Acquiring a classic?

General classic Mini discussions.

Moderators: 2phun, MINIMAD

Postby Justin Wellsted » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:41 am

Exactly, they changed the format of the name to capitals, there shouldn't be an issue, but there is. We tried a petiton to the government to clamp down on it, but it turns out they are on there side, oh well.
Special-Jussy
Middlesex Mini Club
www.mmc.uk.com
Justin Wellsted
Relative Newbie

Re: Acquiring a classic?

Postby twitchy_red_mini » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:03 pm

Hello.... I'm WAAAAAYYYYYY late to this thread..... and to bring it back to how it started.....

Twitchy is almost paid off and that's going to free up a lot of money to put towards a Mini. Here's the thing, I want to race it in the SCCA, so I don't really want to spend a whole lot on the car, it doesn't have to be the prettiest mini out there but a strong motor and RHD is important to me. Could I find one for between $2-4k? I'm ok with importing it from the UK if needed. Is my dream possible?? Also, how much would it cost to throw a roll cage in a classic???

Hey, who bought Dingo last?? Is he up for sale again?
I'm so far behind I think I'm first......
MCS06 CR/B "Twitchy"++++ d=#!drt!db++ 1+ W++F! cT++cMScV++ CR++++CP- pS++pY++ SSMm+SSMo-SSMe+ PkPtPTPI?Pi?PC+++Pm---PM?Ps---!#PW-PV+
twitchy_red_mini
Let's face it, you've lost it

roll cage

Postby captbj » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:35 pm

one pre-fab roll cage option is the Safety Devices unit which you can get from Seven, and I'm sure others here in the States, altho it is actually produced un the UK (can you save money and buy there????)

Basic rear hoop for bolt in mount - 4 points: $595 plus shipping
Description: UK-made Safety Devices bolt-in roll cage, less diagonal bar. This bar with support tubes to the rear wheel wells is a good safety addition for street use and is required by most race organizers. Use in addition to C-STR237SD front cage for race applications. See also C-STR238SD door bars.
http://www.7ent.com/detail.cfm?pageid=2146

Must ship by truck.

The front of the cage which also bolts in: $495 plus shipping
Description: Safety Devices is one of UK's main roll bar manufacturers. This front cage is designed to be used with C-STR47SD rear cage, sold separately. Must ship by truck.

And door bars are $150 each .....

Install of this unit is 'fun' ... to get the main rear loop in you gut the interior and place the hoop inside the car then wranp a big strap clamp around the bottom of the legs and squeeze them together until you can fit the unit past the door pillars....

I have the cage less side door bars ... short answer is a Safety Devices unit will cost $1000 or more for a cage, $500+ for just a rear bar. Install is 'fun' and it is a bolt together set but if building a full race unit I suppose you could weld it up, if allowed under the rules (I don't race so dunno)
BJ
Captain retired
02S new off the lot 08/02 & sold 06/09 @ 98k and change
07S 10/07 - sold 10/13
79 Austin Saloon, very modified, since 2004
new daily driver 2014 Focus ST(3)
15 R59 Roadster S - new off lot 6/16 - Mrs' car
captbj
What's Control??

Postby twitchy_red_mini » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:03 pm

Yeah, I've gotten a similar answer from someone that has already installed one. He learned how to weld just to do it so he did most of the work and it still cost him $3000-$3500, and he said it was an event! I might be able to find a good old boy around here that might be able to do it. I know a lot of rednecks with big trucks, I'm sure somebody knows a welder somewhere!
I'm so far behind I think I'm first......
MCS06 CR/B "Twitchy"++++ d=#!drt!db++ 1+ W++F! cT++cMScV++ CR++++CP- pS++pY++ SSMm+SSMo-SSMe+ PkPtPTPI?Pi?PC+++Pm---PM?Ps---!#PW-PV+
twitchy_red_mini
Let's face it, you've lost it

Re:

Postby Alecs Minis in London » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:38 pm

James wrote:Good info, thanks. I am looking for a Mini soon, and plan to contact Dion in Ocala.

Note to moderator: you might split off the last few posts and move them over to the Classic Mini forum.

James

Let me James, looks like I could be back in Orlando 2011, it would be nice to se it ;)b

Oh west cost 2010 for me.
Alecs Minis in London
Out of Control

Postby Minimania » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:49 am

Just FYI, the Mini Mania Website has a great list of cars for sale across the country.
Minimania
Relative Newbie

Postby James » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:05 pm

Mini Mania Website

Fixed the link. :waving:
James
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Green Hornet » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:22 pm

Starting my search for a pre-2001 Mini but would like advice:
Sources of information to read, books, websites, etc. Who locally (Jacksonville area) works on classic mini's (since I am "Tim the Tool-Man Taylor as my friends would say). People who've been there and like to help newbies with suggestions, things to consider, maybe a list/process to follow.
I'm sure the responses will lead to more questions.......

