Acquiring a classic?

General classic Mini discussions.

Moderators: 2phun, MINIMAD

Acquiring a classic?

Postby MINIMAD » Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:02 am

If I can help answer any classic mini questions for you give me a call. Good luck!
MINIMAD
Cigar City Capo

Postby Nobull60 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:53 pm

I am looking for a classic mini for sale. Any suggestions on what to look for?? I don't really want to buy from an oversea's seller. I would rather buy from someone like DJminis, the mini house, or really a private seller. I just don't know allot about the car. I know to look for the basic's like rust and engine oil but what else should I look for? And what is a fair price for a 1275 in ready to drive condition. I don't want to get into a restoration project but I also don't want something that will cost 10,000.00 either. Is this possible??
2009 Lexus IS 250
2006 Road Star Midnight
2004.5 Dodge Ram Cummins
http://www.bmschoppers.com
Nobull60
Postmaster General

Postby minicoopersgirl » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:52 pm

Yikes, You are asking a lot Bruce....you'll just have to keep your eye out for that. Call all the dealers, give them your info, let them know what you are looking for, so if they have/get one they can contact you.
minicoopersgirl
Supastar

Postby Nobull60 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:56 pm

Yeah I know I'm asking lots and I have been talking with DJ in Ocala but the problem is distance. He is way up there. And he wants me to drive up to see what he has to get an idea of what to look for. I know that I want right hand drive and a classic in good body and good mechanical condition.
2009 Lexus IS 250
2006 Road Star Midnight
2004.5 Dodge Ram Cummins
http://www.bmschoppers.com
Nobull60
Postmaster General

Postby Car Guy David » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:59 pm

With what you want the $10000 price tag might be hard to find. There's several dealers on the web and when you look at there cars and find one that is nice the prices can shoot up to around $20000 or more for an S.Image
LONG LIVE THE SQUIRREL GODS!
Car Guy David
MINI Psycho

Postby MINIMAD » Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:31 am

I'd be happy to help out if I can and share what I know about the car, importing , dealers, whatever.

Make the trip to Ocala, Dion's a good guy and fair. If nothing else you'll learn a bunch. Its worth the trip. It'll save you $ in the long run.

Did you know there is a Mini dealer in Bradenton, M&S http://www.mandsautos.com/

Take a look at Turky's in Charleston SC http://www.turkys.com/mini.html

Feel like importing?, call
John Hodge @
http://planetmini.tripod.com/welcome/

or David Weber @
http://barnhillminis.bizland.com/

or Alan Tozer @ Henley Classic Minis in Oxfordshire

Rust, rust, rust. Did I mention, rust? Well, that's the biggest issue. Find a car with the best shell you can. Don't worry about the engine. A used and usable 1275 engine is about $800 and a day's work. ALL Minis have rust, somewhere. Be very careful. Learn about the car & where to look.

Go online and search through the classic mini webring. You'll find some informative sites with diagram's of the cars & where to inspect closely.

As far as prices, I'm a cheap bastard. I've bought out of the UK and haven't paid more than $2,400 for a car. Add $1,200 shipping. If you saw my orange clubman that was a $3,800 car landed & registered. It was a clubman (admitedly an acquired taste) and 1098cc with 55,000 miles. I just bought a 1978 Clubman Estate w/22,622 miles and it will arrive in Nov for a total of $2,800.

That said, expect to pay $5k to $7k for a reasonable Mini here in the states. There's no $ for a dealer to make under that price range. They're paying what I am, you know. I saw a Mini Equinox in Dunedin that was purchased from M&S for around $7k that was most excellent. I sold my orange car at a fire sale price of $5,500 last November. It was heavily modified and a reliable daily driver. Its since been resold by MiniMover in Canada & I bet he got $6,500+.
Last edited by MINIMAD on Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MINIMAD
Cigar City Capo

Postby James » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:26 pm

Good info, thanks. I am looking for a Mini soon, and plan to contact Dion in Ocala.

Note to moderator: you might split off the last few posts and move them over to the Classic Mini forum.

James
James
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Gleep » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:28 pm

James wrote:Good info, thanks. I am looking for a Mini soon, and plan to contact Dion in Ocala.

