What Was The Last Movie You Saw?

Recommend a good movie, CD, or book in this forum.

Moderators: BillTheCat, Sarah

Re: What Was The Last Movie You Saw?

Postby 2phun » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:39 pm

One of the few good things about being sick is the opportunity to whittle away at my netflix queue.

"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
This one has been sitting in my queue for the longest time, but I just couldn't get myself to sit down for an almost 3-hour movie. But with Nickie in Germany, the kids at the grandparents, and me sick in bed, I knew this was the time to watch it. This was a really good movie on so many levels. Very clever storyline, well acted, a very likable main character, etc. etc. However, the length of this movie (what's been keeping me from watching it in the first place) is ultimately this movie's undoing. It's just not engaging enough to warrant the time investment. If it were a sub-two-hour movie, I probably would have given it at least 4 stars, but as it stands I'm only giving it 3.

"Brotherhood of the Wolf"
I had never heard of this one, but read the synopsis and a few reviews and thought I'd give it a whirl.
Based on an 18th-century French legend, director Christophe Gans's supernatural thriller follows naturalist Grégoire de Fronsac (Samuel Le Bihan) and his Mohawk Indian companion, Mani (Mark Dacascos), who are sent by the king to vanquish a beast that has been devouring villagers. At first skeptical of the protean creature's existence, de Fronsac pieces together evidence of a horrific, 500-pound animal. Vincent Cassell and Monica Bellucci co-star.

It's a French movie (subtitled) that tries to do a lot, and actually does most of it quite well. Period piece? Check. Action/adventure? Check. Martial arts butt-kicking? Check. Creepy thriller? Check. Fantasy? Check. Romance? Check (minus). Wonderously eye-catching cinematography, well-done and engaging sound/visual effects, overall very good acting. I'm not sure exactly where the Mohawk Indian learned his eastern martial arts, but once you get beyond a few plot flaws like that, it's a very enjoyable movie. While this one was just a few minutes shorter than Benjamin Button, it did a much better job keeping my attention. I wound up watching it twice, mainly because the first time through I spent most of my time reading the subtitles and missed the visuals. As mentioned before it's a visually satisfying movie, so I wanted to go back and see the shots I missed. Even the second time around I enjoyed it. 4 out of 5.

"The Girl Who Played with Fire"
This is the sequel to "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" that I reviewed earlier, although Netflix neglected to mention this anywhere in the synopsis. Really good, but not quite as good as the first. 4 out of 5.

"The Caveman's Valentine"
Okay, this was just a cool movie. Samuel L. Jackson plays a former piano prodigy Romulus Ledbetter, who's now a schizophrenic homeless man living in a cave in Inwood Park in NYC. He's convinced evil force Corneilius Gould Stuyvesant is sending out harmful rays from atop the Chrysler Building to control the world. He awakens Valentine's Day to find a frozen corpse nested in a tree outside his cave. When the police dismiss the death as an accident, Romulus sets out to find out the real cause. Along the way, we're taken on a haunting journey as Romulus attempts to solve the mystery. The scenes take you into Romulus's tormented mind, depicting his very own living demons and paranoias, leaving you wondering what's real and imagined...a true mind***. By far my favorite performance from Samuel L. Jackson. He's so fitting for this role. A few plot flaws keep me from giving this 5 stars, but it's the strongest film out of the bunch I'm rating today. 4.5 out of 5.

On a completely side note, check out this clip. The poster calls him a crackhead, but honestly I'm pretty sure he's schizophrenic (and I'm thinking pretty intelligent underneath). Somehow Jackson's performance reminded me of this guy.
[youtube]0BKqPh5Gv-g[/youtube]
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby MINI_Marc » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:54 am

I also found it very curious that the Curious Case of Benjamin Button was made into a 3 Hour movie when the original short story takes about 15 minutes to read through completely.

If anyone is in the mood for a B rated Zombie flick that's full of gore and funny-bad acting, check out "Zombies of Mass Destruction" on Netflix Instant. A friend of mine and I were doing a horror movie marathon one day on Netflix and we stumbled across this one. The title grabbed our attention (freakin' EPIC) and the synopsis sold us. The movie was made only a year or two ago, but it's so funny-bad that I thought it was made more like early 2000 late 90s.

