Acquiring a classic?

General classic Mini discussions.

Moderators: 2phun, MINIMAD

Postby Pritch » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:23 pm

James wrote:Hmm. :-k

Seven (or Se7en) was the name given to the early Austin Minis in 1959 which was soon dropped in 1962 when they were just called Austin Mini. None of the Rover-era Minis were called Seven that I know of. What did you want to know about the last of the classic Rover Minis? (Technically the last 4 years of the classic Minis can be considered BMW Minis because BMW bought Rover in 1996.)

James

Just had a quick look through this thread and felt compelled to comment on James' piece of blatent slander.

Just because BMW bought Rover from British Aerospace does NOT make the classic Mini a BMW. The last proper change to the old Mini was the 97MY where things like airbags, side impact protection, the relocation of the radiator etc were changed. Even these changes happened before BMW would have had any influence. The very last Minis were just special editions, rebadged etc. to help sales... :roll:

In the same way, the new Mini is also only just a BMW - (despite what BMW would have you believe), it was design in England, by the English with only BMW more or less in the background overseeing the project, to such a small extent that the the start of production was delayed by six months when BMW finally decided to double check the quality systems. Remember, the New Mini in its current shape was unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor Show as long ago as in September 1997 (as a running prototype, not just a static concept car) - Mini's are NOT really BMW's :evil: :evil:
David
Pritch
Starting to lose Control

classic mini

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:27 pm

Oh..yea.. the term in the UK is reshelling NOT re VIN.. check out www.bmh-ltd.com..or to the DLVA.. I do not claim to be a expert on classic minis.. like Hotel Cal.. but I have forgot more about minis that you will EVER know. Know what you are talking about.. before you stick your foot in your mouth.. bc

Postby Hollister » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:28 pm

I never said that I would know nearly as much as you know about minis, but you should show some respect. Or do you know what that is?
"There is a land called Passive Aggressiva, and I am their Queen." 8-[
Sulley: 2006 MCS CR/W with a few goodies! I have joined the Dark Side! :twisted:
Hollister
Red Headed Menace

classic mini

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:31 pm

thank you germany.. actually there were some limited editons.. in the last run.. 00-01 called Sevens.. I will look up the vin numbers if you like..I think that they were for the UK market only.. with a few going to Japan.. the largest market for Classic Minis for many of the last years.. bc

classic mini

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:36 pm

respect.. to BIMBO owners?/ when pigs can fly in formation at the Earl NC christmas parade.. we classic mini owners just want you to go away.. and not come to OUR events.. you should have took the hint at MME this year in Magog. Quebec.. your car is MINI in name only.. has never won the Monte Carlo Rallye and NEVER will win the WRC.. bc

Postby James » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:37 pm

David, you mistook my point. My argument was that if the MINI-haters say that the new MINI isn't a real Mini because it is owned by BMW, then you can't call the 1995-2000 Mini a real Mini either because Rover's parent company was BMW during that time. I know they are ALL real Minis/MINIs built in England, whether owned by BMC, BL, Rover, or BMW.

I wasn't slandering anyone. And it would only be considered slander if one saw something wrong with Mini being owned by BMW. I don't. I love the Mini, the MINI, the English (I'm a serious Anglophile), and although not a fan of BMW, I thank them for saving the MINI brand.

James
Last edited by James on Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Pritch » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:44 pm

James wrote:David, you mistook my point.
I love ... the English

James

OK, forgiven :wink:
David
Pritch
Starting to lose Control

Postby James » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:24 pm

bill cox wrote:John.. you did not read enough.. keep reading.. page 83-97.. overseas built mini coopers. they were called INNOCENTI.s UNITL March 73 ..Very few BIMBO owners will ever own a real classic mini.. because it requires that you have some DIY skills and know how to turn a wrench.. just calling a spade a spade. bc

I think you meant me, not John. I DID read pages 83-97 and there is no mention of an Innocenti Mini Cooper S. Innocenti Mini Coopers were built until early 1975, but NOT the S. Some of us spades DO know what we're talking about.

So, Italian Minis are real Minis but "German" MINIs are not? :roll:

If you don't want us at "your" meets, why do you come to "our" forum? It can't be for sales with your attitude, it must just be to cause trouble.

James
James
Administrator Emeritus

Re: classic mini

Postby 2minis » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:43 pm

bill cox wrote:MINI MAD.. lets show folks how stupid you BIMI owners are these days. They Made MK3 Cooper s.s up until 1973.. and made them in 1972.. also. go buy you a copy of the essential mini cooper by Anders Clausheimer..or the org. mini cooper by parnell. Are you going for the arm chair expert like Hotel Cal?/ bc

Ummmm....I can see how he got the name.
I am sure all the MINI owners on the site will be
rushing to NC to purchase. :roll:
For your info Bill most automotive message boards
talk about the problems with cars(look at some...you'll see).
Minimad...don't go "buy you" a copy. I'll lend you mine.
Anybody 'seen mah' pickup truck?
Once you get going backwards things are pretty straightforward.
2minis
Starting to lose Control

Postby Hollister » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:48 pm

Ha! I have that book... And he says we don't know crap. :roll: :roll: :roll: :evil:
Sulley: 2006 MCS CR/W with a few goodies! I have joined the Dark Side! :twisted:
Hollister
Red Headed Menace

Postby Philthy » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:15 am

I can say with no reservation that I don't know crap. My Mini sits in a storage garage and if I'm lucky it may get out once or twice a week. Phil
Philthy
Postmaster General

Postby MINIMAD » Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:30 am

I'm sorry that this site has now been infected with a certain malcontent who does the same BS over at MiniMania.com. This kind of sick garbage has destroyed participation in their site by many of the true experts over the past few years. People like this turn everything into a slagfest. Just ignore it and he'll go away....

