TGICR 2009

Events beyond Florida which are of interest to us Florida people.

Moderators: James, Gleep

TGICR 2009

Postby TReed » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:05 am

I was not able to join The Great Ice Cream Run 1, but I subscribed to receive email alerts and updates and I received one today.

Greetings!

The wheels are in motion and, having been told the official date for MINIs on Top next year, I'm happy to announce that the dates for The GREAT Ice Cream Run 2 will be June 22 - 25, 2009. Plan on arriving in Staunton, VA on June 21st in time for our evening kick-off get-together at Wright's Dairy Rite. Those taking the auto-train up from Florida will have ample time to make the 2-3 hour drive over from the train station in Lorton to Staunton in time for the evening's festivities.

The GREAT Ice Cream Run website (http://thegreaticecreamrun.com) has been updated with all the latest info, and more will be added as this event develops.

There is an interesting new twist to share with you...

Mark Vogler of the Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club organized a group drive of the Blue Ridge Parkway this year. They had such a great time that they want to do it again next year. Now here's the twist...

Mark is planning to organize the event so that the group drives the Parkway from it's southern end in Cherokee, NC to it's northern terminus in Waynesboro, VA and time it so that their three-day drive of the Parkway ends just in time for people to join in for the start of The GREAT Ice Cream Run 2.

Think of it as the MINI Triple Crown... Blue Ridge Parkway Tour, The GREAT Ice Cream Run 2, and MOT 2009!

As with last year's ice cream run, registration will be required and you're welcome to join us for the entire trip, or just a day. I expect registration to open later this year once prices for t-shirts, decals, etc. can be established. For now, I just wanted to get the dates out to you all for those who need to plan their vacation time in advance.

As always, if there are any questions, please email me.

Thanks, and we hope to see you at The GREAT Ice Cream Run 2 next year!

Robyn Resch
Organizer

questions@thegreaticecreamrun.com
TReed
SSM Carbon Fiber Princess

Postby Caveman » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:22 am

OOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo...
2003 Electric Blue MCS
"I shall have fish n' chips."
Caveman
SSM Sith Lord

Postby MINI_Marc » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:43 am

I like me some ice cream. :mrgreen:
15% Alta Pulley | Minspeed CAI | "One Ball" Exhaust | TSW V2 Engine Damper | 2 Kicker Comp 10 Subs and 250Watt JL Audio Amp | JL Audio Front/Rear Speakers | JVC Head Unit | JCW Rear Wing | Ociari Cowl Scoops | Blue/White LED Interior Lighting | JCW GP Intercooler
MINI_Marc
Leader of the posse

Postby James » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:22 am

James
Administrator Emeritus

Postby J3kidford » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:00 am

I am so going!!!! Wow!!!
Janet
'08 SS Sidewalk MCSCa/M7 16% pulley/M7 CAI/M7 Strut Tower Brace/M7 USS/M7 heatshield/Hotchkis 19mm Rear Sway Bar/Screamin Demon Coil Pak/NGK plugs and wires/one ball exhaust/sprint booster

'13 WS S Roadster with JCW tuning kit
J3kidford
Postmaster General

Postby Jerseygirl » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:32 am

Hey guys. I see someone beat me to it and started a thread. That's great! Nice to know there's interest down there. As the original post says, if anyone has any questions, fire away.

I'll check in here more often once I get registration officially open later this year and you can always see the latest news on the website. :D
Robyn
"Nittany": '03 IB/W MCS
"Baldrick":: '79 Triumph Spitfire
"Little British cars are like potato chips... You can't have just one."
Jerseygirl
Relative Newbie

Postby Jerseygirl » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:11 am

Registration for The GREAT Ice Cream Run 2 is now open!

Download your registration forms here.

Registration closes on 3/30.

The dates: June 22-25, 2009 (arrive in Staunton, VA on 6/21)

Mark your calendars and start your diets now!

This will be a four day trek from Staunton, VA up to Bar Harbor, ME, with stops along the way at some fantastic ice cream shops. Deep fried ice cream... Guinness ice cream... Maine Blueberry ice cream... and don't forget that lobster ice cream! Those are just a few of the ice cream delights that await you along the way. The focus this year will be on quality, not quantity. To that end, we'll be highlighting just 2 or 3 shops each day with the emphasis on making each stop more of a "happening" than just a quick stop for ice cream.

On Sunday evening, June 21 we'll be having a little kick-off get-together at Wright's Dairy Rite in Staunton so everyone can meet and get to know each other a bit. Oh, and of course so everyone can have a Wright's Wheelie (warm glazed donut topped with ice cream, hot fudge and whipped cream)!

This time around, we've got a few little changes:

1. We'll be ending in Bar Harbor a day earlier than we did in 2007 so that people can spend some time in Bar Harbor and enjoy some of the sights/activities it has to offer before having to drive over to NH for MINIs on Top (if you choose to attend).