Note to moderator: you might split off the last few posts and move them over to the Classic Mini forum.

James

done
Gleep
Classic AdMinistrator

Postby xanthus » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:55 pm

Those in country links are nice. Saw some really cool Minis....
"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security. " --Ben Franklin
xanthus
Dark Lord of the Shots

Postby MINIMAD » Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:33 pm

I just received an email from Henley Classic Minis in Oxfordshire UK. He has a nice 1000cc 1971 Mini for sale with around 50K on it. He also can supply a Mini to any specification you wish.

Anyone interested, shoot him an email. Their site is listed at BAYMINIS.COM The owner is Alan Tozer. I have bought two minis from him, a 1971 (blue) and 1978 (orange) Clubman saloon. His prices were fair, he sent plenty of photos. He was pleasant to work with, fulfilled his obligations and all paperwork was in order and timely.

As with ANY dealer - know what you are buying. Get as much info & documentation as possible. If you wish you can hire the AA or RAC to send an engineer to inspect any Mini you locate in the UK. The cost is around $270 last time I checked. You will receive a full written report on the car from them.

If you don't know Minis, catch me at MacDinton's or Cricketeers and for a pint I'll chew your ear off on what to look for. :D
MINIMAD
Cigar City Capo

Postby 2minis » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:52 am

Any info about the Seven model made at the end of Rovers
run would be appreciated.
Once you get going backwards things are pretty straightforward.
2minis
Starting to lose Control

Postby James » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:29 am

Hmm. :-k

Seven (or Se7en) was the name given to the early Austin Minis in 1959 which was soon dropped in 1962 when they were just called Austin Mini. None of the Rover-era Minis were called Seven that I know of. What did you want to know about the last of the classic Rover Minis? (Technically the last 4 years of the classic Minis can be considered BMW Minis because BMW bought Rover in 1996.)

James
James
Administrator Emeritus

Postby 2minis » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:52 pm

At the end of the run they produced a limited number of Sevens.
I don't know much about it but different wheels than the Sportspack
and Knightsbridge but same engine. Not that I am thinking about getting one.... :^o
2minis
Starting to lose Control

Postby MINIMAD » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:32 pm

Are you refering to the last 500 produced? I knew they were for "collectors" but hadn't seen the "Seven" designation before?
MINIMAD
Cigar City Capo

Postby 2minis » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:37 pm

It is one of the last. Don't know if
it was in the last 500 though???
I'll know more after early December.
2minis
Starting to lose Control

Postby James » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:42 pm

The last 500 classic Minis off of the line in 2000 were limited edition Minis called Mini Cooper Sport 500. The last one (red/silver) went right back into the Mini Museum. See the last Mini below.

You can find these for sale on UK sites. They can cost upwards of $17,000 (and aren't technically legal for import). I'm considering one myself if I don't get a custom Mini built by Dion at DJMinis.

James
Last edited by James on Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
James
Administrator Emeritus

Postby 2minis » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:45 pm

Thanks for that info James. This car will
prove to have an interesting background.
On a UK site forum they are known but
apparently not real well.
2minis
Starting to lose Control

Postby James » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:02 pm

Does that mean you are getting one? I have to see it!

James
James
Administrator Emeritus

Postby 2minis » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:37 pm

James...
You've got mail....
2minis
Starting to lose Control

Postby MINIMAD » Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:22 am

Just remember, as production ended, quality diminished. Also, all Minis were assembled before painting and have rust from the factory. Ask Dion. I believe the better Minis were around 97 or so.

BTW, there's no "technically" to it. They are illegal as hell. You either have to change the VIN out to an older, legal car (illegal act in both the UK & US) or use other methods to avert customs. Can it be done? Sure. Is customs starting to look closer? Yes. No 25 y.o. Mini had injection, airbags, a/c, etc... Customs ain't stoopid. Just remember its your $$ and the penalty is the car gets crushed. It happens. Oh, you can be fined & imprisoned too. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone, just don't do it blindly.
MINIMAD
Cigar City Capo

Next

Return to Classic Mini Chat