(The new) Battlestar Galactica... forget what you know!!

Recommend a good movie, CD, or book in this forum.

Moderators: BillTheCat, Sarah

(The new) Battlestar Galactica... forget what you know!!

Postby Cruzin Chris » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:27 am

The best show on TV!!!

I know most people are turned off by any type of “spaceship” show, but this one has very little to do with the original series from the late 70s. About the only parts similar are the premise and some names. The creators of the new show call it “re-imagined”. That works for me.

First off, this show won a Peabody Award. The Peabody Awards are generally regarded as the most prestigious awards honoring distinction and achievement within the fields of educational programming and entertainment. Not an easy task for a show with a “spaceship”.

My wife doesn’t like Star Trek and just tolerates Star Wars (both of which I love), but I made her a bet... if she could just sit through the first 15 mins of the first episode (mini series) and say she didn’t like it - I would turn it off and never ask here to watch it again. Well, at 15 mins she was into it and ended up watching the whole thing (3 hours). I did the same bet with my parents, and a friend. They now are talking BSG (that’s BattleStar Galactica) with me all the time now.

The hardest part of watching the show is it is a true series... meaning the shows are linked together in a row like a, for lack of a beter word, soap opera. Unlike Star Trek where you have the basic premiss and characters, and the shows are self-contained, BSG episoded are linked in a row, just like the show 24.

Now is there anyone else out there loving this show?!?! Let’s talk!
Cruzin Chris
Let's face it, you've lost it

Postby BillTheCat » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:00 am

I've been carrying this torch since the miniseries originally aired. TV Guide named BSG the best drama on TV during Season 1. And several respected entertainment outlets continue to name it among TV's best shows.

I have also convinced several sci-fi-phobes to watch just one episode & see if they don't get into it. The beauty of this show is that the spaceships & cyborgs are not the centerpiece- they are merely part of an extremely well written & performed story line.

One of the things that continues to attract me to the show is that it's about human nature. They don't get philosophical for one "very special episode" twice a season & then resort to love triangles & such. There are lots of relationships, there is some sexual tension, but again, not the center of the storylines. The entire series is about faith, hope, trust, betrayal, revenge, redemption.

When the miniseries launched, I had low expectations, since Sci-Fi network was producing it. The presence of Edward James Olmos as Adama (the military leader & arguable overall central figure of the series) was the only thing that impressed me in the teaser ads.

But Sci-Fi has gone above & beyond. The show has a very organic feel, not relying heavily on specal effects, and rendering them with a high level of quality when they use them. Most of all, they put together a great ensemble cast of mostly little-known actors, and the writing has continually blown me away.

"Lost" was my favorite TV show, and still ranks right up there (I am a more patient person than many who complained about the long strings of re-runs), but BSG is my one "Must See" show every week now.

The problem with introducing folks to BSG at this point is exactly as you mention--- it is a serialized show. The only proper way to do it is to sit down & watch the miniseries that preceded the show, and then start playing catch-up on the DVD's in the hope of one day being current with the series.
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby Cruzin Chris » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:31 am

"So say we all"!!

Good to see I'm not alone. The one thing that blew me away (spoiler alert)... was Colonel Tigh killing his own wife. WOW! Could you kill your own wife if she betrayed your cause and the people working for you in a time of war? I actually got a tear in my eye during that scene. I could end some bad people’s lives for sure (like they did), but my own wife.... no way. Boy, they brought his character forward in a big way. Just wondering when they are going to give him an official eye patch for the rest of the show!?!?

One of my first impressions of the show was they had a bunch of “old farts” in the lead roles with Adama Sr. and President Roslyn, but they have leaped beyond the age factor for those in charge to really make a great show. I can’t see anyone else in those roles now.