This is specifically the type of behavior that FLAME wished to eliminate.

To correct Mr. Cox>>>>they are not "OUR" Mini meets>> YOU contribute nothing, YOU do no work, and YOU foment trouble. For YOU to claim any ownership of any part of a Mini meet is pure folly and hubris on your part. :?

PS I'm happy that the ill-informed MINI group corrected your mistake :lol: :lol: :lol: BTW, the CLUBMAN 1275GT replaced the vaunted Cooper S. CLUBBIES ROCK! 8)
MINIMAD
Cigar City Capo

Re: classic mini

Postby Nobull60 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:43 am

bill cox wrote:respect.. to BIMBO owners?/ when pigs can fly in formation at the Earl NC christmas parade.. we classic mini owners just want you to go away.. and not come to OUR events.. you should have took the hint at MME this year in Magog. Quebec.. your car is MINI in name only.. has never won the Monte Carlo Rallye and NEVER will win the WRC.. bc

Man I cannot wait to meet this guy !!!! What a friggin jerk!!!! See you soon BILLY Boy....
2009 Lexus IS 250
2006 Road Star Midnight
2004.5 Dodge Ram Cummins
http://www.bmschoppers.com
Nobull60
Postmaster General

Postby Pritch » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:51 am

Maybe I have missed the point here, but isn't the classic Mini a classic car with its roots based in over 40 years of automotive heritage. Isn't the 'BMW' Mini a new car with its engineering based on modern-world standard and its 'heart' based on the classic Mini values?

As such, the two cars can live together in parallel, not as a competition or rivalry between the two - every new Mini owner knows that without the old Mini, the new Mini would not have existed as it does today, while at the same time every old Mini owner knows that they are driving a car that by modern car standards is a potential death trap - but it is still a classic car.

I owned a 1997 MY car for 3 year and drove lots of other Minis before that, like an early 1960's Mini with the gearstick a wobbly long arm connected directly to the gearbox and the headlamp dip switch a button on the floor next to the clutch - always an experience. The most fun was the fleet of Mini Pick-ups that my Dad's workshop had :lol:

If I was to buy a Mini now then I would buy an older one with the expressed plan of 'getting my hands dirty' working on it - but I would keep my new Mini as reliable transport ;)

P.S. I am NOT Germany - I just live there!
David
Pritch
Starting to lose Control

Postby Hotelcalif » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:31 pm

Hello
I am Hotelcalif that Bill Cox speaks of. For some reason he likes to put me down. Maybe because I have defended many that he has flamed on the "other" board. I am no armchair expert but have owned and restored many classic minis. Have owned all types except a Moke. Mike Priest knows me well. At this time I have a classic van being restored and two MINI Cooper S's.
If you have interest in buying a classic I can put you on to many sellers who will not treat you as trash.
If you would like some pictures of someones handywork e-mail me. I do not want to litter this board with such trash.
Hotelcalif
Barely in Control

Postby Nobull60 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:06 pm

See everyone I knew there were more good classic owners around then idiots like bc. Welcome to the boards Hotelcalif. Cool name and great albumn. Always been a big Eagles fan. And yes, I am very interested in acquiring a classic in the near future. Hopefully by next spring. Please keep me in mind. Thanks and welcome to SSM.
2009 Lexus IS 250
2006 Road Star Midnight
2004.5 Dodge Ram Cummins
http://www.bmschoppers.com
Nobull60
Postmaster General

Postby backstay » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:34 am

I am a friend of MiniMad and Hotel cailf on the MM board. Feel free to ask advice. I have imported several minis from UK and OZ; it's not that difficult or scary, if you check out your sources thoroughly.
backstay
Relative Newbie

Postby Hollister » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:39 pm

HotelCali and Backstay, welcome to Sunshine MINIs. I think I speak for everyone on here when I say "We love the Classics," despite what some people think. :roll: (And we're good people, as well.... Well...most of us are. ;) )
Hollister
Red Headed Menace

Postby backstay » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:33 pm

I also like the new mini, and would have an S, but I need a larger car for my work, and I have the classic for fun and car shows. maybe once I have built my garage, there will be room for a new MINI..
backstay
Relative Newbie

Postby kapps » Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:45 pm

My family has a new Cooper S and love it. I'm looking for an old late 60's 'S' for myself in the next couple years. I've found some great tips on this forum.
kapps
Losing Control

PreviousNext

Return to Classic Mini Chat