[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4342: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4344: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4345: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4346: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Sunshine MINIs • View topic - The hunt for our next "family" car

The hunt for our next "family" car

Discuss automotive issues that aren't really MINI related.

Moderator: BillTheCat

Re: Likely our next "family" car ... and it's domestic!

Postby James » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:52 pm

James
Administrator Emeritus

The hunt for our next "family" car continues.

Postby 2phun » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:18 am

The release date on the Focus ST keeps getting pushed back, and our G6 keeps trying to push the "next car" issue forward. We already had two months worth of car payments paid out in repairs this month (even with the extended warranty...sigh). Then last weekend, as we're heading out of the driveway for our camping trip, the AC decided to stop working. We may wind up with something different just because Ford keeps dragging its feet on releasing this vehicle.

Oh, and I just found out that the Focus, even in ST form, isn't rated for towing, which is a pretty big negative since my trailer build is already underway. I guess Ford feels if I want to tow something, I should buy an SUV.

We're heading out later this week to look at some wagons. Outback (and possibly WRX), A4 Avant (and possibly the A3), 328i Sports Wagon, Jetta Sportwagen (maybe the TDI), CTS Sport Wagon (I think it's the best looking Caddy out right now), Volvo V50 (used, since they stopped bringing them Stateside and only have crossovers/SUVs now...stupid Americans), Acura TSX. I've only confirmed towing capacity for a few of them, and while being rated for towing won't be a complete deal-breaker, it will probably play a part in our final decision. We want to be able to take our teardrop trailer, kayaks, and/or bikes with us and still have room for kids and dogs and necessary gear. The MINI is still our go-to car for a lot of our trips, but as the kids get bigger, we're running out of space for gear really fast. Plus it would be nice to bring the kayaks and the teardrop on the same trip...but need a roof to do that. Any thoughts or feedback on any of these models (or others that I've overlooked) that you guys can offer?
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Re: The hunt for our next "family" car

Postby mct » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:05 am

Steve I drove the A3 at Homestead and was VERY impressed. If I wasn't driving the MINI, the A3 would be on the top of my list. Great car with lots of room and amazing handling. I have a video of my A3 track adventure at motoringfun.com. Search for Audi and I am sure you will find it. TampaMCS also bought one and loves it. PM him for more info.
mct
SSM Track Junkie

Postby James » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:14 am

I second the Audi A3 choice. Let us know what you think of it.
James
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Blainestang » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:22 am

I'm a big fan of the Jetta Sportwagen TDI. I've test driven them, and my friend owns one. They, of course, get awesome gas mileage, and they're based on the previous Jetta before they cheapened the new one for America.

The A3 is a very nice car, but it's not available in the TDI with a manual (which you may not care about anyway), but it really is just a GTI with an Audi emblem on it. As much as I like the A3, I'd buy a 4-door GTI instead of a 2.0T A3... or a 4-door Golf TDI or the TDI Jetta Sportwagen instead of an A3 TDI. The rings aren't worth the extra $5k to me.

The 3-series Wagon is a great car, but when I priced one with basically just the ~$1750 M-Sport package, it was ~$40k. I couldn't bring myself to spend that much on a 328 family hauler. I'd rather have the Jetta Sportwagen, get way better gas mileage, and put the $15k I saved toward something else.

And yes, stupid Americans and their love for crappy cross-overs that are the worst of all worlds have severely limited the wagon market. No 335 wagons, 5-series wagons, Diesel A4 Avants, Volvo wagons, etc. Therefore, I commend Cadillac for producing the CTS-V wagon, and would kill for one, but they're just a little too pricey. In a couple years, though, maybe I'll pick up a low-mileage one for a more reasonable price. Practical family hauler and killer track-car? Perfect combo.
2009 MINI Cooper : OB/W, Sport Package (DTC, Sport Seats [L], 16" Bridge Spokes [W], Front Fogs, White Bonnet Stripes, Rear Spoiler), Anthracite Headliner, MFSW - VERY Unofficial First Cooper w/ DTC
Blainestang
Out of Control

Postby 2phun » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:36 am

We have a family friend who works the auctions, so for the more expensive ones (CVS, A4, 328i, and of course the V50 since it isn't available new) we'll likely be looking at picking up a lease trade-in or similar low-mileage used car. Most of those can be had for low-mid 20s for 2010-2011 models. Of course we could pick up a new Jetta or Outback in the same range. Since cost up front will be somewhat similar, now the question of longterm cost of ownership comes into play.
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby JBKone » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:41 am

Clubman? :mrgreen:
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby 2phun » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:42 pm

Not enough room for our needs. Even the Countryman is a bit smaller than what we're looking for, as much as I'd love to get a second MINI.
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby BillTheCat » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:55 pm

MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby 2phun » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:26 pm

There's enough room behind the seats of the Focus to have our dogs lying down without being on top of each other. There isn't enough room behind the seats of the Countryman for our dogs to lie down without being on top of each other. Hence, Countryman doesn't have enough room. Neither of them allow for dogs AND gear to be in the rear.

