FIRE!!!!!

National gathering of MINIs and Minis in North Carolina on April 30th - May 3rd, 2008

FIRE!!!!!

Postby MINI_Marc » Fri May 02, 2008 12:05 am

Post pics later.
15% Alta Pulley | Minspeed CAI | "One Ball" Exhaust | TSW V2 Engine Damper | 2 Kicker Comp 10 Subs and 250Watt JL Audio Amp | JL Audio Front/Rear Speakers | JVC Head Unit | JCW Rear Wing | Ociari Cowl Scoops | Blue/White LED Interior Lighting | JCW GP Intercooler
MINI_Marc
Leader of the posse

Postby al darko » Mon May 05, 2008 5:01 pm

Okay...so what's the story about the fire? :?
Image Image"The Cooper S purred away a real horrowshow. A nice warm vibraty feeling all through your guttiwuts."
al darko
Postmaster General

Postby Hollister » Mon May 05, 2008 5:07 pm

al darko wrote:Okay...so what's the story about the fire? :?

After the Cherohala Drive, I went back to the cabin (which was along Welch Rd, at the base/side of the mountain)...as I was backing in, I noticed the power pole behind our cabin rocking side to side. I thought maybe it was one of those rare earthquakes they have in NC, but then I noticed popping, and looked down the road. All I saw was transformer after transformer blowing up. Needless to say, a tree had fallen behind Mark Ferguson's (of NAM) cabin, pulling down the line. Before we knew it, the mountain was on fire. It was contained fairly quickly, but it was very scary for a while.
"There is a land called Passive Aggressiva, and I am their Queen." 8-[
Sulley: 2006 MCS CR/W with a few goodies! I have joined the Dark Side! :twisted:
Hollister
Red Headed Menace

Postby al darko » Mon May 05, 2008 5:18 pm

:shock: thanks for the update...
Glad everyone was okay :)
Perhaps the wrath of the MINI gods to punish Mark selling NAM.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image Image"The Cooper S purred away a real horrowshow. A nice warm vibraty feeling all through your guttiwuts."
al darko
Postmaster General

Postby BillTheCat » Mon May 05, 2008 5:43 pm

It waS really kinda surreal. I had just gone back to my cabin to waste time painting details on my Pinewood Derby car. As I began to try & paint a MINI logo about 1/16" of an inch wide, I suddenly heard what sounded like fireworks. Thought someone was being an idiot. I mean, why set off fireworks at 3 in the afternoon?

Then I heard what sounded like one of those plastic industrial 55-gallon barrels, empty, tumbling end over end down the street. I could not begi to figure that out, so I got up & went to the window, where I was treated to a view of a ball of lightning creeping across the roofs of the cabins across the street.

The fireworks nose had been the tree falling. The barrel noise was the sound of the electricity arcing between the lines. The arcing kept going for 2-3 minutes, Jacob's Ladder style, but I didn't think to get my video camera. (Someone else did, I am told)

the fire itself was not really impressive, but it did stretch out behind about 5 cabins along Welch Road, and most everyone in those cabins (including Treed, Caveman, and Kelsey Ellen) hurriedly tossed all or msot of their belongings back into their cars until it was over.

Fontana doesn't appear to have a dedicated Fire Department, but the hikers who were there, along with a handful of MINI owners (Including Xanthus) began trudging up the hillside to douse the flames with whatever was handy.

Took about 20 minutes for the first fire truck to arrive from Stecoah, but they did nt fight the fire. I was told they were there to protect the cabins, period. It was up to the U.S. Forestry Service to put out the fire. What I wanna know is--- how close to the cabins would the fire have to get before the local FD would fight it in the interest of saving the cabins??? The fire was literally less than 20 feet from some of the cabins.

Fontana ended up cutting nearly all power to the entire grounds for several hours. Power along Welch road was not restored until after midnight, and the last few cabins right near the fire didn't get power back until near dawn, according to one of my neighbors out there. Oh, and the cable TV never came back on all weekend. I heard conflicting reports about whether or not landline phones came back on.

All in all, a minor drama. Some food spoiled in the cabins that went longest without power, but Randy made sure TReed's beer was consumed before it went bad, so no worries.

I heard that Welshmenwillnotyield from NAM was moved into a Lodge room, but that his belongings were fairly well saturated with smoke smell, and he went home early. Did not hear any reports of anyone being injured or suffering from smoke inhalation.
MINIless.
BillTheCat
SSM Movie Pimp

Postby MINIBee » Mon May 05, 2008 7:09 pm

I have some great video of Lance working on the fire, "bucket brigade" style. Will get that posted at some point.
Motoring Advisor at Ferman MINI of Tampa Bay - The Journey is the Reward
MINIBee
Checkered past, Checkered MINI

Postby xanthus » Mon May 05, 2008 7:42 pm

"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security. " --Ben Franklin
xanthus
Dark Lord of the Shots

Re: FIRE!!!!!

Postby TReed » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:44 pm

Ok, as I said, I've been daydreaming about the Dragon now for the past TWO days, so I'm here looking at old MOTD threads and came across this...I guess I missed it when it was originally posted (or maybe didn't think it was funny then haha) and I'm cracking up about it now:
All in all, a minor drama. Some food spoiled in the cabins that went longest without power, but Randy made sure TReed's beer was consumed before it went bad, so no worries.

What a crazy day that was, though! Collin came down to the tent to tell us that the mountian behind our cabin was on fire, we get there to see Kelsey running out with stuff including my bra in her hand (let the bra burn, it's ok!), and Lance is running the bucket brigade saying "when there's a forest fire everyone's a fireman!" Funny to look back and laugh about now. The surge blew a couple of lightbulbs and the fixture over the sink off the wall, and messed up the stove in the cabin. We had no power until late in the night and the maintenance guys actually went and opened the General Store to get us more beer. Crazy times. :-D
Can't wait to get back up there!
TReed
SSM Carbon Fiber Princess

Postby Snooter » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:48 am

good times.....good times!!
Not all who wander are lost

Snooter
Barry Patascher

Postby JBKone » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:31 am

TReed wrote: We had no power until late in the night and the maintenance guys actually went and opened the General Store to get us more beer. Crazy times. :-D

And THAT's service!!

I can't wait to get back up there myself!!!!!!!
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Return to MINIs on the Dragon 2008