top gear USA

Recommend a good movie, CD, or book in this forum.

Moderators: BillTheCat, Sarah

top gear USA

Postby eaglebeagle » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:59 pm

premiers tonight at 10pm est. on Hystory channel.
(description from another forum) "Today's episode features a Cobra helicopter vs Dodge Viper SRT, a Lamborghini 180mph desert drag race and astronaut Buzz Aldrin on a racetrack"

This is either going to suck or rock... Not much inbetween room for US remakes of brit TV. I'm DVRing it, since i'll be on the road to parents place in coral springs when it airs.
I can imagine MINIs will show up there eventually, Hopefully not frankensteined into a 'series of challenges'.
-Harley
2012 Countryman S
2008 Cooper with the sunroof! -SOLD
eaglebeagle
What's Control??

Re: top gear USA

Postby BillTheCat » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:08 pm

Clips I have seen do not give me high hopes for this series. The hosts appeared to be a collection of idiots, a little too amused with themselves. They did not strike me as men who actually appreciate cars, so much as tools who desperately want to be funny, and if cars are involved, so be it.

Hoping the show is better than the previews.

I need to double check my Sunday night DVR schedule to see if I can fit this in. With Dexter, The Walking Dead, and a few others in there, I may have to try & record this at a later time. I'm sure it will repeat later at night or later in the week- History does a lot of that.
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby eaglebeagle » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:12 am

eh. just watched it, jury is still out on it, but there was a 'preview of the next 10 weeks' clip that metioned a MINI ... not sure what that'll be about.
-Harley
2012 Countryman S
2008 Cooper with the sunroof! -SOLD
eaglebeagle
What's Control??

Postby Chip » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:38 am

Think I'll stick with the original
Chip
Barely in Control

Postby bosfordjd » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:50 am

Show was ok, needs some work. But was better than TG UK season 1, which was not very good at all. Tanner Foust could stand to go, best driver of the 3 but also not a good presenter or speaker, nor very articulate. Rutledge just seems like he's gonna try to hard, but he might do ok in the long run, he was good in the last bit. Adam Ferrara I think will be the best of the three, even if he doesn't have automotive background, he's Italian, from Brooklyn, he's got the most potential to pull off the irrevent I don't give a F about being PC style that makes TG UK great. Big Star Small Car bit needs to be renamed, Aldrin was a solid first star choice, american hero and all, even if he is a terrible interview on every show he's on. Ferrara was able to pull a little out of him, more than most interviewers. Only doing a drag race with the lambos was kind of lame. Commercials in the middle of bits was lame, you can tell you get 40mins of show instead of a full hour. If they don't fall victim to being overly politically correct they'll be ok, but the utter lack of insensitivity and insulting comments needs to change. Honest feedback on the cars and honest and entertaining social commentary are the lynch pins of TG UK.
2006 CR/B MCS, LSD, M7 STB, M7 16% Pulley, M7 CAI, M7 Aero Grill, Stealth Alta Sportone, Blacked Beltline, Red Schroth Harnesses, 17" Black OZ Ultraleggeras.
bosfordjd
Barely in Control

Postby BillTheCat » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:51 am

Hard to truly pass judgment after just 1 episode. Seems like Tanner is the only real driver among the 3. Rutledge seems to try a bit to hard to be funny. Adam is a comic I am familiar with, and while he is generally amusing, I am hoping he'll have something useful to bring to the show besides yuks.

First episode was better than I expected, but I'm not convinced yet. I've set up a season pass on my TiVo, and I'll give it at least 4-6 episodes before I decide whether this is a long term deal for me.

I noticed the bit about the MINI, and I think the quote was "... and for men with overcontrolling wives, there's the 2005 MINI Cooper S" as he was pointing to, well, a carbon copy of Milo- 2005 MCS, EB/W. Wondering how that'll all pan out.

I hope they get around to reviewing/testing/challenging some more realistic cars as well. I love the supercar segments, but it's also nice to see something attainable once in a while. I'm figuring they loaded up on supercars in the first episode in order to get the lap time board started.
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby JBKone » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:36 pm

BillTheCat wrote: I'm figuring they loaded up on supercars in the first episode in order to get the lap time board started.

Who are we kidding: you know if I were on the show and there was a chance it may not last... you bet I'd be lobbying for every supercar I could find early on! Gotta get em all in!

I saw a segment (teaching blind guy to drift) and that larger guy with the flannel shirt has got to go. I'm cooler than he is and I'm a geek! :lol: And at least they could try to fake a British accent for us, eh? :P
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby Rabidfox » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:03 pm

Bootleg episode was epic
Rabidfox
What's Control??

Postby Chip » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:55 am

Watching the Caddy jump was cool, but I was hoping it would take more than 3 episodes before NASCRAP was mentioned :roll:
Chip
Barely in Control

Postby Rabidfox » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:01 am

I'm pissed it took 3 episodes to start prius bashing
Rabidfox
What's Control??

Return to Movie, Music, TV, and Book Reviews