Tire recommendations

Get help to make your MINI more go-kartier.

Moderator: TReed

Tire recommendations

Postby Snooter » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:28 pm

Here is a link to several threads about what tires other group members have and how we like them:

July 18, 2008

June 12, 2008

April 28, 2008

January 28, 2008

May 14, 2007

May 4, 2009

March 26, 2007

February 26, 2007

January 9th, 2007
Not all who wander are lost

Snooter
Barry Patascher

Postby pichufo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:04 pm

nice post barry 8)
Image Image
pichufo
Let's face it, you've lost it

Postby Caveman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:33 pm

about frakin time, im tired of readin tire recommendations. ;)b
2003 Electric Blue MCS
"I shall have fish n' chips."
Caveman
SSM Sith Lord

Postby Snooter » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:43 am

you can thank Minilisa for the idea. I'm sure there are even more post out there, just got tired of searching last night.
Not all who wander are lost

Snooter
Barry Patascher

Postby reyd1 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:53 pm

Nice sticky...

A little off topic, but how about a list of recommended tire shops too?
reyd1
Relative Newbie

Postby BillTheCat » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:33 am

reyd1 wrote:Nice sticky...

A little off topic, but how about a list of recommended tire shops too?

That might be better addressed in each local club forum. Or at least in the MINI/Mini Service forum. Not a bad idea.
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby flipflopws6 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:48 pm

Posting in this thread for the record:

whatever you do DONT keep the Dunlop runflats on your car.

they are $300 tires - my car had 1700 miles on it when one got a bubble and then another bubble in a different tire 100 miles later.
The car never hit a curb - and never drove on a stretch of road that any of my other cars hadnt been on. There was no reason those tires should have failed the way they did.

No wonder it's the only thing MINI won't cover on the car - at least not unless you pay them extra money!

Resolution: bought new NON runflats for my little over a month old BRAND NEW "upper echelon" Mini.
*Brittany*
flipflopws6
Relative Newbie

Re: Tire recommendations

Postby LilBadM » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:36 pm

Best performance tire for the money & longetivity is the new Continental Extreme Contact DW. Max Performance tire with a 340 treadwear! A 215/40/17 size is available for an R53, tad wider than stock & I am 100% happy overall.
Noble M400 - Red Mica (RCKT PWR)
S54 M Coupe Pheonix Yellow (rare bird)
S52 M Coupe Estoril (show queen - LilBadM)
R53 Dinan S Pepper White (go-kart)
LilBadM
Relative Newbie

Postby Minvader » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:12 am

Fuzion ZRi at TireRack... I'm on my 3rd set of these, and I'll probably buy a 4th. They have excellent treadlife & traction (wet & dry), much better than any other tires I've tried, and at $80-$90 each the price is great for those of us who put a lot of miles on the car every day.

I honestly don't understand how there can be so many reviews on TireRack that are less than 9... but I guess everyone's experience is different with so many variables aside from common tires. I know I push these tires really hard, and they never disappoint.
-Tom
Minvader
Postmaster General

run flats or standard?

Postby MeepMini » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:51 am

I've got the 16" OEM runflats on my car and judging by reviews at tire rack etc. they've lasted longer than most. Im currently at 26k (bought Meep used at 21k with no mention that the tires had ever been changed). I don't remember the exact tire model at the moment.

I'm basically all highway with about 80 miles of commute per day. The tire tread still looks fine, they're loud and hard... but otherwise ok.

I'd like to get into auto-x so I'm debating getting some track shoes (probably some 15" spooler wheels and lower price point performance tires...just something decent) and continuing with runflats as the everyday tire. Again, I can't seem to find a runflat on TireRack that everyone DOESN'T hate!

Should I just get some normal tires (I saw recommendations for the S-drives etc on older posts) and just track them or get run flats AND track tires?? I'd like to do an event once a month-ish.