I know little of the old show as I was about 10 years old when I watched it on TV before VCRs, but I do remember Baltar as being the leader of the Cylons. Looks like he will now take on that role in the 3rd season of the new show.
Cruzin Chris

Postby Cruzin Chris » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:47 am

Oh yeah, one other great bit, is the one God vs. Multi-God theme of the show. I know that has some kind of name like monotheism vs. multigod-theism, or whatever. But, it really blows me away that the “bad guys” (Cylons) believe in one God. Creeps me out every time a Colonial says “Thank the Gods”. Makes one wonder if they are going to get to Earth during in the B.C. time period or what?!?!
Cruzin Chris

Postby BillTheCat » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:56 pm

I was blown away when Tigh poisoned his wife as well. But as we've seen since, that may have been the straw breaking that camel's back, throwing him into the deep fit of depression & paranoia he seems to be stuck in.

I darn near expected him to either drink himself to death, or put a gun in his mouth after telling Adama that he wouldn't be seeing him again. (It was refreshing to see Starbuck "renew" herself and show some signs of humanity after Adama's warnings to the two of them- I have a feeling we're going to see Starbuck & Tigh proceed in opposite directions for now)

I'm a couple of years younger than you, and have even more vague recollections of the original TV show. Did not know Baltar was the name of the Cylon leader. Interesting connection. And Gaius' confusion over not only his loyalties, but whether or not he may be Cylon... no wonder the guy's constantly teetering on the brink of complete insanity.

As for the mono- vs. multitheism... there are countless ways they could proceed with that, and with the timing of their arrival on Earth. I mean, did the 13th colony ever reach Earth? If so, are they still alive on Earth, or will the BSG coalition find only ancient ruins if/when they get there? And with the Cylons heading for Earth as well, who's to say this series will end with HUMANS populating the Earth. They could even insinuate that we are all Cylon desdcendants, or hybrids. It'll be interesting to see how they decide to wrap that up, and how many seasons they run before they just have to conclude with finding Earth. I'm guessing they will not continue the series (at least not right away) to follow their progress in building a civilization on Earth- that would be a new series, I think.
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby MINIMAD » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:35 pm

ya know, if you guys owned a classic mini you wouldn't have time for TV..... :P

:lol:

btw, sounds like a good series....
MINIMAD
Cigar City Capo

Postby Cruzin Chris » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:31 am

MINIMAD wrote:ya know, if you guys owned a classic mini you wouldn't have time for TV..... :P

:lol:

I own 5 cars... there is always plenty of time for TV when you have TiVo! :lol:
Cruzin Chris

Postby BillTheCat » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:55 am

TiVo rules.
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby Cruzin Chris » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:36 pm

I don’t think we will ever see Earth as part of this series. Maybe some 7th season series ender.... I can only hope. The original BSG did the whole earth thing (Galactica ’80) which flopped big time. I have just now watched those on Sci-Fi channel.

Did you know they are now moving forward with a spin-off show called “Caprica”? It will take place 50 years before the invasion and chronicle the Adama family & cohorts on the planet. I just read on some online deal they have some scripts ready. Not too sure I would get into that. Sounds too much like the Star Trek: Next Generation popularity hand-off to Deep Space Nine. DS9 never really captured my attention.

Hey, did you know:

- Tom Zarek the terrorist/politician is actor Richard Hatch - Apollo on BSG: The Original Series (TOS)
- Athena the baby was an adult female on BSG:TOS
- The Pegasus Battlestar was also on TOS, but destroy after two episodes
- Boxey was in the mini-series (male kid). Didn’t come back for the 1st season.
Cruzin Chris

Postby 2phun » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:47 pm

The only really important question...do they still have Twiggy the robot or whatever his name was?

You guys make me want to go rent the first season.
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby MINIMAD » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:19 pm

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:31 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MINIMAD wrote:
ya know, if you guys owned a classic mini you wouldn't have time for TV.....

I own 5 cars... there is always plenty of time for TV when you have TiVo!

Ah, but not one classic Mini. :wink:
MINIMAD
Cigar City Capo

Postby al darko » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:25 pm

2phun wrote:The only really important question...do they still have Twiggy the robot or whatever his name was?