Before we watched that, we saw "The Haunting in Connecticut". Meh. It was rreeaallyy slow for about the first 3/4 of the movie. Towards the end, it gets better as things start to pick up and things actually begin to happen. The story is a bit ridiculous and some of the "JUMP OUT AND SCARE YOU" parts of the movie had us going #-o and :-s and :| at a LOT. It's worth a rent I guess. Maybe a $1 Red Box rental if nothing else strikes your fancy.

Before that we watched "The Blair Witch Project". I finally got this one off my list and I must say, I was kind of impressed with it. It freaked me out sufficiently in the parts, but I was really impressed with the acting. Its not like they were fantastic Academy Award winning performances, but the overall feel of the film just seemed so, real. For being made back in the 90s, it certainly was a terrific effort on the producer's part. ;)b Fun fact, the first graduating class of the UCF Film Program made that movie. The only problem I had with this movie was the ending. I won't spoil it for anyone, but it sucked. I was hoping for something more. That, and the ending seemed to come really quick. Things start to really pick up towards the end (not that they weren't moving at a good pace to begin with), but then it suddenly stops and ends. Kind of weird. Another Fun Fact, some people actually thought that The Blair Witch Project was real footage and a real story of these 3 kids when it first came out. They made a separate documentary made-for-tv kind of thing that was supposed to air before the movie came out to sort of "set the mood" for the theater go-ers. Apparently it did it's job a little too well.
15% Alta Pulley | Minspeed CAI | "One Ball" Exhaust | TSW V2 Engine Damper | 2 Kicker Comp 10 Subs and 250Watt JL Audio Amp | JL Audio Front/Rear Speakers | JVC Head Unit | JCW Rear Wing | Ociari Cowl Scoops | Blue/White LED Interior Lighting | JCW GP Intercooler
MINI_Marc
Leader of the posse

Postby Snooter » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:01 pm

Just got my "MINI International" magazine and found a write up of the 2010 MOTD on the last page. In the article they mention a film called "Two-Lane Blacktop " that has some seens filmed on the Dragon. Guess I have to hunt that one down and check it out :mrgreen:
Not all who wander are lost

Snooter
Barry Patascher

Postby JBKone » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:57 pm

Unstoppable.

Fun. Intense when you expect it. Not unpredictable. Kinda cliche. You've seen this movie before in other movies... but it was still quite a bit of fun. I loved the railroad theme.
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby Devilina07 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:40 am

2phun wrote:Currently watching (or attempting to watch) Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

I saw this at the theater. I caught my mind wandering. Boring.
Devilina07
Movie Snob Girl

Postby Devilina07 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:15 pm

It's that time of year where I try to squeeze in as many possible Oscar contenders as I can before the Academy Awards. It's been a little slow this year. Doesn't feel like there have been as many options this awards season. I've been kinda disappointed about that.

First the obvious non-Oscar contenders:
'How Do You Know' - I needed something light while on Christmas vacation. I would not have been willing to see this movie had it not been for Paul Rudd. That man can take no wrong role because I find him to be very charming and have found him charming for a great number of years now, but this movie was mindless junk. Frankly I didn't care a lick about what happened to each character. Reese Witherspoon was a "self-sufficient" woman who vacillated between a meathead who didn't care about her feelings and a guy who was nice but had a rocky, uncertain future ahead of him. The way Witherspoon's character was presented at first you thought she'd stick for her self and not question whether her boyfriend was a chauvinist because he was. It was also surprising to see what little role Jack Nicholson had to play. Netflix this on a slow day.

'The Green Hornet' - I feel like I've been seeing the trailer for this movie for over a year. I was somewhat excited to see it at first but the more I saw the trailer the less I wanted to see it. 'The Green Hornet' was trying to be somewhat comical like 'Iron Man' but I felt I came off more like 'Dumb and Dumber' (this is not a compliment). As one of my friend's pointed out, we want our superheroes to grow in some way, to find meaning in the task of saving those that needed saving. Seth Rogen was put in neutral for too long and coasted on being the schlub who got his kicks being an ass. And seriously, hasn't Rogen played this role in dozens of films now? The best part of the film for me was Christoph Waltz whose talents were wasted in this film. I wouldn't necessarily skip this movie at the theater but I would only go to a matinee showing. Don't pay full price. See this if you are a fan of Michel Gondry's ('Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind') work since it was helmed by him. I like Gondry so I relented to seeing this.