2. Night 3 of the run will be in Freeport, ME instead of Rockland, ME. This will make day 3's drive a bit more manageable and allow people time to enjoy Freeport in the evening.

The GREAT Ice Cream Run website has been updated with hotel information for the first three nights of the run. We're still working out the details with the hotels in Maine so stay tuned.

To stay up to date on all the latest details or to sign up for the event email list, please visit: http://thegreaticecreamrun.com

And don't forget that if you can swing the vacation time, you've got the option to do the Blue Ridge Parkway Tour for the three days prior to TGICR2 and then MINIs on Top for two days after this run. That's a whole lot of MINI fun in a little over a week!

Both the Blue Ridge Parkway Tour and MINIs on Top are being organized independently of TGICR2. If you're interested in doing either of those events, you'll need to register for them separately. Info for these events can be found here:

Blue Ridge Parkway Tour: http://www.tarheelminis.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42
MINIs on Top: http://minisontop.com

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to post or shoot me a PM.

Hope to see some of you for all or part of the run this year!
Robyn
Jerseygirl
Relative Newbie

Postby DSCabrio » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:00 pm

We joined the last TGICR and had a great time! Robyn did a great job with this event and the fine tuning for 2009 looks good. A Highly Recommended Motoring Experience!

I'm working on making the arrangements to go this year and join the Blue Ridge Parkway Tour as well. Can't do MOT this time because of time constraints. We plan to take Auto Train back down.

BTW for those not in attendance, my daughter Erica won the "Hard Luck Story Award" at Mickey & MINI this year with her story of having to spend 2 WEEKS IN THE MINI WITH DAD on TGICR. She won a "Magic 8-Ball" and when she returned to her seat, she asked if she "had" to go this year and the 8-Ball said "Yes, definitely!"

So she will be attending again. Probably the last year as navigator, after this, she's planning on having her own MINI.
DSCabrio
Barely in Control

Postby Chesney » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:44 pm

Since Freeport is only 30 minutes away we might see some of you there...even though we're MINIless...I'm sure we'll still go to MOT.
Motoring ID COOP075
Image#125
Chesney
Out of Control

Postby gbmini » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:33 am

DSCabrio wrote:... Erica won the "Hard Luck Story Award" at Mickey & MINI this year with her story of having to spend 2 WEEKS IN THE MINI WITH DAD on TGICR. She won a "Magic 8-Ball" and when she returned to her seat, she asked if she "had" to go this year and the 8-Ball said "Yes, definitely!"

Great news, David :)

With GPMINI still enjoying the sun in Florida, I'm hoping to be able to get the time to drive up, hit the parkway, and join the TGICR folks - then I'll probably go to MOT too ;)
Ian C. (UK->MA->FL!) driving GBMINI
gbmini
Still has full Control

Postby TReed » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:46 am

DSCabrio wrote:We joined the last TGICR and had a great time! Robyn did a great job with this event and the fine tuning for 2009 looks good. A Highly Recommended Motoring Experience!

I'm working on making the arrangements to go this year and join the Blue Ridge Parkway Tour as well. Can't do MOT this time because of time constraints. We plan to take Auto Train back down.

BTW for those not in attendance, my daughter Erica won the "Hard Luck Story Award" at Mickey & MINI this year with her story of having to spend 2 WEEKS IN THE MINI WITH DAD on TGICR. She won a "Magic 8-Ball" and when she returned to her seat, she asked if she "had" to go this year and the 8-Ball said "Yes, definitely!"

So she will be attending again. Probably the last year as navigator, after this, she's planning on having her own MINI.

That was an awesome story....and that's awesome news that she wants a MINI :)
TReed

Postby DSCabrio » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:29 am

Hi Ian! That would be great! Mayne we can reunite the "S-creamers".

I wish I could make MOT this year but I need to get back for work. Actually, Erica's Nana lives in Knoxville so I am toying with driving up there first, hitting The Dragon for a day or so, and then joining the group in Cherokee. I haven't been able to go to MOTD, and I'd like to get a couple of runs in. Let me know what you are planning .

That was an awesome story....and that's awesome news that she wants a MINI

Well there may be some parental pressure there. Maybe.

With a tentative alias of "Voodoo Child",

I figure a red & black R53 might be the ticket? Whatcha think?
DSCabrio
Barely in Control

Postby TReed » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:33 am

;)b :D
TReed

Postby Jerseygirl » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:42 pm

Dave and Ian, great to hear you're both planning to join us again this year. Guess the first time around was pretty good. I seem to be getting a lot of "repeat customers". :wink:
Robyn
Jerseygirl
Relative Newbie

Return to Outside Florida