Having trouble with the site? Tell us here.

Important information about this website and the club. Post questions here.

Moderator: Snooter

Having trouble with the site? Tell us here.

Postby MINIBee » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:45 pm

We have had sporadic reports of people having trouble accessing the site over the last several weeks. The problems encountered have been one or more or the following:

Error messages saying the site is not available
    Login problems telling people they have tried to login too many times
    Error messages referring to DNS addressing problems

I cannot duplicate these errors on any of the devices I have available to me. I have tried with four different Macs, an iPad, a Motorola Xoom tablet and two iPhones. The only time I get an error message is when I'm at any Starbucks (does not allow access to forums) which I think is a Starbucks issue.

I need those who are having trouble to report what's happening here so I can try to troubleshoot this. So please copy the questions below and answer them, then past it all in a new post so I can compile and see if there is a pattern. If you know of someone who cannot sign on, please get their information and post it on their behalf.

Questions

User Name:
Device(s) used to access site:
Operating System(s) (Computers or mobile devices)
Error messages, if any:
Internet provider(s):
Have you had to reset your password?
How long have you been having trouble?
Motoring Advisor at Ferman MINI of Tampa Bay - The Journey is the Reward
MINIBee
Checkered past, Checkered MINI

Re: Having trouble with the site? Tell us here.

Postby Rabidfox » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:00 pm

Try the iOS devices after multiple failed logins. I noticed an issue where the captcha window doesn't show up on iPhone/iPad so you have to hunt down a computer :lol: had a similar issue with another site but not sure what I did to fix it (admin side not user side)
Rabidfox
What's Control??

Postby JBKone » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:27 am

I've had a bit of a problem sporadically. Seems like mostly in the afternoon I guess: 10-4 ish? Haven't had a problem first thing in the morning. I figured the server or provider was too busy.

Win XP SP3 desktop computer
IE 7
no password reset
maybe just this week, but I haven't kept a log.

When it happens it looks like the site doesn't exist: like if you go to http://www.abshel.com/ (random letters)

OH, and I'm "jbkone" :-D
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby MINIBee » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:13 am

Rabidfox wrote:Try the iOS devices after multiple failed logins. I noticed an issue where the captcha window doesn't show up on iPhone/iPad so you have to hunt down a computer :lol: had a similar issue with another site but not sure what I did to fix it (admin side not user side)

I'm aware. I'm pretty sure Captcha uses Flash to display the letters, and that's why is doesn't work. That's not something I can fix.
MINIBee

Postby Rabidfox » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:03 pm

I think vbulletin has a fix. Ive seen it work on iOS just can't remember how lol.
Rabidfox
What's Control??

Postby JBKone » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:51 pm

In addition to my above post... it just happened.

Then I went to Google (I've done this once before) and typed Sunshine MINIs of course, and clicked on the Panhandle section. That didn't work, so I clicked on the Jacksonville section. Here I am!

It's as if sometimes it can't find the site, and if you try another avenue, it works. Hmmm.... :-k
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby Snooter » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:45 pm

I've not been able to access the site for sometimes a hour, a few hours and almost a whole day. Roadrunner is my server and I use Internet Explorer and enjoy long rides in my MINI topless.

Since I know a few folks mentioned the same thing to me, I assumed it was server issues. That was over a week ago and I've been fine since then.
Not all who wander are lost

Snooter
Barry Patascher

Postby BillTheCat » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Rabidfox wrote:I think vbulletin has a fix. Ive seen it work on iOS just can't remember how lol.

SSM ain't on vbulletin. We're phpbb. But maybe there's a mod for that on phpbb, too.
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby 2phun » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:24 pm

I've had the problem sporadically, but I click my bookmark for the link a couple more times and it always seems to come up. Very random. I'll get more specifics next time it happens.
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby BillTheCat » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:15 pm

Just curious to know the exact bookmark people have set. Mine is directly to the forums:

www.sunshineminis.org/forums

Never have an issue. Not saying that necessarily makes the difference, but I wonder if using an extended url could affect DNS performance in any way.
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby Snooter » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:27 pm

Have a link on my yahoo homepage set to:

http://www.sunshineminis.org/
Not all who wander are lost

Snooter
Barry Patascher

Postby Blainestang » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:28 pm

I had trouble getting to the site this evening from my iPhone, and now that I think about it, it's happened before. Basically, I click on my bookmark (which is to /forums/index.php?style=7, for whatever reason), and I kept getting a popup from the phone that said something very similar to "Couldn't open page because we couldn't connect to the server".

So, I click on the bookmark for MotoringFile, and it comes right up.

Hope that helps... haha
2009 MINI Cooper : OB/W, Sport Package (DTC, Sport Seats [L], 16" Bridge Spokes [W], Front Fogs, White Bonnet Stripes, Rear Spoiler), Anthracite Headliner, MFSW - VERY Unofficial First Cooper w/ DTC
Blainestang
Out of Control

Postby JBKone » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:23 am

Again. Then I googled and used the same trick to load any page and click Board Index. The shortcut I'm trying to use most often is http://www.sunshineminis.org/forums/index.php

And as I type this, I open another tab to get the shortcut and it won't open... but here I am. :-k

-- Edit --
And the Submit worked and reloaded and I can edit this post, but trying to refresh the other tab with that addy in the Add. Bar won't work.
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby JBKone » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:26 am

OH, and maybe this will help?
When I do the Google trick to open SSM (Google "Sunshine MINIs" and open a page from there). Seems like the 1st time I did it, I could just click Panhandle MINIs link. Then that one didn't work and I hit BACK and clicked the Jacksonville link. Then neither worked just now and I had to use the Orlando MINIs link. Could it have anything to do with links you've already opened in IE? weird.
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby MINIBee » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:23 am

The maddening thing for me as I read all this is that I see no real pattern and I can't duplicate any of it. I have four iPhones, three Macs, an Android phone, and Android tablet and an iPad and they ALL work without incident. The only time I have an issue is when I'm at Starbucks on their WiFi. I can open the home page but not the forums. That must be a block Starbucks has on certain forum types. Has anyone else had issues at Starbucks?

I have done a full backup of the system and plan to do an upgrade to the phpbb software this weekend to see if that fixes things. I still don't know what I'm trying to fix but I have to start somewhere.
MINIBee

Postby TReed » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:32 am

Did you get that new Android phone that I wad using to work?
I have had the message that I've incorrectly typed my password too many times and had to request a new one. Over the past month a couple of people have messaged me by other means to ask if the site was down, but since it worked for me I didn't ask them specifics.
The captcha thing doesn't show up on my android phone either.
TReed
SSM Carbon Fiber Princess

Postby JBKone » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:01 pm

were others having a problem with Firefox? Maybe IE issue? Maybe server issue connecting to Windows? grabbing thin air i know, but a brainstorm stometimes helps.
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby JBKone » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:45 pm

wow. And this time it worked! :-D

and there's nothing new on SSM to loook at :-(
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Postby 2phun » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:18 pm

MINIBee wrote:I can open the home page but not the forums.

This is what happens to me but from home, not Starbucks. I start off on the homepage, then click the Normal Forums link. I get to the homepage no problem, but once in a while when I click on the forums I get a message similar to what Blainestang mentioned. Hasn't happened since you posted this though, so I can't quote it.
2phun
"Clever caption here"

Postby BillTheCat » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:11 pm

Everyone, don;'t forget to list your ISP. I'm still thinking that this is either with certain DNS servers, or the SSM hosting server, even though some of us have not encountered any issues. (Knock on wood)
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Next

Return to Website Information, Features, and Questions