'Tron Legacy' - I loved 'Tron' as a kid. I can't tell you how many times I saw it when I was little. I've tried sitting through it now and I'm scratching my head as to why I loved it so much. 'Tron Legacy' of course picks up where the last one left off. I really liked the visuals (with the exception of Jeff Bridges younger face superimposed on an actor). It's like eyecandy but the plot itself was lacking. I doubt the purpose of this film was to awe you with a storyline but it would have helped me like it that much more. The soundtrack as provided by Draft Punk was great (I now own a copy). I dug the acting by Michael Sheen and James Frain but I was left wondering if Jeff Bridges' Kevin Flynn was trying to channel The Dude from 'The Big Lebowski'. I have no problem saying "pay full price for this" but you might walk away wondering what the whole point was. I did.

Possible Oscar Contenders:
'True Grit' - Fabulous Coen Brothers remake of the John Wayne original by the same name. Much of the film is nearly word-for-word but the eye in which they capture the scenery is astounding. I liked this version much more. Jeff Bridges gave a wonderful performance as Rooster Cogburn. He stepped into some big shoes and did a great job. Hailee Steinfeld as Mattie Ross is quite the find. I really can't say how much I enjoyed this film. I certainly believe it will be nominated for Best Film and deservedly so. Pay full price for this one.

'The King's Speech' - Another fabulous role for Coin Firth. Firth plays Prince Albert (father of current Queen Elizabeth). Albert took on the name of King George VI because it was thought that the name Albert was too Germanic sounding a name especially with the upheaval at the time. Firth stuttered wonderfully through his role as Albert, the prince afflicted stuttering who was not expected to ascend the throne because his brother was first in line. The film is wonderfully shot in muted colors. Costuming was also a treasure to see. Geoffry Rush and Helena Bonham Carter play second fiddle to Firth but are deserving of any award nominations bestowed upon them. The film is a slow burner explaining how Firth's Albert was able to work through his stuttering problem but it is well worth the money. Pay full price for this one.

I've got other films I've seen which I will review in a bit.
Devilina07
Movie Snob Girl

Postby Wizard » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:29 am

Two Lane Blacktop
Wasn't that the film between a 55 Chevy and a Trans AM?
James Taylor played the mechanic for the Chevy.
R54 "Merlin" - Aero Kit, Alpine, Alta, Craven Speed, Eibach, Helix, Koni, Magnaflow, Michelin, MSD, Racing Dynamics, Rockford Fosgate, R85 S-Lites, Wilwood F&R BBK, Unichip
Wizard
formerly quicksilver1600

Postby LEASH » Mon May 02, 2011 10:35 pm

I just saw Fast Five :-D Loved it! Of course I'm a fan of all the Fast and Furious movies :motoring:
2011 MINI Cooper S Midnight Black "Stellar"
http://www.minileash.com
LEASH
Starting to lose Control

Postby minimetoo » Tue May 03, 2011 5:09 am

Ya gotta go see Rango one of the most creative "westerns" I've seen in a long time

They manage to satire every western and sci/fi movie in one within an owl mariachi band subbing for Greek commentators furthering to action with pithy quotes and merry mariachi music

Owl 1: And so the stranger basks in the adulation of his new friends. Sinking deeper into the guacamole of his own deception.
Owl 2: When is he going to die?
Owl 1: Soon, compadre. Soon.

The movie pays homage to the spaghetti western we loved as kids and takes a satiric poke at all of them along with sci/fi Lucas style. From another review ;

ango tells the story of a chameleon called, well we never actually find that out, who lives a solitary existence in a terrarium. Starved for companionship he survives the days by using his fertile imagination to act out plays and create scenarios utilising a clockwork fish and a decapitated doll. Suddenly he falls from a moving car and lands in the middle of the Mojave Desert. Seeking refuge he happens upon the old desert town of Dirt, a town populated with a cacophony of desert creatures living a meagre existence in the harsh environs. Using his anonymity he fashions himself as a gunslinger, tells a fantastical story of bravery and bravado and winds up becoming the local sheriff. It soon becomes clear however that all is not well in this quite little town and pretty soon Rango is going to be called into action.

