Turning on Rear Fog Lights R56 MINI Hardtop S

If you just have to mess with a good thing, do it the right way.

Moderators: MUNGO, TReed

Turning on Rear Fog Lights R56 MINI Hardtop S

Postby OhMrBob » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:58 pm

Has any one that drives a 2013 MINI cooper Hardtop S had their Rear Fog lights turned on by the dealer?

I have installed the switch and the new face plate... Now I need the computer reprogrammed but no one seems to know how to do that. I spent about 4 hours at the Jacksonville MINI dealer and they have no idea how to do it.

Anyone have a success story to share or know of a dealer in north/central Florida that know how too?
OhMrBob
Rookie

Re: Turning on Rear Fog Lights R56 MINI Hardtop S

Postby BillTheCat » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:45 pm

Frankly shocked that Tom Bush could not figure out how to enable the rear fogs. It is a common add-on. Any dealer, any tech should be able to do it. I'd ask them to try again, maybe with a different tech,

other wise, if you're willing to travel (or compare travel notes to see when you might cross paths), Ian from Miami (user name "limey") had the cable & software, and I *think* he can activate rear fogs. You may want to look him up & send him a private message.
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby OhMrBob » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:42 am

Thanks for the insight... The dealer is looking into it and I should know more on Friday... Just seemed like a long wait for something "simple".
OhMrBob
Rookie

Postby JBKone » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:07 am

Don't they have a retrofit kit that would have instructions in it?
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby MINIBee » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:32 am

OhMrBob wrote:Has any one that drives a 2013 MINI cooper Hardtop S had their Rear Fog lights turned on by the dealer?

I have installed the switch and the new face plate... Now I need the computer reprogrammed but no one seems to know how to do that. I spent about 4 hours at the Jacksonville MINI dealer and they have no idea how to do it.

Anyone have a success story to share or know of a dealer in north/central Florida that know how too?

This has been done by many people. I know for a fact that Way from Way Motor Works does this all the time for people. Is this Bob from Gainesville? The people at Tom Bush called me and asked about this, saying that I had told you it could be done. Sorry they didn't know how, but I know it can be done.
Motoring Advisor at Ferman MINI of Tampa Bay - The Journey is the Reward
MINIBee
Checkered past, Checkered MINI

Postby Healey67 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:16 pm

I recently added this to an R56 here at our dealer.. You can't just code the car to make it work. You need a new VO (Vehicle Order). We used to be able to get these without any issue however things have changed... They are not allowed to send us a new VO to retrofit the rear fog lamps anymore. So unfortunately the dealer CANT do it anymore. You would have to find an aftermarket shop that could recode it for you. (it sucks I know)
Healey67
What's Control??

Postby OhMrBob » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:08 am

Thank you for all of the insight. Any recommendations for shops that can reprogram the computer of the deal can't?
OhMrBob
Rookie

How I Activated The Rear Fog Lights On My MINI

Postby BudH » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:41 am

Yes you do need a "VO" number that includes the optional rear fog lights accessory and MINI (I should say BMW) is no longer giving out "VO" numbers anymore for this. They once did this in the past. Also no private independent foreign/domestic auto repair shop can hook them up either as they too need a VO number.

I have a 2014 MC Roadster S and it too came pre-wired with the rear fog lights. I read all the current Internet stuff posted on many sites and much of it is misleading or out-dated information.

The only way I was able to active my rear fog lights was to DO IT myself!

I severed the wiring to each rear fog light under the rear bumper. I used a soldering iron and connected an 18g wire up to both rear fog lights through the trunk under the carpet and up behind the bottom dash to a small toggle switch. It wasn't too hard to figure out which wire went to the rear fog light and which to the "back-up light." I had to remove part of some Styrofoam insulation behind the dash to install the toggle switch. Then I ran the wire under the dash over to an accessory power source at the fuse box that has power only when the ignition is on.

After doing all that you have to take the "old" hot wires that would have supplied power to the rear fog lights and tie them in together and run them to a ground. If you don't do this the MINI computer will think the the rear fog light bulbs have blown out and a warning will go off on the dash each time you start the car and then an orange triangle will stay lite the rest of the time. I ran the ground to the heat shield on top of the muffler just by drilling a small whole in it and putting in a small screw with nut to hold the wire in place. No sweat.
BudH
Rookie

Return to New MINI Modifications