Looking for a Tech Support / IT Job - Already!!!

Sometimes people need the support of a community of friends because things are happening in their lives that have them on the ropes. You can post here anonymously if you like. We'll help you get through it. It's what community is all about.

Looking for a Tech Support / IT Job - Already!!!

Postby Gottoon » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:56 am

Hey everyone... I am really new to the state of Florida. My company moved me here to the Sarasota corp office from Phoenix, Arizona just before the first of the year (December 30th, 2010). I met a few of you at the SSM Picnic at Silver River State Park last weekend. (that was me in that outrageously green MINI) I had a blast by the way and I look forward to hanging out with you all in the future.

Today, my position at the company was terminated. I was with the company for three years working and then managing the technical customer support department. My new promotion, the one i moved here for, was taking over all the internal Information Technology systems. They were in bad need of general upkeep and dire need of someone to give direction to the short and long term solutions for growth and money saving. I was picked for the job without an application because of my experience and hard work.
As you can imagine I am sort of ](*,) for accepting this new position. Sometimes, the writing on the wall isn't marked in big enough ink! LOL

So, now I live in Downtown Sarastoa with no job. I am turning to one of the only networks of people I know of here in this state. SSM, for any leads that might be able to help me in my endeavor in securing a new job.

I am also looking for any recommendations for local labor and employment lawyers, as I am in need of advice when it comes to my termination agreement. My situation is fairly unique and I need to know my options!

Advice and comments are welcome. Information from any source can be helpful... especially if experience backs it!

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
-Andrew AKA Gottoon
2006 SB/SB Cooper S - Now Synergy Green / Blue Black Perl roof

Check out my all my photos at My Public Gallery!
Gottoon
Relative Newbie

Re: Looking for a Tech Support / IT Job - Already!!!

Postby eaglebeagle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:20 am

yowch. try bright house... the pay isnt amazing, but really good benefits. Certainly nothing to sneeze at. http://brighthouse.com/tampa-bay/about/careers

best of luck!
Last edited by eaglebeagle on Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Harley
2012 Countryman S
2008 Cooper with the sunroof! -SOLD
eaglebeagle
What's Control??

Postby eaglebeagle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:23 am

another site for stuff in general, which is free: https://www.employflorida.com/
run directly by the state
-Harley
2012 Countryman S
eaglebeagle
What's Control??

Postby Rabidfox » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:29 am

WelldyneRX in Lakeland is hiring a helpdesk position at 19-22/hr. Long drive and a little under what you're used to but it's work :shrug:

I'll keep an eye out but most of my connections are with badcock and publix but their main offices are in Lakeland/mulberry :(
Rabidfox
What's Control??

Postby Gottoon » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:40 am

Location isn't any issue... Good jobs are hard to find. I am willing to travel or relocate.
-Andrew AKA Gottoon
2006 SB/SB Cooper S - Now Synergy Green / Blue Black Perl roof

Check out my all my photos at My Public Gallery!
Gottoon
Relative Newbie

Postby Rabidfox » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:15 am

I'll look around for ya. Offhand I know of the welldyne position and one for Polk State College in winterhaven. Badcock and publix almost always have something listed. Polk County BoCC has a network supervisor position open I think. Might be more what you're looking for but it's in bartow so a roughly 1.5hr drive :(
Rabidfox
What's Control??

Postby BillTheCat » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:11 am

Not aware of specific positions currently hiring at Verizon, but we are in the Tampa area, from Pasco down thru Sarasota and out to Polk County. Pay tends to be above average for this area, and the benefits are kick-ass for hourly employees, and not horrible for management. I would encourage you to try for an hourly position, though, as "management job security" is an oxymoron at Verizon. On the other hand, any job is better than unemployment.

I would imagine most of the IT-specific positions will be in Tampa or Pinellas County, but you never know.

http://www22.verizon.com/Jobs

Edit: Just did a job search for the IT category and chose all of the Tampa Bay locations... 8 positions came up, all in Temple Terrace, which is near Tampa.

Also... the Careers site has sections for Verizon (The local telephone & FiOS folks), Verizon Business (FKA MCI) and Verizon Wireless.
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby Gottoon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:12 pm

thank you everyone for the leeds.

Due to the sitation and some other outside factors I have decided to leave florida and return to my family home in indiana.
Gottoon
Relative Newbie

Postby eaglebeagle » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:50 pm

damn. sorry to see you go!Best of luck on the move.
-Harley
2012 Countryman S
eaglebeagle
What's Control??

Postby Snooter » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:11 am

uh....can the MINI stay :mrgreen:
Not all who wander are lost

Snooter
Barry Patascher

Postby doomsdaybob » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:50 pm

Sorry to hear you're heading out. If you change you mind or someone else is interested my company, VT Group/VT Milcom is looking or someone in Tampa to work w/ our Health Care folks. Can see all the job listings at http://www.vtmilcom.com.

We have offices all across the US and usually work picks up end of January or so as the governments get their new budgets.

Good luck.
'13 Volvo C30 R-Design, DS, Premium Plus, AT. Boss Ladies new car but she lets me drive it some.
'03 MCS, DS/B, Prem, Sport, Alta CAI, Many parking lot dings but still shiny.
doomsdaybob
What's Control??

Postby TReed » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:46 pm

eaglebeagle wrote:damn. sorry to see you go!Best of luck on the move.

QFE
It was nice to meet you at the picnic! Sorry to hear you have to leave so soon. :x You'll always be a member of SSM, though!
Good luck with everything!
TReed
SSM Carbon Fiber Princess

Return to Community Support