Dexter

Recommend a good movie, CD, or book in this forum.

Moderators: BillTheCat, Sarah

Dexter

Postby 2phun » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:28 pm

Just watched the first season of this show based on the recommendation of a few friends. Pretty cool show, although I had picked each twist at least two or three episodes before they happened. Anyone else watch this show? Is the second season worth renting?
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby Coop Jon » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:53 am

Dexter was awesome!! First season is the best.

Second season was good, but every show seemed like it wanted to leave me hanging on the edge..do they catch, do they know?? it got tiring..so i finally stopped caring and hoped they would figure it out...but it was good over all... worth the rent..especially since you can watch as fast as you want..not have to wait for next week.
Coop Jon
What's Control??

Postby MUNGO » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:50 pm

Dexter is awesome! Watch it! :D
Check out my website... MungoInc.com
MUNGO
MINI Stalker

Postby Alpha-6 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:07 pm

Long time, fan. Dexter is twisted BUT if you really want to go deep into the Dexter series :twisted: - READ the books. I have read each book in less than a few days....they are THAT good- Phenomenal!!! SOoooooo much better than the show and I'm a FAN of the shows.
Alpha-6
Postmaster General

Postby 2phun » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:20 pm

Books? What are those?

Might have to pick them up at the library.
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Re: Dexter

Postby 2phun » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:55 am

Okay, I'll admit it. I've become a huge Dexter fan. I don't have Showtime, so each season I wait anxiously for the DVDs to be released on Netflix. Truly enjoyed seasons 2 and 3. While waiting for season 4, I was reading some of the reviews on Netflix and was a bit nervous. More than a few people complained that the series had lost it's edge and was more like a soap opera, and those were ranking the series with 1 or 2 stars. Others were hailing it as the best season yet, with a full 5 stars. Not many reviews in the middle.

So now I've had a chance to watch season 4 in its entirety and all I can say is "whoa". John Lithgow had a chilling introduction to the show as the main antagonist, and he truly was amazing in his role. I'm not typically a Lithgow fan, but I was thoroughly impressed with his performance. He wasn't John Lithgow playing a killer; he was the Trinity Killer.

And of course Michael C. Hall was brilliant with his outstanding performance as he struggled to balance his "normal" life with his desire to appease his dark passenger. Other than Anthony Hopkins in "Silence of the Lambs", I've never seen an actor make such a monster so likable. And rarely is an actor able to pull off the internal struggles and tormenting the way that Mr. Hall does. Spectacular performances, episode after episode.

I'll admit, I was a bit turned off by some of the side storylines midway through the season. They didn't really seem to be adding anything to the overall story. Rita was especially annoying, causing me to groan out loud numerous times. More than once I was concerned that Netflix had sent me a "Desperate Housewives" disc instead. I'm pretty convinced that the negative reviews that I read were a result of people putting in reviews during these episodes before they got to the end of the season, because my tone completely changed as I viewed the last two or three episodes. So much tension on so many levels! Phenomenal twists. And the conclusion of the season absolutely stole my breath from me. I sat staring at the screen for many minutes after the credits finished, completely numb and in awe.

I posted this Season 5 trailer on my facebook account a while back, but refused to actually watch it until today. And I'm glad I waited! It would have spoiled so much in season 4. Season 5 looks to be by far the darkest and most tormented Dexter we've seen yet! I wouldn't be surprised if this was the final season. I don't think I could handle much more, and I don't see how Dexter could either.

Do not watch this trailer if you haven't finished season 4!
[youtube]CUbCMbW-BRE[/youtube]
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby BillTheCat » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:08 am

I just finished Season 4 of Dexter a few days ago, myself. Easy to see why both Lithgow and Hall won Golden Globes. Lithgow is one of my all-time favorite actors anyhow, so I was already biased to like the 4th season. When the finale was winding down, I was wondering if Trinity was going to make his escape, possibly setting up further confrontation, perhaps another season or 2 down the road. After he got the "Dexter treatment," I was so disarmed & basically satisfied that I never saw the twist at the end coming. Caught me completely off guard.

Like you, Steve, I do not subscribe to the pay channels, so I will have to wait for Season 5 to come out on DVD next year.

I will say that there are certain elements of the show that have gotten repetitive, most notably Deb's love life. I'd also love to see Matsuka a bit more involved in the primary storylines, as his character is one of the most interesting/funny. Either way, even with a few minor disappointments, still one of the better shows out there. Very much worth watching.
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Dexter

Postby 09redjcw » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:10 am

Dexter is my all time favorite show and being at college I have to stream the episodes if they still work you all can try googling dexter tv duck and click the first link scroll down and should see the different seasons click to open click on an episode that has a green rating and enjoy. It may take a try or two to get it.
09redjcw
Still has full Control

Postby JBKone » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:36 pm

DaisySibyl wrote:It is a great TV series, one of the best I have seen in the past time. Boardwalk empire is great as well.

Did you sign up just to critique movies? You've got 5 posts and all 5 are in the Movie and TV reviews section. :lol: Get out there! See the world! (or SSM) Make some posts and spelling errors! Comment on a car! Introduce yourself! And for god's sake, post a pic of your car somewhere! We love us some pictures.

this was all in fun :mrgreen:
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby BillTheCat » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:36 pm

JBKone wrote:
DaisySibyl wrote:It is a great TV series, one of the best I have seen in the past time. Boardwalk empire is great as well.

Did you sign up just to critique movies? You've got 5 posts and all 5 are in the Movie and TV reviews section. :lol: Get out there! See the world! (or SSM) Make some posts and spelling errors! Comment on a car! Introduce yourself! And for god's sake, post a pic of your car somewhere! We love us some pictures.

this was all in fun :mrgreen:

I noticed this as well. And I also noticed the sig link to a supposed wedding invitations site. 5 instant fluff posts + nothing but a link to sell crap in the signature = instaban via intolerant Cat.
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby JBKone » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:30 pm

BillTheCat wrote:
JBKone wrote:

Did you sign up just to critique movies? You've got 5 posts and all 5 are in the Movie and TV reviews section. :lol: ...

I noticed this as well. And I also noticed the sig link to a supposed wedding invitations site. 5 instant fluff posts + nothing but a link to sell crap in the signature = instaban via intolerant Cat.

I didn't even notice the sig line. Boy, you are intolerant!
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby BillTheCat » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:52 pm

JBKone wrote:
BillTheCat wrote:I noticed this as well. And I also noticed the sig link to a supposed wedding invitations site. 5 instant fluff posts + nothing but a link to sell crap in the signature = instaban via intolerant Cat.

I didn't even notice the sig line. Boy, you are intolerant!

You may call me "The Hammer."
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Return to Movie, Music, TV, and Book Reviews