiniti counterpart. It's one of those cars with a look you either love or hate. I personally think it's pretty sharp. Nickie...not so much. She says it looks confused. :roll:
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby James » Wed May 02, 2012 2:00 pm

Who's picking this damn car? :-D

What kind of options do you get with the Focus ST?
James
Administrator Emeritus

Postby 2phun » Wed May 02, 2012 5:10 pm

Nickie's words: "If you'll drive me around, then you can pick the car." And in order to be the supportive husband, I must oblige! :lol:
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby 2phun » Wed May 02, 2012 5:14 pm

2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby 2phun » Sat May 05, 2012 12:01 am

The order is in...Ford Focus ST in Performance Blue, ST3 package
Probably won't be until Aug or Sept before we get it, but we're not in a rush.

For anyone considering a Ford, definitely get in touch with Ian Riding (store manager) at Sunstate Ford. Former rally driver back in England and a real pleasure to work with. Such a change from the other dealerships (Don Reid, Clermont, Greenway) that had no clue what the car I wanted was until I told them about it ("No I don't want to look at the Focus that you have on your lot. The one I want just had the order banks open up today and won't be available for months. Yes, I'm sure. No, I said 'ST', not 'SE'. No, the Titanium model isn't what I'm talking about"), and some even then had the balls to quote a price at/above MSRP. I've spent a few hours chatting with Ian the past few days. He's upfront and no nonsense, and seems to realize he has more to gain by NOT trying to make a killing on this one transaction. So far in the process I can't say enough good things about the experience. Of course no money has changed hands yet, but I'm hoping the positives continue. More to come as we get further along...
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby James » Sat May 05, 2012 8:06 am

Looks like a good choice. What color roof did you get?
James
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Minvader » Mon May 07, 2012 12:46 am

-Tom
Minvader
Postmaster General

Postby JBKone » Mon May 07, 2012 8:35 am

Loving that blue!! :-D ;)b
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby Blainestang » Mon May 07, 2012 9:27 pm

Nice car, Steve!

I joined one of the ST forums and since I noticed you had posted in one of the threads I looked at, I put you as my referrer :-D

Anyway, on the way back from the Dragon, I was talking to my wife, and she definitely wants to test drive the ST before deciding on a family car. She isn't, thus far, in love with the Countryman, so we'll probably look at GTI, ST, etc.

As a Ford guy (currently own 3), the ST is a must test, IMO.
2009 MINI Cooper : OB/W, Sport Package (DTC, Sport Seats [L], 16" Bridge Spokes [W], Front Fogs, White Bonnet Stripes, Rear Spoiler), Anthracite Headliner, MFSW - VERY Unofficial First Cooper w/ DTC
Blainestang
Out of Control

Postby 2phun » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:39 pm

Speaking of test drives...the first test drive reviews are swarming in now...

2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby JCWRocket » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:32 am

"Rocket" 2009 Factory JCW Clubman
JCWRocket
What's Control??

Postby Blainestang » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:20 pm

Any updates on the ST, Steve?

For a few reasons, my wife and I pulled the trigger on a new GTI rather than wait for the Focus ST (wife wanted the DSG, preferred the more subdued look of the GTI, etc)... but I could very well see this or the upcoming Fiesta ST as our NEXT car when the MINI gets retired.

That will depend on a lot of things (5-door F56 Hardtop?, F56 Price, etc.), but if we NEED another 4-door (er, 5-door), I absolutely won't be replacing my R56 with a Countryman. No offense to people who like them, but as far as driving dynamics go, the CM is way behind the GTI, and even that doesn't have the 'sharpness' of my Justa R56. Hopefully, the ST siblings will be on the "sharper" side of the GTI than the CM is.

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to hearing your initial impressions and your long-term updates.
2009 MINI Cooper : OB/W, Sport Package (DTC, Sport Seats [L], 16" Bridge Spokes [W], Front Fogs, White Bonnet Stripes, Rear Spoiler), Anthracite Headliner, MFSW - VERY Unofficial First Cooper w/ DTC
Blainestang
Out of Control

Postby R&J Mini » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:59 am

Had a Focus a few years ago. Great car. But..........this is amazing. Good for Ford. About time an American manufacturer gets the small car segment going again.
2012 MINI Coupe Chili Red Black Stripes/ 2013 MCS Clubman Midnight Black
R&J Mini
Losing Control

Previous

Return to Other Automotive Chat