CAI & reduced pulley: DDM & WMW?

Get help to make your MINI more go-kartier.

Moderator: TReed

CAI & reduced pulley: DDM & WMW?

Postby fridayxiii » Fri May 11, 2012 10:40 am

I think I'm finally in a position to buy some go-fast parts for Ruffian, first up on the list are a cold air intake & reduced pulley. When I did my research ~12 months ago, the DDM Works intake and pulley kit from Way Motor Works came highly recommended.

I've done some refresher reading and haven't caught wind of anything newer and/or better out there for my R53, but wanted to check with the group before starting to spend. Any input on my choices?

Can't wait to actually get the parts & have Ralph put them on, that's gonna be a good day :mrgreen:
I have an unhealthy attachment to my MINI.
fridayxiii
Still has full Control

Re: CAI & reduced pulley: DDM & WMW?

Postby Alice Cooper » Fri May 11, 2012 8:23 pm

The Way pulley kit is a big yes, Ralph doing your work is another big yes, as for the CAI there are a lot of good choices and DDM is definitely one of the top. ;)b
Alice Cooper
Out of Control

Postby fridayxiii » Sat May 12, 2012 12:38 pm

Thanks for reaffirming my choices. Now I just have to decide stainless steel vs. black for the CAI, and if I get the rear sway bar now or wait a bit. Nice dilemmas to have :wink:
fridayxiii
Still has full Control

Postby Chad » Sat May 12, 2012 3:31 pm

The DDM Works CAI is one of the best. As far as the pulley goes, don't go any higher than a 17% reduction, anything more like a 19% will create too much heat and reduce the effiantcy and reduce the longevity of your supercharger. You will be very happy with these mods and will notice a good improvement in your butt Dyno! :)

Who is doing your labor? Maitland imports is the best! They are very fair and extremely knowledgable with our MINI's. You won't find a better mechanic than Phil @ Mailand Imports.
Chad
Let's face it, you've lost it

Postby fridayxiii » Mon May 14, 2012 7:14 am

Chad wrote:The DDM Works CAI is one of the best. As far as the pulley goes, don't go any higher than a 17% reduction, anything more like a 19% will create too much heat and reduce the effiantcy and reduce the longevity of your supercharger. You will be very happy with these mods and will notice a good improvement in your butt Dyno! :)

Who is doing your labor? Maitland imports is the best! They are very fair and extremely knowledgable with our MINI's. You won't find a better mechanic than Phil @ Mailand Imports.

Appreciate another endorsement for the DDM Works CAI, seems like that's the way to go. I think Imma go with a 15% pulley; I don't venture to the redline much but hear the 15% gives a nice performance boost w/o causing extra wear on the SC like you mentioned.

I live a few minutes from D'Elegance Auto/MINIWerks, so I'll take my car to Ralph for the installation.

Once I get some s#1t at work sorted I'll be placing my order & making an appointment w/Ralph to get faster \:D/
fridayxiii
Still has full Control

Postby fridayxiii » Tue May 15, 2012 1:02 pm

Well, it took all of one day & my order has been placed. :mrgreen:

On it's way are the DDM Works CAI, 15% pulley kit, and an H-Sport 19mm rear sway bar just for good measure.

As excited as I am to get the goodies & have Ralph get 'em on, I'm even more stoked for the first drive. :motoring:
fridayxiii
Still has full Control

Postby Chad » Tue May 15, 2012 1:26 pm

It's going to feel like a new and improved MINI! You're going to love it!!! :)
Chad
Let's face it, you've lost it

Postby Bond06 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:41 pm

What RPM range did you notice the most Increase with the new pulley? It appears to be 3k-7k from what I noticed. Nothing on take off really.
Bond06
Relative Newbie

Postby BigSteveRealtor » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:41 pm

I installed the Madness Motorworks CAI. Looked like the best to me. Shopping for a bunch of other items. One of them being a pulley. Im torn between the Madness or the M7 setup. While on that you all with pulleies already what plugs do you run? I believe that you need to only go one heat range colder than stock. I prefer NGK does anyone know the part number?
Others can only wish they bought a Mini

BigSteveRealtor
Out of Control

Postby Bond06 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:17 am

Spark Plug NGK BKR7EQUP i believe.
Bond06
Relative Newbie

Postby fridayxiii » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:00 pm

Bond06 wrote:What RPM range did you notice the most Increase with the new pulley? It appears to be 3k-7k from what I noticed. Nothing on take off really.

Yep, 3K is where I notice it pull harder, where the gain starts. 4K is where a blip of the loud pedal launches me forward.

From what others say a 17% has a lot more grunt down low.
Last edited by fridayxiii on Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fridayxiii
Still has full Control

Postby fridayxiii » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:21 pm

Good question on the part # for the NGKs. One step colder: yessir. On NAM I saw BKR7EIX, Bond had a different #. Maybe call Advance Auto or AutoZone to confirm?
fridayxiii
Still has full Control

Postby Bond06 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:04 pm

Good to hear a comparison thank you.
Bond06
Relative Newbie

Postby fridayxiii » Tue May 14, 2013 9:18 am

Update: I swapped the 15% S/C pulley for 17%, and bloody hell I wish I would've gone with a 17% last year, to begin with. It feels like things kick in 1000 RPM sooner, i.e., I feel the pull start at 2K and it really works at 3K.

Note: I also had a catback exhaust installed (Invidia N1) so the freer-flowing pipes might have something to do with it too.
fridayxiii
Still has full Control

Postby maitland » Wed May 15, 2013 4:17 pm

Probably to late, but as far as the install goes on the pulley's the Alta's are what we like here. Probably the only thing we like from Alta.
Ian
2009 NASA TTC National Champion
03 Cooper S > RMW Topmount Rotrex Supercharger Kit 350whp, Vipec ECU, RMW Crankshaft, Group 4 Aero, OSGiken LSD Clutch/Flywheel, RWM Header/RACE cam/Cylinder Head, AST coilovers.
http://www.maitlandimports.com
maitland
Out of Control

Return to New MINI Performance