Acquiring a classic?

General classic Mini discussions.

Moderators: 2phun, MINIMAD

Postby 2minis » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:05 pm

Tis true Minimad...but is not love blind?? \:D/
Once you get going backwards things are pretty straightforward.
2minis
Starting to lose Control

Postby James » Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:26 pm

The Mini Sport 500 I considered was already in the US, somewhere in NY. I would be too afraid to put out my money, only to have the Mini seized at Customs. I'd only get one if I could pay and take delivery in the US.

I think now there WAS a special edition called the Se7en sometime near the end of the classic Minis run. Trying to find out more about it.

Where are those knowledgeable FLAME people when you need them? :D

James
James
Administrator Emeritus

Postby James » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:35 pm

Website about the special edition Mini Se7en from 2000:
http://www.geocities.com/minise7en2001/menupage2.htm

James
James
Administrator Emeritus

Postby MINIMAD » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:27 am

The heck with love....I hope customs is blind! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MINIMAD
Cigar City Capo

Postby 2minis » Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:47 am

I think this quote from that site is what I find so interesting about
the Seven model.
"deliberately styled to look like a mid 60’s Mini...."
It actually reminds me of the first S I drove in '68.
Thanks for the link James!!!!!
2minis
Starting to lose Control

Postby 2minis » Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:50 am

2minis
Starting to lose Control

classic minis

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:52 pm

BC.. here .. some advise on buying a classic minis.. lots of scammers telling you that they can get a 2000 mini legally.. they can not.. the problem with the SPI and MPi.. is that they have OBD and when something goes wrong.. you can NOT fix it.. also.. go see it in person.. classics minis have a real bad rust problem.. and if you are NOT a DIY. do not even think about buying a real mini.... bill cox montecarlmini.net

Postby MINIMAD » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:48 pm

Anyone who wants to know how bill cox feels about MINI owners can go to minimania.com message threads & do a search on him, "bluegoose" is his tag.
MINIMAD
Cigar City Capo

classic minis

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:26 pm

I am not a fan of the new BIMI or BMW NA..and do NOT try to hide this.. but I am the largest importer of classic minis and have been for many years.( 324 sold).bc ps.. I am a lic. NC dealer.. most of the guys you were discussing were curbers..

Postby Philthy » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:05 pm

Nobull60 wrote:I am looking for a classic mini for sale. Any suggestions on what to look for?? I don't really want to buy from an oversea's seller. I would rather buy from someone like DJminis, the mini house, or really a private seller. I just don't know allot about the car. I know to look for the basic's like rust and engine oil but what else should I look for? And what is a fair price for a 1275 in ready to drive condition. I don't want to get into a restoration project but I also don't want something that will cost 10,000.00 either. Is this possible??

I will be around at Spring Thing.Feel free to take a good look at it and take it for a spin. Mine is a 1275 w/HIF38 single SU,8.4 inch disk brakes and right hand drive. I LOVE it. I want another one. Phil
Philthy
Postmaster General

classic minis

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:22 pm

Phil is right.. get a 1275cc. an disks are must ....and stick with carbs. you do not want to hear the horror stories with the SPi and Mpi minis..If you buy one. send a deposit and go drive it in PERSON.. lots of scammers on ebay. bc

Postby 2minis » Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:44 am

I'd love to hear some of the "horror" stories.
I've heard everything from...'the final run' was
bad to 'efi problems.' If anything, the first run of
the new MINIS was poor. The people who worked
the final run did it with passion and pride. I think,
by the time BMW came in they were fed up and that
is how the 'black and tan' or '1/2 and 1/2' made it
into the cooling systems of some of the early '02s.
Any good mechanic can easily repair an 'efi' Mini
with all parts available from the UK. My good mechanic
is Taos Garage in New Mexico.....a true British auto
enthusiast and not a 'dealer.' I've dealt with him since
my '67 MGB. :roll:
2minis
Starting to lose Control

