Old Route 66

Got an idea for an event? Post it here and we'll all promise to show up.

Moderator: James

Old Route 66

Postby Fuzzy » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:12 am

I have been kicking around the idea of doing the Old Historic Route 66 run from Chicago Illinois to Santa Monica California; the point A to point B drive is just over 2400 miles and goes through 7 states, 8 if you count the 13 miles in Kansas. If a willing local mini club in each of the 7 states, 8 if….. can be found an event could be sponsored and scheduled by that club making the drive about 7 days. Of course going the whole 2400 miles would be the ultimate drive, but by breaking it into 7separate state events a person could do any number of events, just 1 or all 7.

There are many websites you can visit on the Old Historic Route 66 that you visit and get an idea of what I would like to do. Historic Route 66 is just one http://www.historic66.com and a good place to start. Please go visit and let me know what you think.

Just think of all the other mini owners you would meet and sights you would see. I think it would take about 2 years to plan, or at least 2 years for me to save the necessary money and vacation time to do the drive.
Fuzzy
Relative Newbie

Postby Sarah » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:37 pm

interesting idea.

I could get into that, with the two years notice :wink:

Too, I love all the ghost stories along the way...
Sarah
SSM Movie Diva

Postby James » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:53 pm

What's the total distance from Florida to Point A, Point A to B, and Point B back to Florida?

James
James
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Fuzzy » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:25 pm

Well James, let’s see if I can answer your question about mileage. If I remember correctly you live in Orlando. So let’s figure…my map program shows that it is

1168 miles from Orlando to Chicago,
2400 miles on Old Route 66
and 2518 miles form Los Angeles home
6086 Total Mileage

The 2400 miles on Old Route 66 is dependent on how often you get lost, but its close. Only you know how long it will take to drive from home to Chicago and from Los Angeles home again, but I think the actual drive will be between 9 and 12 days. Remember, (as much for everyone else as you) you don’t have to drive the whole route. If all goes well you well be able to join us when you wish and leave when you must, we only hope you will be able to make the whole run.

Just think about all the places you will see and…..check out http://www.magma.ca/~alderton/route66/index.htm
Fuzzy
Relative Newbie

Postby bobbiemartin » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:59 am

I have been planning this exact trip, but my plans were for 2009. Yes its a long ways off, but as you said it will take time to plan, etc. 2009 is the 60th anniversary of the Mini, but I could probably do 2008 if that is how it works out. Running Route 66 would be a lot of fun in a Mini caravan. I'm figuring about 3 weeks for the entire trip. Roughly 2 days to get to Chicago, 14 days for Route 66 and 5 days back to Florida. My times might be a little longer because I would be driving a classic Mini!

I think we could get a lot of interest nationwide. Count me in!
Bobbie Martin
1975 Mini Pickup restoration project
bobbiemartin
What's Control??

Postby ltlr-n-u » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:23 pm

i have actually thought of doing the trip as well but wasnt leaving from chicago...but im definitely interested :) think that would be very cool 8)
-Lorine
Image Wednesday 08 Clubman S
Well behaved women rarely make history...
ltlr-n-u
Postmaster General

Postby BillTheCat » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:14 pm

With that kind of advanced notice, I think this could be one of those once-in-a-lifetime trips I just couldn't pass up.

Norm... as far as planning... are you going to plan out individual stops/hotel stays, etc., which roadside attractions to hit?

Any particular time of year you are eyeing for such a momentous voyage?

Bill
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby fozzy » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:23 pm

BillTheCat wrote:With that kind of advanced notice, I think this could be one of those once-in-a-lifetime trips I just couldn't pass up.

Norm... as far as planning... are you going to plan out individual stops/hotel stays, etc., which roadside attractions to hit?

Any particular time of year you are eyeing for such a momentous voyage?

Bill

It's not me Bill. His screen name is fuzzy. Unfortunately we are no longer the little tiny... tiny car club we were because as you can see we now have a couple of James' a fozzy, a fuzzy, a big and a little Norm probably a couple of Bills and it's only getting bigger.

I am interested however, in doing the route 66 thing going West someday. It's something I've always wanted to do.
"Pele" (aka "The Batmobile")( aka the "Fighter jet MINI") Gone but never forgotten...
"Dingo" gone but still in the SSM family.
fozzy
SSM Fighter Pimp

Postby twitchy_red_mini » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:04 pm

This is kinda like MTTS but backwards.... either way I want to drive on US1 in monterey CA (I hear its beautiful =P~ ) Maybe this will be my backup incase I can't make it on MTTS.... :shock: 8) :lol:
I'm so far behind I think I'm first......
MCS06 CR/B "Twitchy"++++ d=#!drt!db++ 1+ W++F! cT++cMScV++ CR++++CP- pS++pY++ SSMm+SSMo-SSMe+ PkPtPTPI?Pi?PC+++Pm---PM?Ps---!#PW-PV+
twitchy_red_mini
Let's face it, you've lost it

Postby 2phun » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:11 pm

twitchy_red_mini wrote:This is kinda like MTTS but backwards.... either way I want to drive on US1 in monterey CA (I hear its beautiful =P~ ) Maybe this will be my backup incase I can't make it on MTTS.... :shock: 8) :lol:

After just having driven it, I'd have to say beautiful is an understatement. We are already looking down the years at another trip west. We would likely love to join in this, at least part of the way. Sequoia/Yosemite is calling our names already!
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby Minnie S » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:33 pm

We've been kicking around the idea as well, but thought if it was just us (the Limey Bastard and myself) we might only do half. Can't decide which half though. There is the National Route 66 Festival in Clinton, OK June 21st-24th http://www.route66festival2007.com/ that might be fun to partake in. It would definitely be a blast with this group though and meeting other Mini clubs along the way is a great idea.

Then we have the problem of deciding which car(s) to take. I'll keep checking in to see how this develops.

Minnie S
What's Control?
http://www.minisofmiami.com

2013 MINI ClubVan "Preston"
Minnie S
Out of Control

Postby Minnie S » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:36 pm

If you sort the trip out by dates and locations you might be able to get participants that don't have the time or desire to drive the entire distance to meet up for at least part of the trek.

Minnie S
What's Control?

Minnie S
Out of Control

Postby Minibeast » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:00 pm

Could stand to get some dealerships involved too. That far a trip is going to require several oil changes for those of us that change it more often than spec! LOL
Maybe MINI USA could help out?
Mark
A Bloody Station Wagon and an '89 BMW 325 with M3 Motor.
Minibeast
Let's face it, you've lost it

Postby Minnie S » Sat May 12, 2007 2:29 pm

We're a definite and heading that way after MME2007. Going to leave Tenn. and drive west until we get there. Only have two weeks so we'll drive as far as we can before having to head back. Sure would be fun if more could join in!

Minnie S
What's Control?

Minnie S
Out of Control

Return to Ideas for Future Events