A mechanic who shall remain nameless - for now

Events in Northeast Florida.

Moderators: Aluvendale, speedy1

A mechanic who shall remain nameless - for now

Postby DiggyDog » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:43 pm

OK, long rant but maybe worth it. Also, i could use some opinions.

A couple of years ago I started taking my 2008 Clubman to a mechanic who shall remain nameless for now. This was after Jim Tambasco left Tom Bush and I thought I could save a few bucks.

Earlier this year I spent a fortune on a new timing chain. A few days after that repair the car started running rough at idel.

I'll jump to the diagnosis Tom Bush gave me and then get back to what happened at The Mechanic Who Shall Remain Nameless For Now.

The problem is what TB called a "massive oil leak" on the back side of the engine. They said that The Mechanic should not have missed this. Oil was dripping onto the oxygen sensors, which was causing the engine light to come on and the car to run rough.

Well, back to March when they replaced the timing chain and the car started running rough a few days later. When I brought the car back to them they said that I would just need a new fuel injector. I asked if I could drive it until the end of April until I got my payment for a big show I worked and they said there would be no problem with that. They said it wold not cause any damage but it would just run poorly and get bad mileage.

I took the car back to them at the beginning of May and I waited while they replaced the fuel injector. One injector turned into two but the car was still running rough. They had me come back the next day, and the day after that. It turned into 12 days during which they replaced spark plugs and wiring, inspected the VANOS ( i think they replaced that, too), checked cylinder compression, updated software, checked software, and a few other things. They took the valve cover gasket off at least once during this process (this is important) and a whole bunch of other stuff. They seemed to be at a loss.

I eventually got a bill for $1,500.00 and they talked about some magnets that go near the camshaft or some such BS.

A few days later, the car started running rough again, except now it was stalling out occasionally.

I parked it for a while when we went on vacation but I had to drive it here and there when i got back. Then, last Monday, the serpentine belt shredded. This was the same serpentine belt that The Mechanic replaced less than a year ago,

Off to Tom Bush I went. They diagnosed the oil leak problem in minutes and also noted that the VANOS plug had been broken and The Mechanic had just jammed it back in without a plug, leaving wiring exposed. They also damaged the oil filter housing and the car was 2 and a half quarts low on oil. Finally, they reused the head gasket, causing a small oil leak at one of the corners.

Tom Bush is fixing the oil leaks but now i need new plugs because they are "drenched in oil". Also, I might need a new catylitic converter because they are having trouble getting the oxygen sensors out. He said they are "welded in place".

I'm going to get Tom Bush to write up an expert opinion with the goal of getting a full or partial refund from The Mechanic Who Shall Remain Nameless For Now.

Now the questions:

1. Could this Massive Oil Leak have been caused by The Mechanic when they replaced the timing chain?

2. Could the oil dripping on the oxygen sensors cause them to become fused to the cat converter?

3. Could the small oil leak from reusing the head gasket cause the spark plugs to be drenched in oil?

4. Could the serpentine belt failure be caused by something The Mechanic did wrong when they replaced it?

5. Could the damaged oil filter housing cause the oil sensor to not go off. The light never came on even though it was very low on oil.

Any opinions or help would be appreciated.

I really like the guys at The Mechanic Who Shall Remain Nameless For Now. They are nice and professional and the shop is clean, etc. but I don't think I should have to pay for their mistakes.

DiggyDog
Barely in Control

Re: A mechanic who shall remain nameless - for now

Postby DiggyDog » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:07 am

Well, the plot thickens.

Tom Bush thought they had it fixed but on the way home the same problem started again.

Anyone wanna give me some ideas here before I junk the piece of crap?
DiggyDog
Barely in Control

Postby DiggyDog » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:57 pm

Tom Buhs says I need a new cylinder head to the tune of $6,700.00.

They also say someone removed a bracket that they should not have removed.

Does anyone have any info on this bracket?

They know for sure that it was removed and the car has on,y been to one other Mechanic ever.

I asked Tom Bush to fax me the info and I am waking for it. In the meantime, I can't find anything about a bracket on or near the cylinder head that should not be removed.

I am now pretty certain that the other mechanic screwed up my car when they replaced the timing chain.

Wish me luck. I have to contact them and convince them to pay for he expensive repairs.
DiggyDog
Barely in Control

Postby JBKone » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:54 pm

I'm obviously late to the party, but what happened?????

:popcorn:
JBKone
Keeper of Time

Return to Jacksonville Area MINI Motorers