That was Buck Rogers in the 21st century...
Twiggy was the small golden robot with the small robot hanging around his neck....(Dr Theopolis)....I don't know why I remember that.. :lol:
The robot was the dog or Dagget as it was called on the original BSG...
Boxey's real dog got killed during the Cylon invasion.
BTW Athena was hot in the original show...LOL
I caught a small piece of the show....I think it great!!!!
Image Image"The Cooper S purred away a real horrowshow. A nice warm vibraty feeling all through your guttiwuts."
al darko
Postmaster General

Postby BillTheCat » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:26 pm

2phun wrote:The only really important question...do they still have Twiggy the robot or whatever his name was?

Wrong series, Steve. You want another Glen A. Larson production, "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century." Starring Gil Gerard and the beautiful Erin Gray. Oh, the robot was named "Twiki," and carried Dr. Theophilis around with him. Mel Blanc, of Looney Tunes fame, voiced Twiki.

:offtopic: WHY DO I REMEMBER THIS CRAP?!?!?!

If you decide to catch the new BSG, be sure to start with the miniseries, THEN Season 1. The miniseries sets the whole thing up, with LOTS of detailed background info.

Bill
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby al darko » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:39 pm

BillTheCat wrote:

Wrong series, Steve. You want another Glen A. Larson production, "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century." Starring Gil Gerard and the beautiful Erin Gray. Oh, the robot was named "Twiki," and carried Dr. Theophilis around with him. Mel Blanc, of Looney Tunes fame, voiced Twiki.

:offtopic: WHY DO I REMEMBER THIS CRAP?!?!?!

If you decide to catch the new BSG, be sure to start with the miniseries, THEN Season 1. The miniseries sets the whole thing up, with LOTS of detailed background info.

Bill

Bill see above post....we are kindred spirits...LOL....
Truly we are encyclopedias of Useless knowledge... :lol:
We must mind meld and combine our powers... :P
Image Image"The Cooper S purred away a real horrowshow. A nice warm vibraty feeling all through your guttiwuts."
al darko
Postmaster General

Postby BillTheCat » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:46 pm

al darko wrote:Bill see above post....we are kindred spirits...LOL....
Truly we are encyclopedias of Useless knowledge... :lol:
We must mind meld and combine our powers... :P

Ahhhhh, if only we could trust ourselves to use those powers for good... :lol:
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby Cruzin Chris » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:34 pm

MINIMAD wrote:
Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:31 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MINIMAD wrote:
ya know, if you guys owned a classic mini you wouldn't have time for TV.....

I own 5 cars... there is always plenty of time for TV when you have TiVo!

Ah, but not one classic Mini. :wink:

Oh, I have a classic alright - just not a mini, but I get enough time on the ground with my VW too.... :lol:

Cruzin Chris

Postby MINIMAD » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:03 pm

Aw, come on now....that classic Teutonic engineered van was designed to be simple and trouble free. What did it use to take me....20 minutes to pull the motor? And reliable Bosch electrics. Hah! Not even near the challenge of a venerable A series and Lucas (Prince of Random, Unexpected Darkness). I scoff at your feeble attempt at comparison. BTW, your tool kit is what I carry to go to the gas station. :P

:wink: :lol:
MINIMAD
Cigar City Capo

Postby twitchy_red_mini » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:27 pm

My friend is in love with the show and from what i've seen it's very good. I would probably watch it more if I didn't work so much.... but I'm never home when it's on and i'm too cheap to buy the DVD..... One when I'm not so broke i'll catch up....
I'm so far behind I think I'm first......
MCS06 CR/B "Twitchy"++++ d=#!drt!db++ 1+ W++F! cT++cMScV++ CR++++CP- pS++pY++ SSMm+SSMo-SSMe+ PkPtPTPI?Pi?PC+++Pm---PM?Ps---!#PW-PV+
twitchy_red_mini

Postby 2phun » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:14 pm

Okay, so who has season 1 that I can borrow? Just watched the Miniseries, but don't have the $$ to get season 1 yet. The Blockbusters near me don't have ANY of the series. Somebody, heeeelp!
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby BillTheCat » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:07 pm

Hrmmm... I have "Lost" on DVD, but I don't yet have BSG. I need to rectify that...
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Next

Return to Movie, Music, TV, and Book Reviews