What Was The Last Movie You Saw?

Recommend a good movie, CD, or book in this forum.

Moderators: BillTheCat, Sarah

Re: What Was The Last Movie You Saw?

Postby 2phun » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:16 am

Caveman wrote:Inception. i highly suggest you seeing it. its pretty great. ;)b

Hearing good reviews from others on this one.
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby MINI_Marc » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:12 pm

Inception was really really good. Probably one of the best movies I've seen this year.

You definitely need to see this one multiple times, but don't wait for it to come out onto DVD to rent. This is a MUST SEE in the theaters or IMAX if you can. The special F/X are amazingly done and the story is very creative and captivating all the way through. The first 30 minutes or so starts kind of slow, but it picks right up and doesn't loose you. I really like how they take the time to explain everything so you aren't confused beyond belief.

~MM
15% Alta Pulley | Minspeed CAI | "One Ball" Exhaust | TSW V2 Engine Damper | 2 Kicker Comp 10 Subs and 250Watt JL Audio Amp | JL Audio Front/Rear Speakers | JVC Head Unit | JCW Rear Wing | Ociari Cowl Scoops | Blue/White LED Interior Lighting | JCW GP Intercooler
MINI_Marc
Leader of the posse

Postby minimetoo » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:03 am

Wife and I took in THE SORCERER'S APPRENTICE end DESPICABLE ME in Real 3D.

THE SORCERER'S APPRENTICE is a good breezy Saturday afternoon popcorn action/adventure flick the reviews kind of sum it up. It's worth seeing in a matinee and even manages to pay homage to the FANTASIA dancing mop/broom scene. You'll enjoy it but

DESPICABLE ME in Real 3D. That's another story all together. First ya gotta see it in the Real 3D (the 3D glasses won't even bug you) and it's worth full price. Really great story telling subtly told - Gru the evil master mind needs to adopt these three little orphans to complete his evil plan to steal the moon. Of course they start worming their way into his cruel old heart. And who won't like the MINION's in their role of comic relief they're adorable - Twinkies in bid overalls and goggles to do your despicable evil master mind's bidding - just brilliant. Oh - early on there is a great sight gag at Gru's bank watch for it. A great afternoon at a really good 3D movie, but I did leave craving Twinkies on the way home (I'm jus sayin).

ImageTHE MORE I LOOK AROUND THIS PLANET, THE MORE I AM CONVINCED THAT IT IS USED BY OTHER PLANETS AS AN INSANE ASYLUM. George Bernard Shaw
minimetoo
Postmaster General

Location: In my secret lair of justice in the sewers of Jacksonville. I can see right up yer dress.

Postby JBKone » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:53 pm

I heard D. Me was great
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby 2phun » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:21 am

Another good Netflix find...The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
(Män Som Hatar Kvinnor; Millennium: Part 1: Men Who Hate Women)
Journalist Mikael Blomkvist (Michael Nyqvist) and rebellious computer hacker Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace) team up to investigate the unsolved disappearance of wealthy Henrik Vanger's (Sven-Bertil Taube) teen niece (Ewa Fröling), only to uncover dark secrets about Vanger's powerful family. Niels Arden Oplev directs this Swedish thriller based on the first novel from Stieg Larsson's best-selling trilogy.

It's a Scandinavian thriller that's brilliantly done. It's not Hollywood, so some of the scenes are a bit more graphic (sexually brutal) than what you might expect, but less graphic (guns, explosions, gore, etc.) than many domestic thrillers of late. I haven't read the book that this was based on, but it's already on my short list. This is a murder mystery that taps into some touchy topics, and pulls it off well. I got near the end of the movie and thought everything was wrapped up as I recognized a major twist, then realized there was another big twist I didn't see coming. Love that. Short of the last 10 minutes, I probably would have been content to give it a well-deserved 4 stars, but since it caught me off guard in the end I'll give it 5. :)
:clap:
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby 2phun » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:43 am

Currently watching (or attempting to watch) Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. It LOOKS cool, but that's about it so far. I just can't seem to stay focused on it long enough to get through the whole thing. This is my third sitting, and I'm already doubting I'll make it through the whole thing. My suggestion...watch the trailer instead.
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby JBKone » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:27 pm

2phun wrote:Currently watching (or attempting to watch) Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. It LOOKS cool, but that's about it so far. I just can't seem to stay focused on it long enough to get through the whole thing. This is my third sitting, and I'm already doubting I'll make it through the whole thing. My suggestion...watch the trailer instead.

Yes, it does look good: it looks fantastic! Would have been nice if the movie was as good as it looked. IMO, it's worth watching just for the visuals, but I can understand if you have a hard time staying into it.
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby MINI_Marc » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:30 am

Fun Fact, that movie was shot completely on a Green Screen. Even in the airplanes or whatever they were, the actors were just sitting on Green Screen covered boxes and stuff.

