Survivors

Recommend a good movie, CD, or book in this forum.

Moderators: BillTheCat, Sarah

Survivors

Postby 2phun » Sun May 22, 2011 10:20 pm

Okay, here's another fantastic Netflix instant view find.

When a deadly strain of flu decimates the world's population, a scrappy group of survivors find themselves struggling to exist in a world devoid of electricity, running water and government services. Starting from scratch, the living -- including a desperate mom (Julie Graham) searching for her missing son and an escaped convict (Max Beesley) who lost his mother to the pandemic -- band together to start society anew in this BBC series.

And sadly another show that got the axe before it got a chance to find its following. BBC cancelled it because it dropped below 4 million viewers ... sigh. Granted this show only lasted 12 episodes, but it's the only one I can remember that every single episode kept me engaged from start to finish. Even some of my favorites (Lost, Dexter, BSG, etc.) can't live up to that. Great character development, wonderful acting and a fantastic storyline with plenty of potential. You can tell the writers were blindsided by the cancellation. A riveting cliffhanger ending! So disappointed this one isn't going to continue. I'll never understand why networks drop such quality, thought-provoking shows midstream. Why bother putting forth the investment if you don't plan to stay the course?
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Re: Survivors

Postby BillTheCat » Mon May 23, 2011 8:14 pm

Instant gratification. It's rare these days for a show to be allowed to find its audience over more than half a season or so. Firefly suffered the same treatment, coupled with the favor of having their air time changed at least once in just 11 episodes.

I may have to check this out. Thanks for the recommendation, Steve.
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby 2phun » Mon May 23, 2011 8:18 pm

We should start up a thread for "Quality shows that got the axe, but you should still check them out". Three that I think should definitely make the list are Survivors, Firefly, and Journeyman.
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby JBKone » Tue May 24, 2011 8:51 am

2phun wrote:We should start up a thread for "Quality shows that got the axe, but you should still check them out". Three that I think should definitely make the list are Survivors, Firefly, and Journeyman.

Pushing Daisies was done in by the writer's strike. It should have come back - GREAT show.
Arrested Development - hilarious!
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby BillTheCat » Tue May 24, 2011 9:06 pm

JBKone wrote:
2phun wrote:We should start up a thread for "Quality shows that got the axe, but you should still check them out". Three that I think should definitely make the list are Survivors, Firefly, and Journeyman.

Pushing Daisies was done in by the writer's strike. It should have come back - GREAT show.
Arrested Development - hilarious!

I sort of enjoyed Pushing Daisies, but I didn't truly get into it before the strike killed it. Arrested Development got more than its fair share of air time before they pulled the plug, didn't it?

Journeyman was freaking awesome! NBC robbed us with that one.
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby 2phun » Tue May 24, 2011 9:17 pm

I enjoyed Pushing Daisies as well, but wasn't riveted to it. Haven't seen all the episodes yet, as I kinda lost interest.

Started Jericho a while back, but haven't finished it yet either. Jericho has a cool concept, but there really aren't any characters that I'm rooting for. To me, that's the key to keeping my interest.
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby JBKone » Wed May 25, 2011 8:59 am

Pushing daisies didn't grab me at first when it was on the air - but then again I don't watch TV so sitting me down at the same time every week to watch commercial ridden TV isn't going to happen. Then I started streaming it on Netflix a couple of months ago - I couldn't get enough.
yes, Arr. Dev. did have 3 seasons, but I didn't find it until DVD and it's great.

Maybe they should start making series on DVD instead of putting them on Television.
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby 2phun » Wed May 25, 2011 7:57 pm

JBKone wrote:Maybe they should start making series on DVD instead of putting them on Television.

Not a bad idea. :) Like the straight-to-dvd movies.
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby BillTheCat » Wed May 25, 2011 9:37 pm

2phun wrote:
JBKone wrote:Maybe they should start making series on DVD instead of putting them on Television.

The Firefly faithful have been trying to convince the powers that be to revive Firefly as either a direct-to-DVD or Internet download series. Of course, with all of the primary actors being on other successful shows now, it'll never happen, but the idea seems to be gaining traction.

The question is- how many people would pay, say $1.99 per hour long episode for a TV series? Big gamble there for the financial backers of any such endeavor.
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby JBKone » Thu May 26, 2011 8:58 am

BillTheCat wrote:
2phun wrote:

The question is- how many people would pay, say $1.99 per hour long episode for a TV series? Big gamble there for the financial backers of any such endeavor.

Well, if you could sell 20 hour-long episodes for $30 in a DVD set, maybe. Of course the previews would have to be amazing and the acting good and story compelling, but that certainly happens quite often. Maybe they could run an hour or 2 hour "pilot" at a good time on TV and then make the DVDs. Of course, the network wouldn't get to sell commercials, but maybe there are other avenues for revenue. Oh! That rhymes! :-D
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Return to Movie, Music, TV, and Book Reviews