Thoughts?
MeepMini
Relative Newbie

Postby BillTheCat » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:32 am

Honestly, it depends on how badly you want to avoid having to either plug a tire or use Slime/Fix-a-Flat or call a tow truck if you get a flat. Personally, I carry a plug kit, 12v compressor, and Slime at all times, and I don't worry about flat tires. If I get a nasty one, I'll just have to wait for a tow truck, but 99% of flat tires are at least temporarily fixable by a plug or Slime.

If you're comfortable with the possibility of fixing your own flat, I'd say go with a modestly priced performance tire. I'm on my 3rd set of S-Drives on 2 different cars & love them. And the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo has also been getting a LOT of good chatter recently, both here & on the Mazda forum I frequent.
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby MeepMini » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:25 pm

BillTheCat wrote: Personally, I carry a plug kit, 12v compressor, and Slime at all times, and I don't worry about flat tires. If I get a nasty one, I'll just have to wait for a tow truck, but 99% of flat tires are at least temporarily fixable by a plug or Slime.

I've heard that the slime stuff ruins the valve stems... is that a big issue? My main concern is the lack of a spare tire. It seems like most people dump the run flats in favor of regular tires. I'm not opposed to keeping that stuff in my car, I've just never had a car w/o a spare :)
MeepMini
Relative Newbie

Postby JBKone » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:43 pm

MeepMini wrote:I've heard that the slime stuff ruins the valve stems... is that a big issue?

I'd say if you need to use the slime, who cares if it ruins the valve stem? You're going to need another tire anyway, right?
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby BillTheCat » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:49 am

JBKone wrote:
MeepMini wrote:I've heard that the slime stuff ruins the valve stems... is that a big issue?

I'd say if you need to use the slime, who cares if it ruins the valve stem? You're going to need another tire anyway, right?

I hadn't heard of Slime ruining valve stems, but I can imagine it might gum up the works a bit. With older wheels, I'd say "who cares?" But the fellow has a pont when it comes to wheels with TPMS sensors built into the valve stems. Those sensors can cost upwards of $100 a piece, depending on the model of the car. A plain old valve stem should ba changed when you get a new tire anyhow, and it costs about $2, so that's no biggie.

One caution that may negate this danger- any time you use Slime or Fix-a-Flat, YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO TAKE THE TIRE TO A REPAIR FACILITY ASAP AND HAVE IT PROPERLY REPAIRED OR REPLACED, which includes pulling the tire off the rim & cleaning the sealant out of it. These products are not intended as long-term fixes, and I bet most of the damage is done when you let the sealant stay inside the tire/rim for a prolonged period and it has a chance to congeal inside the valve stem.
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby MUNGO » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:24 am

My Fathers friend own's a couple of Goodyear shops down south and hates when someone puts slime or fix-a-flat in a tire and then wants it properly patched.
He says it's a giant pain in the arse to get that crap out and you still have to worry about the patch sealing correctly.
Check out my website... MungoInc.com
MUNGO
MINI Stalker

Postby BillTheCat » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:11 pm

MUNGO wrote:My Fathers friend own's a couple of Goodyear shops down south and hates when someone puts slime or fix-a-flat in a tire and then wants it properly patched.
He says it's a giant pain in the arse to get that crap out and you still have to worry about the patch sealing correctly.

I never had to remove Slime, but Fix-a-Flat was easy to remove. And if you're installing a patch properly, you have to use a grinder to rough up the inner surface of the tire, so it wouldn't matter if you'd slathered it in butter first- the sealant shouldn't make a difference.

Would I rather patch a tire without any sealant in the way? Sure? Big deal if it's there? Not so much, IMHO, at least with Fix-a-Flat.

I'd rather plug the leak than use sealant in the first place, whenever possible.
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby MUNGO » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:16 am

I never saw the inside of a tire with that stuff in it, just remember my Dad's buddy telling me to stay away from it. I have a plug kit and compressor in the boot!
Check out my website... MungoInc.com
MUNGO
MINI Stalker

Return to New MINI Performance