Postby 2minis » Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:51 am

Also regarding ebay sellers....I agree. You must research the
seller carefully and buy only from those with 99% and + positive
feedback. Don't buy a Mini from someone selling the car as his
first 'big' sale item. Look back and see what he has sold...if he has
sold ten $2 items and is now selling a Mini...BEWARE. I have gotten
three vehicles on Ebay and all have exceeded my expectations.
I do the research though. My latest I purchased from a professional
race driver and it is SUHWEET!
Pics to follow.
2minis
Starting to lose Control

classic minis

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:14 am

For the horror stories.. just do a search on www.minimania.com and look for SPi and MPI problems..most of the guys on ebay are NOT lic Dealers.. and you have NO recourse if you buy a car off the site..BUT if they are you can file a complaint with the dealer board in the state the seller in Lic in.. and get a total refund.. most folks do not know this.. If you buy from a curber ( non Dealer) you have NO recourse. bc

Postby MINIMAD » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:52 am

Unless you have the definite proof of fraud, the time, and the money to fight a dealer or "curber" in court in another state, you're out of luck. Do your homework ahead of time. Know what you're looking for, and know what your looking at. CAVEAT EMPTOR in the highest order. Is your '74 Cooper S for real? (no they never made them) Is it really an illegal re-vin'd 94? Is it a bitsa? (bitsa this, bitsa that, made to look like a Cooper?) If your asked to pay $$$ for a "real" classic Cooper then the seller should furnish you with a Heritage Certificate attesting to the origin of the car. The document is readily available from the UK and is <$50.

A Mini dealer is a USED CAR DEALER, nothing more. Don't expect any more integrity than you would from any other used car dealer. There's all kinds in the business. There are some good ones, and there are some who you'll wish you never met. Ask other Mini owners for recommendations. Look at what cars they drive & prices they paid. Don't let your excitement overwhelm common sense. Inspect. Verify. Doublecheck. Get EVERYTHING in writing on your sales order. Accept NO promises.
Last edited by MINIMAD on Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MINIMAD
Cigar City Capo

classic mini

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:58 am

MINI MAD.. lets show folks how stupid you BIMI owners are these days. They Made MK3 Cooper s.s up until 1973.. and made them in 1972.. also. go buy you a copy of the essential mini cooper by Anders Clausheimer..or the org. mini cooper by parnell. Are you going for the arm chair expert like Hotel Cal?/ bc

Postby MINIMAD » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:03 pm

Sorry Bill, I do make mistakes.... :oops: :D I NEVER professed to be any kind of expert on Cooper S's as I have NO interest in them. I defer to your infinte wisdom and have edited it to make it correct.

My advice still stands.

But please let me add one thing:

Also VERY important is how dealers treat people and the respect they have for others!

Have a nice day! 8)
MINIMAD
Cigar City Capo

Postby James » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:52 pm

I'm looking at the "Original Cooper" book by Parnell and it states that the last Mini Cooper S MkIII was built in June 1971. It MAY have been sold as a 1972 model, but they certainly didn't make any in 1972 or 1973.

I know enough about acquiring a Mini to know not to buy one from a out-of-state dealer (licensed or not) who insults me and my "BINI" friends.

James
James
Administrator Emeritus

classic minis

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:11 pm

John.. you did not read enough.. keep reading.. page 83-97.. overseas built mini coopers. they were called INNOCENTI.s UNITL March 73 ..Very few BIMBO owners will ever own a real classic mini.. because it requires that you have some DIY skills and know how to turn a wrench.. just calling a spade a spade. bc

Postby Hollister » Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:17 pm

Bill Cox... You probably have not taken the time to get to any any of us hated BINI, BEON owners. I fell in love with the classic Mini before I could drive. LONG BEFORE the new MINI came out. A LOT of us are like that. And believe it or not, we DO know how to investigate if we are getting a good classic for restoration or if we're getting ripped off.

Show some respect.
"There is a land called Passive Aggressiva, and I am their Queen." 8-[
Sulley: 2006 MCS CR/W with a few goodies! I have joined the Dark Side! :twisted:
Hollister
Red Headed Menace

PreviousNext

Return to Classic Mini Chat