Thanks, :mrgreen:
Green Hornet
Green Hornet
Formerly known as ITL

Postby AAONMS » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:21 pm

Green Hornet wrote:Starting my search for a pre-2001 Mini but would like advice:
Sources of information to read, books, websites, etc. Who locally (Jacksonville area) works on classic mini's (since I am "Tim the Tool-Man Taylor as my friends would say). People who've been there and like to help newbies with suggestions, things to consider, maybe a list/process to follow.

Subscribed
His: Traveller - 2011 R56 JCW EG/B
Hers: Max (short for Maxine) - 2012 R60 S ALL4 Cosmic Blue
Shriners
Buccaneer Region, SCCA

AAONMS
Postmaster General

Postby bobbiemartin » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:10 pm

Green Hornet wrote:Starting my search for a pre-2001 Mini but would like advice:

Send me an email
Bobbie Martin
1975 Mini Pickup restoration project
bobbiemartin
What's Control??

Postby MUNGO » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:27 pm

You've got a great local source for hands on help with Bobbie! He did some great work for me on Dingo and has always been very helpful with his vast Mini knowledge. ;)b
Check out my website... MungoInc.com
MUNGO
MINI Stalker

Postby Green Hornet » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:16 pm

Thanks, you were correct - Bobbie and I spoke and he is currently reviewing a car I am interested in. :mrgreen:
Green Hornet
Green Hornet
Formerly known as ITL

Postby moonloop » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:43 pm

I saw a classic yesterday. Red and white, though could have been red and silver. Had the 4 spotlights and sportspack. Had Y reg UK plates front and rear to suggest it was a 2001 registration.
I understand that it need to be a pre 1972 car to imported but how was this done!? I mean it's a 10 year old car pretending to be older. If the UK plates are original and the fact that it has airbags show it's not old! How is this car here?! Loved it BTW.
moonloop
Made in England

Postby bobbiemartin » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:09 pm

moonloop wrote:I saw a classic yesterday. Red and white, though could have been red and silver. Had the 4 spotlights and sportspack. Had Y reg UK plates front and rear to suggest it was a 2001 registration.
I understand that it need to be a pre 1972 car to imported but how was this done!? I mean it's a 10 year old car pretending to be older. If the UK plates are original and the fact that it has airbags show it's not old! How is this car here?! Loved it BTW.

I'm sure what you saw was a legally imported car that had been painstakingly restored to resemble a newer car, right down to the very last bolt. As you state, it would be against the law to import a car newer than legally allowed. I would never entertain the thought that some unscrupulous scofflaw would take a newer car and change the VIN tag to make a newer car have an older VIN and logbook, making it look like it's an older car for importation purposes. I mean, Mini owners are all law abiding citizens, don't you think?
Bobbie Martin
1975 Mini Pickup restoration project
bobbiemartin
What's Control??

Postby moonloop » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:12 pm

Of course, all mini owners abide by the letter of the law!
Just found it odd that whoever checks out what is being imported doesn't find it odd that a car that is supposedly from the 70s has multi point ignition and airbags!
I have owned 2 classics in the UK and would love one here! Law or not, I think it's awesome that there are such 'loopholes'!
moonloop
Made in England

Postby captbj » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:30 pm

I understand that it need to be a pre 1972 car to imported but how was this done!?

Actually the rule is the car must be 25 years old or older so this year you can import up to a 1987

from Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car, Feb 12 issue - here's "some of the more interesting cars now eligibe for import to the USA"

Aston Martin V8 Zagato
Citroen BX 16-valve
Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth
Nissan BE-1
Moskvich 2141
Lancia Delta Integrale V8
Mitsubishi Debonair V 3000 Royal AMG
MVS Venturi 20
Renault 21 Turbo
Toyota Crown
VW Polo GT40
and NISSAN Skyline 2000GTS-R

BTW: Do remember that some number of the 'final run' of Mini - was it 100? or 1000 cars, I forget - but some number of 2000's were granted an exemption under the 1999 "Show or Display" rule which grants an exemtion for "historically or technologically significant vehicles never certified .... for sale in the US". The 2001 plate would be explained by the car first being registered (UK) in 2001 - {also why some UK documents for my 79 say it is an 80.}
BJ
Captain retired
02S new off the lot 08/02 & sold 06/09 @ 98k and change
07S 10/07 - sold 10/13
79 Austin Saloon, very modified, since 2004
new daily driver 2014 Focus ST(3)
15 R59 Roadster S - new off lot 6/16 - Mrs' car
captbj
What's Control??

Previous

Return to Classic Mini Chat