VIR baby!

General track-related discussions for all the track junkies out there.

Moderator: MINIBee

VIR baby!

Postby sBox » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:40 am

I'm desperately trying to get into the Tarheel BMW CCA event at VIR on July 4-5. I'm registered and the money's in. Unfortunately, they're putting me on a waiting list for the novice group. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Man, it sure would be fun.
'06 RG/S MCS, Dinan Cowl + Stage 3 Software, Dinan STB, OS Giken LSD, ACT XTSS clutch/flywheel, 15% pulley, JCW Exhaust, 19mm Rear Sway Bar, H-Sport Camber Plates, Bilstein PSS9s, TSW Control Arms, '09 R56 Front Brakes
sBox
Barely in Control

Postby beaner » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:48 pm

i hope that you get in. VIR is definitely on my list of "must drive" tracks when i get the race car built.
i'm out of room before i'm out of gears.
beaner
What's Control??

Postby sBox » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:57 am

I'm in! Somehow, I'm in!

Can't wait!
'06 RG/S MCS, Dinan Cowl + Stage 3 Software, Dinan STB, OS Giken LSD, ACT XTSS clutch/flywheel, 15% pulley, JCW Exhaust, 19mm Rear Sway Bar, H-Sport Camber Plates, Bilstein PSS9s, TSW Control Arms, '09 R56 Front Brakes
sBox
Barely in Control

Congrats!

Postby yachtcomputing » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:21 pm

Take spare brake pads! :D Do us proud! I know you will.

I'm seriously thinking of heading to BMW CCA Oktoberfest at road atlanta after the Petit lemans in October. BMW CCA doesn't have a solo so I'll have a passenger. (Not an issue I always enjoy the company!)
Yellow'02 C/S Madness Stage 4 Engine, KW Var2 Coilovers, Rear Rollcage, TCE 13" Rotors, Wilwood 4 Piston Calipers, 27mmRear Swaybar, Urethane Bushings, Borla Ex
yachtcomputing
Losing Control

Postby sBox » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:51 pm

This track is awesome and purty. It's like driving through a golf course. Elevation changes up and down, quick S'es, a hard braking zone just over a blind rise. Four 25m sessions, good instructors, and a well run event. No stuck-up GT3 owners, no punch-n-go Corvettes, just good ol' fun with a lot of BMWs. Weather was partly cloudy and around 85F. People commented on the 'heat', LOL.

We're running the North section only, so there are only two passing zones but it hasn't been a problem. Tomorrow is supposed to rain so it could be fun for the MINI where others would have trouble. I wish I lived closer. These guys up here go to Mid-Ohio, New Jersey, Watkins Glen, etc. Lucky bastards.
sBox
Barely in Control

Postby yachtcomputing » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:08 pm

Any footage there beau? It sounds awesome.
Yellow'02 C/S Madness Stage 4 Engine, KW Var2 Coilovers, Rear Rollcage, TCE 13" Rotors, Wilwood 4 Piston Calipers, 27mmRear Swaybar, Urethane Bushings, Borla Ex
yachtcomputing
Losing Control

Postby LgEnf » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:55 pm

sBox wrote:I wish I lived closer. These guys up here go to Mid-Ohio, New Jersey, Watkins Glen, etc. Lucky bastards.

I'll take our Year Round - Daytona, Sebring, Homestead and PBIR all within 3-4 hours depending on where you live, and we can run them about 3 weeks out of 4 weeks every month depending on who rented the track.
Jamie and Staci
2004 Indi Blue MCS (Monty) Blue Flame catback, K&N Blue CAI Typhoon, Minspeed 15% pulley, BC coilovers, M7 USS, Minspeed 19mm rear swaybar, Hawk HT10 brake pads (one bad a$$ track ride)
2005 Ram SRT10 QC (Valerie)
LgEnf
Let's face it, you've lost it

Postby sBox » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:58 am

Man what an experience. The event was so well done, everyone was friendly and always willing to lend a hand or tool. Even the guy who wrecked his 330ci was in good humor. Chalk it up to Southern hospitality.