The Focus ST is a pure emotional purchase on my part, and definitely not a practical choice (even though I've been selling Nickie on its practicality compared to the Pontiac). This will be Nickie's car (which I was just reminded of) so she'd like me to focus more on the practical side of things. With the emotions out of it, the field of possible choices got a good bit wider, and some of my other choices are pushed to the side.
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby James » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:09 pm

Why doesn't she pick the car?
James
Administrator Emeritus

Postby 2phun » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:17 pm

For Nickie, cars are nothing more than something to get from point a to point b. She actually wants me to pick this one out...I think because she hopes if I have some ownership in the choosing, then I'll take more ownership in the washing, waxing, and general upkeep as well! I hated the Pontiac from day one, and I think it shows. I can count on my fingers the number of baths that car has gotten. The MINI got more than that in the first few months of ownership!

Plus, I'm an internet research addict. Nickie again couldn't care less. She lets me do all the looking around and then give her the abbreviated version.
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby 2phun » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:55 pm

2009-2010 Passat wagon? Any thoughts or feedback? Consumer Reports seems to mark 2009 as a banner year for Passat reliability for some reason.

Drove a 2009 Passat wagon, Jetta Sportwagen, Acura TSX Sport Wagon, and also checked out (no drive time) the Subarus (Imprezas and Outbacks...Nickie thumbed-down the Outback) and Volvos (V50 and XC70) . The Passat was the one that really stood out as matching what we like, but leaving out the extra bells and whistles we don't really care about. All of them seemed to be good cars, and the baseline Impreza was definitely economical, so at this stage I haven't really narrowed down the field much. Just got rid of the higher end ones, as Nickie doesn't want to spend that much on a vehicle. The Acura's actually pushing it a bit, but she's willing to check it out based on my raving reviews of my former Acuras. Saturday we're doing a grand tour of the dealerships so Nickie can get some seat time and give some feedback.
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby mct » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:06 pm

Are you staying away from SUVs like the Mazda CX7 or CX9? Our friends bought a CX7 and they love it. However, not sure they are into cars as much as we are. Personally I rode in it and thought it was nice. Would still get the A3 though ;). I did find the track video from my A3 test drive:

http://www.motoringfun.com/2008/09/23/a ... ence-2008/

The car rotated like an absolute dream. Even better around some turns than the MINI if you can believe that. A little gas, a little brake, release, then gas it up and you can make the backend come around and point you right where you need to go. It really took me off guard at how fun it was to drive since I was actually pretty ticked that the TT was already taken lol.
mct
SSM Track Junkie

Postby 2phun » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:03 pm

Heh, the guy in front of you had no idea what he meant by apex.
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby 2phun » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:42 pm

Hmm, rumors are that the order banks for the ST open tomorrow. Looks like we might be making that emotional purchase after all.
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby Blainestang » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:42 pm

2009 MINI Cooper : OB/W, Sport Package (DTC, Sport Seats [L], 16" Bridge Spokes [W], Front Fogs, White Bonnet Stripes, Rear Spoiler), Anthracite Headliner, MFSW - VERY Unofficial First Cooper w/ DTC
Blainestang
Out of Control

Postby Alpha-6 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:53 am

According to Jalopnik: "If you're one of the first 1,000 buyers you'll get a GoPro HD Hero2 Motorsports Edition camera pack to record all of your heroic exploits" and the configurator just went live.
Alpha-6
Postmaster General

Postby 2phun » Tue May 01, 2012 8:27 pm

Awe man, as typical, the internet knows more than the dealerships! I was just at Sunshine State Ford talking with the store manager for over an hour (even got to play in the Laguna Seca...beast!) and he knew nothing about the GoPro deal. Was going to have his folks put in the order tomorrow and I didn't see this until now (after closing). Probably be more than 1000 of these ordered by the time I get out of school tomorrow. A new camera would have been nice too.
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby ASKtheteach » Wed May 02, 2012 11:51 am

"Sapphire": Cosmic Blue/White 2012 Countryman, White Bonnet Stripes, Carbon Black Lounge Leather, Polar Beige Color Line, One Piece Center Rail, Premium, Cold Weather, PDC, Chrome Line Interior
ASKtheteach
Let's face it, you've lost it

PreviousNext

Return to Other Automotive Chat