Friendship Opportunity Within!

Events in Central Florida.

Moderators: James, JCWRocket

Friendship Opportunity Within!

Postby khor1287 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:02 am

Do you want to make a new friend? Do you truly enjoy working on not just your car but all cars? Are you a easy going fun loving philanthropic person? Do you have a free days on weekends?....Do you want to help me do a brake job on my mini?

If you answered yes to any of these you might have found a new friend in me! I'm still a fairly new mini owner and have come to realize that if I improve or more to the point gain some automotive mechanical skills I will save myself tons of money. In pursuit of these mythical money savings I have decided to undertake a brake pad, rotor, line and fluid change/upgrade. I am confident that I can accomplish this task but guidance from a more experienced person is always appreciated when dealing with life saving components.....

If there are any hard learned tips or tricks you would like to share please do. Any good guides or videos you may know about would also be appreciated. I've done a lot of research but I'll take all the help I can get.

If anyone wants to help me complete my first venture under the hood lets talk. If there are any other beginners out there that want to collaborate and work on both our cars I'm more then willing to buy/supply all the tools required (even after upgraded parts and all the tools I'll still save at least $200 off my last quote and that's most of a sway bar :-D ). I'm a fast learner and also pretty good with my hands. I figure that it shouldn't take more then 3 hours per car even for a beginner and probably far fewer.

I'll be attempting this brake upgrade in a week or two, depending on shipping times, if anyone wants to help in any way in person or by saying "you can do it!" or something it would be more then appreciated.
O2' MCS - Loki
15% Pulley, Flat Floor Rear Seat Delete
khor1287
Rookie

Re: Friendship Opportunity Within!

Postby captbj » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:11 pm

well I've shown more than a few folks how to do pads and rotors and if you want to take a day and come over to the beach I'd be happy to show you too. I've got all the needed tools and a garage and a fridge full of refreshment.

Personally I'd do the pads and rotors ... ensure everything is good to go for a few days / weeks, then come back and do the lines. But that's me .... change one thing at a time. And you can screw up the ABS if you fubar the fluid change . . . an item I always consider and sometimes the 'right' equipment matters . . I flush my 79, but take my MINI to a shop.

Are you GEN1 or GEN2? (what year / model)

for GEN1 there are good DIY guides on NAM - they are good in general too because I've found that most disks are very similar once you've done one set so even if you are GEN2 you might want to look at the GEN1 DIY {GEN2 is easier in many ways}

PM me if you can't find the links, I also have 'em saved as PDF and I have a GEN1 Haynes too . . .
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/fo ... nners.html

I'm near Patrick AFB, just off 95 . . . and retired so almost always available to 'play cars' .. except Saturdays when I'm often car showing . . .

hint wise if you don't want to come over I have two

1. the number one problem people have on this job is probably not being able to remove the TORX that holds the rotor in place. Give this a good soak with PB-Blaster and take your time. BE SURE your TORX socket is fully seated into the bolt and expect to use a breaker bar. Slow even pressure is best IMO. Many recommend an impact gun ... I don't. If you DO shear the head remember this bolt is just to hold the rotor in place during assembly - it harms nothing to go without it. the rotor bolt is a T-45 torx as I recall (I have a socket set with 40, 45, and 50) from Harbor Freight and I'm covered (part of the trick is keeping the hub from turning while you try to loosen this, especially on the fronts. I wedge it with two lugs and a piece of re-bar.

2. Don't know what research you've done but a factor to remember on the MINI is that the rear caliber piston must be turned as it is pushed back. This is not unique to MINI - it is a function of the e-brake system employed on the rear disk brakes. Altho it can be done without, a 'special tool' can make this a lot easier. Harbor Freight has a kit one with adapters for the many different cars that use this e-brake system (I have one)
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-piece-d ... 69053.html
or
http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-cooper/ ... l_set.html

major auto part chains often have a tool lending program as well . .

if doing GEN1 the caliber bolts are 7mm hex. again I have a small set of metric hex sockets from HF that covers it. If you are GEN2 then the caliber bolt are a standard bolt pattern and a metric set of sockets or wrenches will cover you.

feel free to PM any ?'s
BJ
Captain retired
02S new off the lot 08/02 & sold 06/09 @ 98k and change
07S 10/07 - sold 10/13
79 Austin Saloon, very modified, since 2004
new daily driver 2014 Focus ST(3)
15 R59 Roadster S - new off lot 6/16 - Mrs' car
captbj
What's Control??

Postby khor1287 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:53 am

@captbj

My Loki is a 02 Hardtop S. Its pretty standard except a 15% pulley and a half finished flat floor I put in.

Thanks a lot for the offer, I think I will take you up on it. What really needs doing on my car is new rotors and pads, the new lines come in the kit I'm going to purchase and figured that a fluid change/upgrade would be a good idea at the same time. I'm do in soon for a scheduled maintenance at my shop so may be ill have them do that while its on a lift for not too much extra.

Here are the brakes I plan on ordering this weekend:

http://ecommerce.mossmotors.com/p/new-mini/mini-brakes/brake-kits/high-performance-brake-kit/100-552M

They are the best I found without spending a ton of cash. Standard brakes haven't disappointed me yet but for just a little more I can get these fancier looking drilled ones so that's always good.

Once I order my brakes and get a shipping date I will PM you and we can make plans.

P.S. The local brewery has some award winning refreshments and I'd be happy to brings samples :cheers:
O2' MCS - Loki
15% Pulley, Flat Floor Rear Seat Delete
khor1287
Rookie

Postby Alice Cooper » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:16 pm

Did you check Way motor works on the brake parts ? you could probably do better on price and even go red stuff on the pads which a lot of folks claim are better than green stuff. Just my opinion Moss is kinda pricey.
Alice Cooper
Out of Control

Postby captbj » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:34 pm

how you liken those RBC reds?
BJ
Captain retired
02S new off the lot 08/02 & sold 06/09 @ 98k and change
07S 10/07 - sold 10/13
79 Austin Saloon, very modified, since 2004
new daily driver 2014 Focus ST(3)
15 R59 Roadster S - new off lot 6/16 - Mrs' car