The characters in Rango are magnificent. There's at least 20 different desert critters each with their own unique character and personality, each interesting and worthy of their own moment in the sun. That in itself is a wondrous feat of film-making. The star of the show is of course the Johnny Depp voiced Rango. Depp imbues Rango with a vibrancy, urgency and nagging self-doubt of a guy who knows his entire persona is built on a crumbling deck-of-cards. Depp inhabits the character, causing the audience to forget that he's providing the voice and allowing Rango to become the star. Isla Fisher does a strong quirky turn as Beans, her accent is spot on and her comic sensibility very much to the forefront. Ned Beatty does a villain well, his Lotso in Toy Story 3 was perhaps better but he's still solid here. Bill Nighy's Rattlesnake Jake is the prototypical Western bad-guy and Nighy gives a suitably evil performance. As good as Depp is though there is one better, Abigail Breslin as Priscilla. Sombre, morose, sweet and more than a little scary her proclamations and utterations give weight and substance to the plight of this poor town. She is the essence of why Rango must win out. Oh and the Mariachi band are brilliant.

The animation is superb. It's fluid and dynamic and shows that 2D is not quite dead yet when it comes to drawing a story. Visually sumptuous the Roger Deakins' inspired cinematography captures the west in a manner that compares favourably to Deakins own Oscar nominated turn in True Grit. This movie marks Industrial Light and Magic's first foray into animation, and if they can continue in this mould Pixar is about to get serious competition. There's an aerial assault/chase sequence here that is simply something special. John Logan's script is peppered with movie references and homages that offer something to hardcore cinema-goers and yet never distract from the tale. Sure the plot itself could be the basis of any Western but there's dialogue and discourse enough to elevate it from the dust and allow Verbinski a platform for greatness. And then there's Hans Zimmer's score… Referencing Ennio Morricone's classic work and adding a twist the soundtrack here will have you humming long after you leave the cinema.

Great animation coupled with strong characters, a good story and an inspired score, there's a lot to love here. Even with some minor flaws too trivial to mention Rango is top-class entertainment.

Go see it you'll bust a gut.

ImageTHE MORE I LOOK AROUND THIS PLANET, THE MORE I AM CONVINCED THAT IT IS USED BY OTHER PLANETS AS AN INSANE ASYLUM. George Bernard Shaw
minimetoo
Postmaster General

Location: In my secret lair of justice in the sewers of Jacksonville. I can see right up yer dress.

Postby Green Hornet » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:35 am

Recently saw an old movie that was recommended - it was funny.

The movie was "My Fellow American's". It stars Jack Lemmon, James Garner and Dan Ackroyd-the current president of the U.S. Jack and James are past presidents who act one way in front of the public, but more like grumpy old men behind the scenes. It can be a little like "Stripes" at times, but the banter between the two will remind you of Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan - two people you'll learn to like but they hate each other. You can get it on streaming Net Flicks on-line or through your service provider.

Anyway, grab your favorite drink and some food - sit back and enjoy it. ;)b
Green Hornet
Green Hornet
Formerly known as ITL

Postby JBKone » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:41 pm

Crazy, Stupid, Love. Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, Julianne Moore. Goofy guy's wife cheats and leaves him and the smooth cool guy he meets at a bar helps him regain his manhood. I liked it. It's definitely light, but there were some really funny parts. I'd say if you like the romantic comedy formula it's worth watching.
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby TReed » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:02 pm

JBKone wrote:Crazy, Stupid, Love. Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, Julianne Moore. Goofy guy's wife cheats and leaves him and the smooth cool guy he meets at a bar helps him regain his manhood. I liked it. It's definitely light, but there were some really funny parts. I'd say if you like the romantic comedy formula it's worth watching.

The BEST one I've seen in a long time. Of course, I related to the movie, A LOT, and happened to see it on the 1yr anniversary of my divorce. :roll: But it was funny and had a nice twist to it. ;)b
And OMG, Ryan Gosling =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ I give this movie 5 drools (instead of 5 stars haha)
TReed
SSM Carbon Fiber Princess

Postby JBKone » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:19 pm

watched a few this past w/e, so this wasn't the LAST movie I saw, but it was ONE OF the last ones. :P
Source Code. I thought it was very good. It wasn't blow you away good, but it was good. The premise is there is a program called "source code" that can put a live person into a dead person's mind for the final 8 minutes before he/she died. I'll let them explain how, but the story is there's an Army guy who is strapped in and goes into this guy's head for 8 minutes to try to find the bomb that killed everyone on a commuter train. He goes in over and over again gathering more clues. Throughout the movie when he's "in real life" as it were, we gain more clues about who and where he is. I thought it was very well done. I didn't know anything about it when it started but was happy I'd watched it.
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby 2phun » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:37 am

Intriguing storyline. Will look that one up. Thnx!
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Previous

Return to Movie, Music, TV, and Book Reviews