Helenblitz 2009 Charity Event (Helen, GA) Update

Events beyond Florida which are of interest to us Florida people.

Moderators: James, Gleep

Helenblitz 2009 Charity Event (Helen, GA) Update

Postby lawmann » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:46 am

Greetings all,

Well, we are furiously planning the "Helenblitz 2009 Charity Event which will be February 27 - March 1, 2009. This will be the first event of the Mini/MINI 50th Anniversary/Golden Jubilee. I have sent out notices to the other SMALL affiliate clubs and have begun making requests of the various Mini and MINI vendors (30 so far) for donations and participation in the event. I have been contacted by Redline Accessories (www.redlinegoods.com), which is a European company. So I guess in a way Helenblitz is an internationally sponsored event!

We will be getting great coverage from our fantastic friends at MC2 Magazine and the NAM Alliance Magazine, NAM Alliance will be running a story on the Helen 2008 event to get interest going ahead of the Helenblitz 2009. As usual, our friends at M2C2 (MINI Motoring Club of the Carolinas) are working some majic at their end as well.

We are looking at having events like a car show, social gatherings, drives, scavenger hunts, auction and raffle, and tours of the local winery and grist mill. I am really excited about this year's event.

Certainly more to come, hope to see you at the event.

19 DECEMBER UPDATE***UPDATE***UPDATE***UPDATE***UPDATE

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you about Helenblitz, but with travel and a baby on the way I have been maxed out to say the least.

Here is what we have for Helenblitz 2009 so far:

Our host hotel, Best Western, has really been great to work with. The General Manager, Carol Powell has arranged for a rate of $59.00/night for us. We have the entire hotel reserved for Helenblitz 2009 attendees with overflow going to the sister hotel, Super 8. I have visited this hotel and it is very nice, go to their website at: www.helen-georgia-hotels.com to see more. To make your reservations, call (706) 878-2111 and let the friendly person taking your reservation know you are with the MINI Cooper Group.

In addition to giving us a great rate, Ms. Powell is calling in some local favors and is trying to get some media coverage for us with the local FOX station in Helen. She is also helping me with points of contact in the local community; this means a lot having a referral from someone in the local community. I will be headed up there on Monday, 22 December to see what else I can work out with the local businesses, so definitely more to come on that.

We have many sponsors, one of which tells me they are going to provide trophies for the MINI car show, so be sure to bring your cleaning supplies. There will be a nominal entry fee (to be determined) for the car show which will go to helping raise money for the Speedway Children’s Charities and offset minor costs (very minor).

We will have freebies and door prizes (still in work, part of why I am headed up there on Monday) for attendees. I know MINI USA will be providing some freebies as is Out Motoring, so no one should leave empty-handed.

Look for there to be items for sale as well.

This is the schedule of events thus far:

Friday, 27 Feb 09: Meet and Greet
Unveiling of the New 2009 R57 Cabrio
Dutch Treat Dinner
Drinks at the Troll Tavern

Saturday, 28 Feb 09: Car Show
Scavenger Hunt
Drives (2 routes; 1 that is 45 minutes, the other is 1 ½ hours)
RC MINI Car Race (BYORCM-Bring Your Own RC MINI)
Silent Auction (all day)
Car Show Trophy Awards
Guest Speaker: Phil Wicks
Dutch Treat Dinner
Drinks at the Troll Tavern

Sunday, 01 Mar 09: Dutch Treat Breakfast (Possibly the Breakfast Buffet at the Unicoi Lodge)
Final Drives and Farewells

Helen is a great community as evident with the generosity given by Best Western. I encourage everyone to at some point during their stay in Helen, to patronize the local establishments. Let’s make the first event of the MINI/Mini Golden Jubilee year one that will be hard to beat.

Definitely more to come! For more info, go to www.middlegeorgiaminis.com or do a search on NAM for "Helenblitz"

Cheers-
2006 MCS Checkmate Space Blue/Silver
lawmann
Rookie

Postby J3kidford » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:23 pm

Wow! This sounds like lots of fun! If I'm off that weekend I will be going for sure.
Janet
'08 SS Sidewalk MCSCa/M7 16% pulley/M7 CAI/M7 Strut Tower Brace/M7 USS/M7 heatshield/Hotchkis 19mm Rear Sway Bar/Screamin Demon Coil Pak/NGK plugs and wires/one ball exhaust/sprint booster

'13 WS S Roadster with JCW tuning kit
J3kidford
Postmaster General

Postby BillTheCat » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:17 am

A small group of us have spent a day/night in Helen before MOTD the last few years. Very nice town, friendly folks, and the Troll Tavern is awesome!!! I am drinking ginger ale from one of their souvenir beer mugs right now. :guinness:

I just wish this had been posted here a few days ago, as I have already submitted my 2009 vacation requests at work. Maybe I can fenagle a change... :twisted:
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby lawmann » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:44 am

Sorry for the delay in getting this information out, I have been posting on NAM and we passed out 100 flyers at the Mickey and MINI 4 this past September, so we thought we had our bases covered. I hope you can work it out to come to Helen at the end of February.

Keep us posted! Read more about this on NAM, especially in the Middle Georgia MINIs and M2C2 forums.
lawmann
Rookie

Postby Zooty » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:35 pm

This looks like a great excuse for a road trip :motoring: and a good way to use up a couple of vacation days. Our room at the Best Western is booked!!

Sharon & Marc
My MINI has a hard time passing shopping malls.
2007 MCS CR/W
Zooty
Out of Control

Postby lawmann » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:50 pm

Zooty wrote:This looks like a great excuse for a road trip :motoring: and a good way to use up a couple of vacation days. Our room at the Best Western is booked!!

Sharon & Marc

Sounds great! looks like we're going to have a great turnout for this year. We look forward to seeing you there.
lawmann
Rookie

Postby DWebber18 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:38 am

Looks like I might be heading down to Helen for this event on Saturday with a couple people from Smoky Mountain MINIs. I will be great to see some of my SSM buddies.
'07 Astro Black MCS, 10% Tint, Minspeed Shorty Antenna, Forge CAI Minspeed 19mm swaybar, H&R Springs, Alta turbo back exhaust, boost tubes, and turbo inlet tube MINI Pictures
DWebber18
Out of Control

Postby lawmann » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:14 pm

DWebber18 wrote:Looks like I might be heading down to Helen for this event on Saturday with a couple people from Smoky Mountain MINIs. I will be great to see some of my SSM buddies.

Great! We look forward to seeing you there!

Motor Safely!

Cheers-
lawmann
Rookie

Postby DWebber18 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:28 pm

just wanted to bump this incase anyone else is interested in heading up for the festivities
'07 Astro Black MCS, 10% Tint, Minspeed Shorty Antenna, Forge CAI Minspeed 19mm swaybar, H&R Springs, Alta turbo back exhaust, boost tubes, and turbo inlet tube MINI Pictures
DWebber18
Out of Control

Postby Zooty » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:35 pm

Thanks for hosting a great event. This was our first time to Helen and we enjoyed it. Bummer that the weather didn't cooperate (made for a very long trip back to Orlando). But hopefully next year will be bigger and the weather will be better (provided there is one next year). We'll spread the word to Sunshine MINIs.

Sharon & Marc
My MINI has a hard time passing shopping malls.
2007 MCS CR/W
Zooty
Out of Control

Postby DWebber18 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 pm

I thought i heard you all from Orlando, I noticed the area code when you gave your phone number at the registration desk. Glad you all had a good time, and yeah the weather sucked but oh well. Atleast I got to ride the dragon twice, even if it was wet!!
DWebber18
Out of Control

Return to Outside Florida