HI, looking to buy!

Buy or sell your MINI gear and accessories. We take a 5% cut. Kidding.

Moderator: MUNGO

HI, looking to buy!

Postby sub zero » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:25 pm

HI, My name is Jeff. I am one of the owners of S&R Performance. I am going to look at my first Mini Cooper S today. I am looking for an earlier model I can use as my daily driver for my 44 mile round trip to the shop. Can't afford the gas on my Turbo Supra. Anything I should look out for mx wise or problems inherent to certain year models?

Thanks in Advance and I hope to be at the shop for the Dyno day.
sub zero
Rookie

Re: HI, looking to buy!

Postby JBKone » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:29 pm

This should probably go in the classifieds section. You'll get more hits there I'm sure! Good luck. The only thing I know is look out for the early CVTs and Mmidlands 5-speeds from '02-04. an 05-or 06 is your best bet.
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby BillTheCat » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:59 pm

I moved the topic into "New MINI Classifieds."

Turbo Supra, huh? I'm gonna like having you around here. I have a '92 with a 1JZ swap that's currently disabled due to being smashed like a grape in the parking lot while I worked. Supras are my first automotive love.

MINIs, however, are right up there, which is why I am here. How old of an MCS are you looking at? If you're looking at the first generation with the supercharger, I'd consider the following:

Motor mounts. The liquid filled mounts have this tendency to pop, especially the one on the passenger's side. You WILL end up replacing them from time to time, but it can't hurt to find out if the current owner has replaced them & inspect them. Many people drive on busted motor mounts & don't even know it.

If the mileage is up over 70-80k, ask if the supercharger has been replaced or rebuilt. Why? because the one really retarded engineering move they made with this engine was to run the water pump off the back of the supercharger. Most supercharger failures occur when the shaft that drives the water pump wears out its bearings & the SC oil (closed system) bleeds out the arse end, leaving it dry. There is at least one (or was, dunno if it's still available) kit to convert to an electric water pump out there if you're interested in extending SC life.

Power steering. The itty bitty cooling fan often gets damaged, and the electric pump overheats. Test it, inspect it, make sure there's a screen over the fan, to protect it from road debris, etc.

I know far less of the foibles of the 2nd generation MCS, except for the dreaded melting hood scoop, which is purely cosmetic. (Non-functional) However, if you are looking to save gas, the 2nd gen wins there. 1st gen, depending on mods & driving style, will likely yield 23-27mpg overall. 2nd gen will likely yield 28-34mpg overall.

That's all I can think of at the moment.... gotta go get ready for work. I skipped overtime to sleep in this morning, so I gotta boogie...
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby sub zero » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:16 pm

Thanks, that is all good stuff. I have a better idea of what to watch out for.
sub zero
Rookie

Postby aerojammin » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:00 am

In addition to BilltheCat's suggestions, I'd also check out the guides at Motoring file.

http://www.motoringfile.com/index.php?s=buyers+guide

Happy Hunting...I hope you find what you are looking for!
aerojammin
Relative Newbie

Postby sBox » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:47 am

27 mpg? Last time I tested, I got just over 31 mpg on the highway (I drive 70m round trip to FTL daily at 70mph on the turnpike). Before it is said, my figure is based on pump and mileage, not the computer. The computer said I got 30 Mpg over the same period. :)
'06 RG/S MCS, Dinan Cowl + Stage 3 Software, Dinan STB, OS Giken LSD, ACT XTSS clutch/flywheel, 15% pulley, JCW Exhaust, 19mm Rear Sway Bar, H-Sport Camber Plates, Bilstein PSS9s, TSW Control Arms, '09 R56 Front Brakes
sBox
Barely in Control

Postby RED MINI » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:37 am

I still get about 26 overall with 114,000 miles. I've had a few problems with mine, most of which was covered by Bill the Cat, though I'd toss in a few more simple but common problems: Bushings get to be problematic after 75K as does the two stage AC fan motor. I'd want to know the status of both those items. You might also want to check the tolerances on the rotors. I know I am living on borrowed time, but since I'm going to do a complete overhaul when the SC goes, I'll just wait it out and hope its not somewhere past the rainbow (out in the woods) when it happens. Then again, I've heard tell of two or three R53's with more than 180K still chunking right along, so who knows, eh?

