Modified Bonnet

Classic Mini repair, modifications, and performance questions and answers.

Moderators: 2phun, MINIMAD

Modified Bonnet

Postby rahay » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:49 pm

I an rebuilding (not complete but close) a 1974 (M registration) Mini Clubman Estate. It is NOT an original restore. I am thinking about modifying the bonnet to be the entire front end for complete access to the engine compartment welding the new Nose, right fender, old hood and left fender into one and hingeing on the nose, opening forward. Does anyone know of a good closure for that arrangement? On my old bugeye we used posts but I did not like the way they looked....

Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Reg
rahay
Relative Newbie

Re: Modified Bonnet

Postby captbj » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:53 pm

rahay wrote:I an rebuilding (not complete but close) a 1974 (M registration) Mini Clubman Estate. It is NOT an original restore. I am thinking about modifying the bonnet to be the entire front end for complete access to the engine compartment welding the new Nose, right fender, old hood and left fender into one and hingeing on the nose, opening forward. Does anyone know of a good closure for that arrangement? On my old bugeye we used posts but I did not like the way they looked....

Thanks in advance.

What you want to do is exactly the flip what most folks do when they decide to replace the front clip with plastic/glass to make a flip front and searching on those terms might provide additional data (more sites than here)

Your all metal plan is one I've thought about. My 79 has all steel b4 the firewall and A panels/seams gone and replaced with a 2 piece glass unit. The bonnet is one unit and the fenders & grill the other. It does not hinge, but mounts to 2 hood points at the same place many would put hinges. You might want to investigate the extra support braces sold for glass flip applications.

This tear down took 3 minutes
BJ
Captain retired
02S new off the lot 08/02 & sold 06/09 @ 98k and change
07S 10/07 - sold 10/13
79 Austin Saloon, very modified, since 2004
new daily driver 2014 Focus ST(3)
15 R59 Roadster S - new off lot 6/16 - Mrs' car
captbj
What's Control??

Postby rahay » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:10 am

Yeah I want to keep it metal... Off to the search engine...

Cheers,
Reg
Cheers
Reg
rahay
Relative Newbie

Postby MiniTure » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:43 am

good luck on your rebuild project ;)b
MiniTure
Relative Newbie

Return to Classic Mini How-To and DIY