They are holding another event in mid-September. I'm seriously thinking about coming back up. It's only a 14h drive.
sBox
Barely in Control

Postby LgEnf » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:07 am

glad you had a great time, sounds like a simply amazing experience.
Jamie and Staci
2004 Indi Blue MCS (Monty) Blue Flame catback, K&N Blue CAI Typhoon, Minspeed 15% pulley, BC coilovers, M7 USS, Minspeed 19mm rear swaybar, Hawk HT10 brake pads (one bad a$$ track ride)
2005 Ram SRT10 QC (Valerie)
LgEnf
Let's face it, you've lost it

Postby maitland » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:59 am

sBox wrote:Man what an experience. The event was so well done, everyone was friendly and always willing to lend a hand or tool. Even the guy who wrecked his 330ci was in good humor. Chalk it up to Southern hospitality.

They are holding another event in mid-September. I'm seriously thinking about coming back up. It's only a 14h drive.

Video... lap times... come on! Sounds awesome. Can't wait to be up there in a few weeks.
Ian
2009 NASA TTC National Champion
03 Cooper S > RMW Topmount Rotrex Supercharger Kit 350whp, Vipec ECU, RMW Crankshaft, Group 4 Aero, OSGiken LSD Clutch/Flywheel, RWM Header/RACE cam/Cylinder Head, AST coilovers.
http://www.maitlandimports.com
maitland
Out of Control

Postby sBox » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:05 am

Event Details
Tarheel BMW CCA is very strict on the DE only for insurance purposes--$100 per event I think. Four run groups, four 25m sessions (yes all 25m are yours unlike PBOC) and no TT or races. $8/day tickets for lunch, so free lunch both days and you get other swag such as T-shirts, keychains, etc.: nice touches all.

Accommodations
There is a tavern at the track for afterwards, and an inn settled in the woods away from the track for family. There are a few trackside rooms above some enclosed, lockable garages which overlooked the straight. Double/single beds available with fridges and coffee for $100/night. Hotels in town are about 25m away and the club got a group rate of $70 for us. I'm not sure if the pit stalls were included with the trackside rooms but they would be worth looking into.

Parking
The parking sites were on kitty litter which makes everything dirty. Some folks brought tarps or garage tiling for the cars to make things easier and cleaner. The track owners do not allow people to jack up on the pavement, but the kitty litter is packed down hard enough to work.
Plenty of room to park anyhow.

Track
The track layout was great. We had the north section which was 2m+, but they do have events with the full track -- this time a motorcycle group had the smaller south portion. There are a few spots where the track laid down some laminate to improve grip in dangerous sections where the course is railed in without much run off. While this is good, you have to watch out for the transition off it if under power.

Saturday was great, but Sunday brought the rain. No one stopped. Everyone was all about track time, and was going to use all of it damnit. They probably would have continued even with lightning.

This is what it looked like in Winter of this year. All the trees are missing the leaves and the grass is brown, but hopefully you get the idea of what a beautiful place this was. Everyone was talking about this event as if it was a badge of honor. It was about 35F with ice in places. Sunday it began to snow and they eventually and reluctantly called the day after two sessions. These folks are all about their track time and kept on going until they pulled the plug.
sBox
Barely in Control

Postby maitland » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:09 am

Just got back from VIR. Wow what a fun track. Climbing esses in a fast car are a real thrill ride. Managed a 1:59.7 during the UTCC on Friday. We had some setup issues with the GT2 as it corded the slicks on the rear in very few laps.
Ian
03 Cooper S > RMW Topmount Rotrex Supercharger Kit 350whp, Vipec ECU, RMW Crankshaft, Group 4 Aero, OSGiken LSD Clutch/Flywheel, RWM Header/RACE cam/Cylinder Head, AST coilovers.
maitland
Out of Control

Postby sBox » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:15 am

I'm almost sorry I'm going to have to spend my track money on a house now. If I had the funds available I would have driven all the way back for their September event.

Did you drive the whole track or South/North course?
sBox
Barely in Control

Postby maitland » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:53 am

Whole track.
Ian
maitland
Out of Control

Return to Track Chat