'04 MCS40, '09 Clubman S – A little bit of everything fun! Chili Red Owner's Club, 100,000 Mile Club
RED MINI
Panhandle Poobah

Postby Basement06 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:13 pm

Jeff - as in the guy whose old S2k Primogen is driving?? You still lurking on here?
Basement06
Rookie

Postby bosfordjd » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:44 am

sBox wrote:27 mpg? Last time I tested, I got just over 31 mpg on the highway (I drive 70m round trip to FTL daily at 70mph on the turnpike). Before it is said, my figure is based on pump and mileage, not the computer. The computer said I got 30 Mpg over the same period. :)

70mph, I think that's the problem, you're in the slow lane. I've made a couple trips up 95 to NY, never get over 27pmg on a tank, but that's cruisin 80-85 most the way.

I can agree with previous sentiments on bushings, you definitely notice the wear, quite noticeable around 70k, I'm at 87k and they need replacing bad, lol.
2006 CR/B MCS, LSD, M7 STB, M7 16% Pulley, M7 CAI, M7 Aero Grill, Stealth Alta Sportone, Blacked Beltline, Red Schroth Harnesses, 17" Black OZ Ultraleggeras.
bosfordjd
Barely in Control

Postby Rabidfox » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:59 am

Bunch of us came up to S&R for a dyno day when it got rained out :lol:

They both make good power with the right mods. I make ~220whp and pulled 37mpg omw to daytona back in Jan.

Don't use brisk plugs and make sure your plugs stay tight btw ;)
Rabidfox
What's Control??

Postby Wizard » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:05 am

What's wrong with Brisk plugs?
R54 "Merlin" - Aero Kit, Alpine, Alta, Craven Speed, Eibach, Helix, Koni, Magnaflow, Michelin, MSD, Racing Dynamics, Rockford Fosgate, R85 S-Lites, Wilwood F&R BBK, Unichip
Wizard
formerly quicksilver1600

Postby Rabidfox » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:27 am

Ionno...the majority of people I've found thatve had a plug shoot out were using brisk plugs and that's what I was using :lol: I'm super OCD so they were torqued down properly and I wasn't running lean :shrug: I've heard of thermal creep but damn :lol:
Rabidfox
What's Control??

Postby Wizard » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:22 am

I've heard Denso's are a bad plug for blowing out also.
R54 "Merlin" - Aero Kit, Alpine, Alta, Craven Speed, Eibach, Helix, Koni, Magnaflow, Michelin, MSD, Racing Dynamics, Rockford Fosgate, R85 S-Lites, Wilwood F&R BBK, Unichip
Wizard
formerly quicksilver1600

Postby Rabidfox » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:38 am

Yeah from the looks of it it's brisk, then denso, then stupid people not torqueing/misc other brands, and the bottom of the list are the NGKs

Just from what I've read recently since one of my brisk plugs shot out my head. I've never heard of that problem being "common" :lol:
Rabidfox
What's Control??

Postby Geddy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:40 am

Ok...A little off topic, but if Brisk and NGK are out...What plug do you guys recommend?
2003 LY/W MCS ~R84 X-Lites, Sirius, Iridium plugs, drilled & slotted rotors, Green pads, S/S brake lines, Yokohama S drives, ALTA CAI w/ Silicone intake, DDM IC diverter, one ball mod~ Snoopy's finally getting some Mods!
Geddy
Barely in Control

Postby Rabidfox » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:19 pm

I'm not saying theyre bad. I just found, through my trollings, that brisk plugs seem to be more common in the "shit a plug shot out my head" arena :lol:

I saw very little NGK. It's probably a coincidence...not saying one is more likely to shoot out the head or not...just relaying what I've seen lookin around the interwebs at other people who had the same problem I have :)
Rabidfox
What's Control??

Postby Mini_Berger21 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:29 pm

I was actually at the second dyno day @ S&R, however I was the only Mini that showed up with another guy from the BMW CCA.

Jeff, random question, but do you guys save your dyno files? I never had mine emailed to me, and just wondering if there is a sliver of a chance its floating around somewhere haha.

Last I remember you guys were crating your dyno up to be serviced/rebuilt?

Anyways, good luck with your Mini search! R53 supercharged FTW! \:D/
2003 R53 MCS JCW: |Sport, Premium, Cold Weather|
DDMworks CAI+Diverter, Detroit Tuned BPV, B&M Shifter, Bilstein PSS9s, Helix Adj Camber Plates, Hotchkis Rear Control Arms + 19mm Rear Sway Bar, M7 Front Strut Brace, Cobalt Rear Strut Brace, Konig,Hankook V12 Evo, Kumho Ecsta XS
Mini_Berger21
Starting to lose Control

Return to New MINI Classifieds