~MM
15% Alta Pulley | Minspeed CAI | "One Ball" Exhaust | TSW V2 Engine Damper | 2 Kicker Comp 10 Subs and 250Watt JL Audio Amp | JL Audio Front/Rear Speakers | JVC Head Unit | JCW Rear Wing | Ociari Cowl Scoops | Blue/White LED Interior Lighting | JCW GP Intercooler
MINI_Marc
Leader of the posse

Postby JBKone » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:57 pm

Expendables. I liked it. Wasn't GREAT, but it certainly was fun. Wishing Jet Li would have had a bigger fight scene - he's good. Lots of gratuitous explosions :-D Any movie with a seaplane gets extra points in my opinon ;)b
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby MINI_Marc » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:04 am

Finally got around to watching Hot Tub Time Machine. Funny movie. Good inappropriate humor bromance kind of movie. Glad I only rented it though. Would have been kinda miffed if I paid full price for a ticket....though I probably would have been with my friends, which would have made it better.... :-k

~MM
MINI_Marc
Leader of the posse

Postby Green Hornet » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:26 am

JBKone wrote:Expendables. I liked it. Wasn't GREAT, but it certainly was fun. Wishing Jet Li would have had a bigger fight scene - he's good. Lots of gratuitous explosions :-D Any movie with a seaplane gets extra points in my opinon ;)b

I'm with you. I took my boys 12 and 14 - it is a guy movie for sure. Love fast, loud, explosions and an ok story line - this is it. Afterwards we rented and watch 3 Rambos - we're Stalloned-out now. :mrgreen:
Green Hornet
Green Hornet
Formerly known as ITL

Postby Rabidfox » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:04 am

Did you receive the "mangasm" the previews promised :lol:

Dinner for schmucks...not worth it
Rabidfox
What's Control??

Postby JBKone » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:23 pm

Rabidfox wrote:Did you receive the "mangasm" the previews promised :lol:

Dinner for schmucks...not worth it

I did not.
That's a shame, looked good.

Green Hornet wrote:Afterwards we rented and watch 3 Rambos - we're Stalloned-out now. :mrgreen:

I don't think I've ever seen the 2nd one. I should rent that.
Now you need to rent all the Rockys!
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby Rabidfox » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:24 pm

It wasn't terrible it just wasn't as funny as it seemed to be. I was expecting Longhorn and I got Chillis...
Rabidfox
What's Control??

Postby MINI_Marc » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:58 am

I just went through and edited / added a bunch of movies on my Netflix Instant Queue today. Here's a short list of what I'll be watching in the near future. I'm shooting for one movie a night.

-Bachelor Party Vegas
-The Boondock Saints
-The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day
-Dakota Skye
-The Exorcist
-Good Will Hunting
-Outsourced
-I Want Candy
-Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
-The Men Who Stare at Goats
-The Opposite of Sex
-Shakespeare in Love
-The Shawshank Redemption
-Signs
-Stan Helsing
-St. Elmo's Fire
-The Ugly Truth
-The World's Fastest Indian
-Year One
MINI_Marc
Leader of the posse

Postby Rabidfox » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:03 am

Boondock saints by far one of my all-time favs
All saints day close 2nd
Ugly truth is pretty damn funny
Rabidfox
What's Control??

Postby JBKone » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:05 pm

just saw "the other guys". I thought it was hilarious! Definitely worth a watch if you're a dumb comedy fan.
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby Rabidfox » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:11 pm

Marmaduke at the cheapo theatre. Not bad...GFs kid screamed mini when she saw it :lol: ride home she said she didn't know how I fit much less a great Dane...I'm 6'4 lol
Rabidfox
What's Control??

Postby MINI_Marc » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:27 am

I saw The Exorcism of Emily Rose the other day. Meh.

It was interesting due to the half Religious Thriller and half Courtroom Drama feel, but there wasn't enough suspense to be a real thriller and not enough good acting to be a real drama. Towards the ending of the film, it got really dragged out and boring to watch. The first parts of the film were like that too. And what happened in the middle didn't really make up for any of it.

~MM
MINI_Marc
Leader of the posse

Postby MINI_Marc » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:07 pm

I did a double feature the other day with a buddy of mine. We went to see Paranormal Activity 2 and Due Date.

Paranormal Activity 2 was very good in my opinion. Sufficiently freaked me out and have me jumping at sever parts. The first one and this one don't really tie in to each other at all. The only thing you need to know going into this one is that the guy from the first one was named Micha or something like that.

The security camera/handheld camera work made the movie seem really, real to me. Kind of like Blair Witch, only without the sea sickness and crappy ending. I'd definitely go see this one in theaters. ;)b

Due Date is the new comedy with Robert Downey Jr. and Zach Galafanakis (sp?). While funny in several places in the movie, it really isn't as funny as I was hoping it would be. No real memorable lines or parts in the movie besides what's shown in the trailers. It kind of felt like a remake of Planes, Trains and Automobiles. PT&A though is MUCH funnier than Due Date.

I give Due Date a Rent rating simply because I can't think of a reason to see this before anyone else OR a reason to see it on the big screen.

~MM
MINI_Marc
Leader of the posse

PreviousNext

Return to Movie, Music, TV, and Book Reviews